Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XPS a/b box - noise!

relayerxxx

I got my Standard last week - enjoying it immensely. I also thought I was being clever scoring a cabled power kit from you-know-where in Germany, as they're pretty hard to get hold of in the UK at the moment. The XPS box is supposed to work with the Standard - even the salesman who sold me the guitar said this was the case, though they didn't have one in stock. However, while it does indeed power the Variax, some very unpleasant digital noise appears after a minute or so of use. I've tried switching TRS cables, output cables, different amps - same issue. Any ideas?

Right, well it seems to be a problem with the Standard itself. The noise disappears if I jiggle the jack a bit in the output and press the plug firmly in one position. Happens with two different TRS cables so it must be something to do with the output socket. I suppose having power and signal in the same location is asking for trouble, which is one of the reasons I got sick of Roland GK stuff.

Yes, all true, but as I said in my original post the noise sounds digital in nature rather than a ground hum. (Sounds a bit like an old dial-up modem going in the background.) Also, I've tried switching all cables, both TRS and the output to the amp. Anyway, the store I bought it from is suggesting I take the guitar in and test it out against another. Of course I know what's going to happen - it'll all work fine in the shop and then crap out again as soon as I get back home.

Ground lift,... if it sounds like a dial up modem or fax machine squeal, then there a

ground lift somewhere, and it's allowing the clock or data stream to demodulate onto

the audio line. Now it's a matter of finding out at what point,... guitar? cable? or amp?

Take it all to the shop, so they can go thru the entire signal chain, narrow it down and

tease it out.