Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD desktop input 2 settings Guitar,Same or Mic?

xxxsoundxxx

I know this has been debated a ton for the HD500 but I have been searching for a answer for the HD bean.

When setting input 2 source, I have a choice  of guitar ,same or mic. Guitar and same sound the same but when I switch to mic, the sound seems to clear up (especially distortions) but be a bit thinner. There is no "Variac" choice like on a HD 500

Has anyone got to the bottom of which should be used for intended sounds?

As a rule of thumb set input one to “guitarâ€, because the built in tuner is tied to input one only. Set input two to either “same†or to “micâ€. When you set input two to “mic†only input one is actually used, this will lower the input signal with roughly 6dB’s. So the input signal is less hot. Remember that if you only use input one there is no signal on that second path. So if you put an effect in this second pad it will not get a signal. To make it more complicated there are effects that are stereo preserving and other that “sum to monoâ€. After a sum-to-mono effect the second path will get a signal after all, because a mono effect will split the incoming signal in two output signals (of half the strength). Whether to set input two to guitar, same or mic is up to you, it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Use whatever you believe sounds best.

I would like to hear it from line 6 engineers. Since the sound changes so drastically, one of the two sounds were the way they were moddled/intended.

Seems to me they should have offered a kill or mute second path option instead of setting to mic to have one path and a cleaner signal. I'm afraid of an "open" active input creating noise? An explanation of the drastic sound change would have been nice too to confirm it is acceptable to set 2nd channel to mic to clear up things.

When using "same" I hear some grit in all sounds that is not pleasing it is covered up somewhat in the distortions but the cleans really show it.

Dial up a super -o  turn the master to 50% and switch between same and mic and you'll see.

.... Remember that if you only use input one there is no signal on that second path. So if you put an effect in this second pad it will not get a signal. .....

That's only true if you are using a dual-path preset that has no FX placed before the path split. If your dual-path setup splits the paths somewhere after the first FX in the chain then both paths will receive its input from Input 1.

I have gotten to the bottom of it for myself...Please take or leave my answer. I hope it helps you a bit as there really isn't a single answer for this.

Input 2=Same is the default. This was chosen so that dual tones would have the best chance of working without the user having to visit the Setup Menu. However, there are some effect models that will actually model clipping if you run a single amp chain since the input is doubled. However, this additional level is actually beneficial in some cases for some models. The simplest example of this that I can give would be the Park model. This is a very low gain amp that has an amazing breakup is you can manage to slam the front of the amp model with a lot of level.

In terms of cleaning up the HD Bean for a single tone path, set Input 2=Mic and turn the mic trim all the way down. This also offers the best noise floor since Input 2=Same on a single amp path doubles it...

Anyway, that's my opinion. good luck.

Funny I called line 6 about this and tech support had no clue what I was talking about and claimed to never hear anything like this about POD HD units.

Geesh talk about being dissconnected from your job.

That's comforting...welcome to the new "normal", where nobody knows, and nobody cares, lol. Ugh...

also, until now over the years I have never seen a patch made by L6 staff that use the single input approach,

question:

if the single input approach really was the right and better working solution, would not be in the L6 interest to use it in their patches to put the best light on their device?

The first rule of the Line 6 Club is... you never talk about Input 2 settings! Some time ago they released Queensryche's patches and the settings were all standard. Are they all masochists? :lol: One day we will know the real truth behind the POD signal chain, even if we will have to decipher some Nostradamus prophecy...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...