Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vetta II vs hd500x

I've owned a Vetta II for 11 years and had a HD500X for about 2 years.  The HD500X is a huge step forward in modeling and computing power.  The Vetta II is really nice and you can get some very impressive tones from it but the HD500X is considerably better.

The HD500X sounds amazing through the Vetta II.  I set up an empty patch on the Vetta II, run the HD500X into the fx return and plug a cable or dummy plug into the Vetta II guitar input.  Sounds great.

Thanks DarrellM5 for your response. I do have more questions if you don't mind. Does the vetta have cabinet, amp and mic modelling, if so how does that work? It seems confusing to me. If the vetta is a physical amp plugged into a physical cabinet with their own physical sound characteristics, it seems counterintuitive that any cab or amp modelling within the vetta would be accurate? Won't the physical and amp color the modelling sound? Or is the modelling within the vetta designed with that in account? What I'm getting at is I want to know if it's worth picking up a vetta or am I better off getting something that has a flat response to allow the pod hd500x to work it's magic?

The HD500X does sound amazing through FRFR as well.

When you go into the Vetta II's fx return, you're effectively bypassing the preamp and going into the power amp and then out to the speakers.  I believe you can still make use of Vetta's built in post effects this way.

You have the option to model cabs or to select Bypass for cab models in your Vetta II patch.  This should result in the least amount of coloring your tone possible.

I'll play around with it this weekend and see what all I can accomplish while running into the fx return.

As to whether or not you should get a Vetta or a FRFR solution, that's up to you.  Going into FRFR is much easier, and usually lighter.  If you go the Vetta route, you get a great amp that works by itself as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Longtime Vetta user here.  I really don't think Vetta qualifies for your FRFR and Vetta could be picky about what pedals sounded good in front of the amp.

My gut feel is there's better ways to make your POD sound good.

However, if you can get a Vetta for cheap, wail away! it's a fun amp.  70 amp models!  Plus the best edit software Line6 ever made.  But you might quickly find that modelling has come a long way since the 90's.