Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XPS A/B Box - Noise!

I've already posted this in the Variax Standard section, but perhaps you JTV people can help me out as the Standard has the same basic architecture as the JTVs and may well be prone to a similar issue. When I got my variax a couple of weeks ago I was a bit nervous about relying on battery power exclusively, so I thought I was being clever scoring a cabled power kit from you-know-where in Germany, as they're pretty hard to get hold of in the UK at the moment. The XPS box is supposed to work with the Standard and the JTV - even the salesman who sold me the guitar said this was the case, though they didn't have one in stock. However, while it does indeed power the Variax, some very unpleasant digital noise appears after a minute or so of use. I've tried switching TRS cables, output cables, different amps - same issue. Works fine on the battery. Has anyone else experienced this with the XPS? 

I've already posted this in the Variax Standard section, but perhaps you JTV people can help me out as the Standard has the same basic architecture as the JTVs and may well be prone to a similar issue. When I got my variax a couple of weeks ago I was a bit nervous about relying on battery power exclusively, so I thought I was being clever scoring a cabled power kit from you-know-where in Germany, as they're pretty hard to get hold of in the UK at the moment. The XPS box is supposed to work with the Standard and the JTV - even the salesman who sold me the guitar said this was the case, though they didn't have one in stock. However, while it does indeed power the Variax, some very unpleasant digital noise appears after a minute or so of use. I've tried switching TRS cables, output cables, different amps - same issue. Works fine on the battery. Has anyone else experienced this with the XPS?

Well you ruled out the cables and amps, so it's either the box or the guitar. If you can find a POD somewhere, try powering it that way. If it works, then I think it safe to say the problem is the A/B box.

I've had this problem with my A/B box. You need to either get a new box, or find another way to power your guitar.

The battery isn't that bad. It'll last you a good while and you can recharge it when you go to bed.

I use it when I want to just use the guitar and amp and not my POD HD500.

I just posted this in the Variax Standard section:

Right, well it seems to be a problem with the Standard itself. The noise disappears if I jiggle the jack a bit in the output and press the plug firmly in one position. Happens with two different TRS cables so it must be something to do with the output socket. I suppose having power and signal in the same location is asking for trouble, which is one of the reasons I got sick of Roland GK stuff.