Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Favorite amps and setting?

shredjsx

I prefer starting with the amp and getting a good articulate tone and bite.

Question: without effects, distortion pedals, ect

What is your favorite amp/ cabinet/ mic combinations?

Some standard initional settings can be muddy no matter what you do...

Since I bought the expansion packs have been getting into those, mostly the orange and marshal;.

But I got to say, most of the amps new and old are pretty good.

I often work on the amp and cab only and get what sounds good. Much as you do.

Most of the amps can be gotten to sound good with some tweaks.

I do my editing on the HD500 itself rarely via EDIT software. 

Because of my poor eyesight I cannot tell you what I am selecting half the time and go by what sounds good.

In office at moment and will have to look at it when I get there with glasses on.

Been thinking of just erasing all the presets as out of space and am overwriting alot. (anyone know a easier way than copy paste a blank slot.

Finally though a year or so ago I downloaded a bunch of Customtone patches and found some guys make interesting patches that I'd never dream of so Auditioning some of those can reveal some Gems but only if you have the time.

Remember to disregard the ones that don't work for you but even so some just need some refining to work great and often do better with an amp of your liking.

• Upvote 1

For heavier rock tones I start with the Marshall JCM 800 through the closed back Marshall cab with SM-57 off axis.

For crunchy british sounds like the Who or the Stones I go to the Vox AC30 Fawn Bright from the vintage pack through Vox silver bell speakers with SM57 off axis.

For cleaner blues similar to BB King and some jazz stuff I use the Roland JC20 from the vintage pack through it's normal speakers with an 87 condensor.

For classic rock tones I really like the Pete Anderson custom through the Fender Deluxe cabinet with SM57 off axis.

I've also found the Soldano through a Marshall cab with SM57 off axis to be a very versatile combination as well as the HiWatt using a condensor mic.

Depends on the guitar. 

Bassman (especially through the Z cabinet) works for every guitar just fine.

I also like the Z a lot, and the /13.

I've used the Gibtone even more than those (but not as much as the bassman)

And lately I've discovered the Orange in the Vintage pack for humbucker guitars. OH WOW!

Thanks guys keep them comming given me a lot of ideas I haven tried, I tend to stick to the classic Marshall vintage Celestion 25 cab with most of my amps, and stick to Soldono and JCM 800 amps, though

I tried the Vox AC15 and 30 and heard right away that classic Zeppelin heartbreaker tone

Thanks guys keep them comming given me a lot of ideas I haven tried, I tend to stick to the classic Marshall vintage Celestion 25 cab with most of my amps, and stick to Soldono and JCM 800 amps, though

I tried the Vox AC15 and 30 and heard right away that classic Zeppelin heartbreaker tone

Depends on the guitar.

Very much so, as well as what sound you're going for.

For anything high gain I use dual amps: PV Panama/Tread cab/57on and Big Bottom/Uber cab/409, sometimes boosted with a tube comp, and always boosted and bass cut with the screamer (gate after).

Because of the two pre gain stages, I keep both amp gains under 45% most of the time. I also use a PEQ to cut an annoying high-mid frequency.

This is what I'd use for a basic starting rhythm tone, adding effects at this point when and where necessary. Sometimes I hit the DSP ceiling and need to cut the BBottom amp.

For low to mid gain tones I like a lot off different amps. The orange, all the marshals for different reasons, the Super O for gritty fuzz tones and the regular old Blackface for cleans

"Thanks guys keep them comming given me a lot of ideas I haven tried, I tend to stick to the classic Marshall vintage Celestion 25 cab"

Which one are you meaning here? The Greenback one? That's one of my favourites, too.

No matter what I do I always come back to the 'ol JCM800 + T75 Combo. Don't know why. Maybe because my first "real" amp was a 100watts JCM800 clone.

+ For Cleans 90% of the time the Fender "Double". Because I am lazy as lollipop, I don't give a F*** about my Clean tone and it's always the first in the list. Okay, It's also quite clean but has a bit of "filth" when you use higher output PUs (I'm using SD Sh5 and Sh4 and EMG85s).

It does give a good Crunch sound, too, when bundled with a Tubescreamer.

Yeah the green back cab... Smoother breakup at a lower gain....

The best sounding amp I've ever had was a 5150 combo, the speakers were based on ones like the Celestion greenbacks with some of the magnetic pull out of them...

Cons, no real clean Channel and noises as heck...

For cleans I found that the Roland, or Jazz Rivet sounds cool out of the gate...

I do come back to the JCM800 ALOT too...

But the Soldono Gain set on a lower setting breaks up great at full volume and dial the guitar back a bit and it cleans up and sounds great....

My Soldono bank I only have a gain and an overdrive stage...

I just cleared and entire set list, each channel only having a Volume pedal...

Then I put each amp on all the banks so I could try each one out with no preset effects thanks to you guys telling me what you use...

I think we tend to stick with what we know...

I know Marshalls, I love Soldono amps for the 6l6 warmth, I know the Greenback Cab....

Now it's time to experiment and mark which ones are worth working with....

I have always been chasing that tone in my head....

I played a Fender Rod Deville at guitar center and loved the gain channel, was surprised, I usually avoid fender amps...

It's hard to explain the tone in my head....

I love the sound of EVH on the Carnal Knowledge CD....

I love the neck solo/sustain of Carlos Santana

And the pinch harmonic squeal of Dokken/ George Lynch....

I want it to hit you in the chest with the bass without loosing the Mids and get some smooth highs... All the same volume....

I used to use a BBE sonic maximizer in my racks and that helped a lot ....

Any suggestions from any of the other gear heads on here?

Which leads me a lot to Marsall and Soldono amps....

I want my tone

I do quite a few Santana sounds and I tend to prefer the Fender Deluxe with the 112 speaker and 57 on axis as the core amp due to it's inherent warmth.  I use a bit of gain on the amp but use a tube drive to add a bit of gain as well to the basic sound which is slightly crunchy/punchy/clean.  Then I kick in a Tube Screamer for the leads with about 65% gain to get those nice singing sustain tones.

Really like the AC30 / Bassman / Deluxe & Park Models - they're probably the ones I use the most, I generally keep to the matched cabs but switch up the mics till I find one that sounds good ( I find with most of the Amp models there are at least a couple of mics that sound good )

The Divided by 13 is another favourite of mine and again I tend to leave both the cab and the mic at default.

For most of the other amps I use ( Dr Z , JTM,  Plexi , JCM ( new version ), Soldano Clean/Crunch, Orange ) I play around with the cabs/mics a little more than the others.

A couple of pretty cool Amp/Cab combinations I have stumbled across recently are the Bassman into the Blackback cab and the Fender Twin into the same cab.

( Fender models seem to love the Blackback cab)

I think I have a new fav amp. I fooled around with the 'ol J45 Brt. I have to say: WIth the Tube Driver in front it really roars. I have made an Dual Amp Patch based on yesterdays thread about the 5150 comparison. I tried the Tread 4x12 along with the SM57 on axis left and the 421 right. A rather obscure idea, but the modern Tread Cab compliments the rather bassy and Vintage sounding J45.

Can someone tell me if it's any good, or just to my ears?

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1540110/

I'll have to try that, I just created a bank with a J 45 as the clean, a Pexi 100 lead as the rhythm, the JCM 800 as the overdrive and the 2204 as the lead....

Surprisingly I actually like some of Line 6 own tones.... The Eletrik has 6l6 smooth sound with gain to spare.... I may be creating a bank around that...

I fooled around with the 'ol J45 Brt. I have to say: WIth the Tube Driver in front it really roars... the modern Tread Cab compliments the rather bassy and Vintage sounding J45.

I fooled around with the J45 Brt and matched it up with the Tread with the 57on to my liking (my cab/mic of choice usually) with a Tube driver out front as well. I really like how it sounds.

The Roland and it's cab sounds awesome too. Id use it for a darker clean jazzy tone or perhaps a good clean base for some trippy fx. The amp controls are pretty useful as well (ive found this isn't the case with a lot of models).

I'm also really liking the GK bass amp ran alongside a slightly overdriven Plexi 100 for two-handed tapping on my baritone 8 string

• 1 year later...