Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My opinion about Helix Effects to add and some little complains.

Paolo_Maina

First i have to say that i like all amps models and dynamics is very good.

1) i don't like overdrives and distortions pedals are all midrangy all like Ts9.

2) The fuzzes are all too much extreme soundings i'd like sometthing like Fuzzface or Fulltone 69 or the fuzz made by Keeley something less extreme.

3) there is no doubler effect  i'd need a slight cents detune less than a semitone minimum.

3) there is no auto volume swell

4) there is no auto pan

5) i don't understand why the global eq doesn't work with USB output too, i need it.

6) the tuner is not very precise.

7) I understand that Leslie models sound exact like the vintage machine but the sound is muffled when engaged i dont' like them. ( the univibe is great) what about a leslie modern hifi sound model?

1) i don't like overdrives and distortions pedals are all midrangy all like Ts9.

2) The fuzzes are all too much extreme soundings i'd like sometthing like Fuzzface or Fulltone 69 or the fuzz made by Keeley something less extreme.

3) there is no doubler effect  i'd need a slight cents detune less than a semitone minimum.

4) there is no auto pan

5) i don't understand why the global eq doesn't work with USB output too, i need it.

7) I understand that Leslie models sound exact like the vintage machine but the sound is muffled when engaged i dont' like them. ( the univibe is great) what about a leslie modern hifi sound model?

Few things:

The Arbitrator Fuzz is a Fuzz Face model.

I'm surprised you say that all the ODs and drives are mid-rangy. I don't think the Klon (Minotaur) model is all that mid-rangy. It can be on some settings. I definitely would call the OCD model mid-rangy.

For the Leslie models, try turning off the cab model when you use them. They are ideally used in place of the cab model.

• Upvote 2

4) there is no auto pan

1. The valve driver is alright, the only one I've used so far. But I generally like a lot of midrange.

2. Fuzz this, fuzz that. What is it with fuzzes? Is it a fad? Never like them. Just my opinion.

3. You can do stuff to create a doubler effect. One thing I do is put a ping-pong delay in a parallel path just before the output. Time: 0, FB: 0, Adjust scale to taste, Adjust spread to taste, Mix: 100%, Low and High cut: off. The new dual-delay would work also, without the need for wasting a path split.

3. I'm patiently waiting for this one.

4. There may be an effect in there somewhere where it effectively becomes an auto-pan. Haven't looked too closely yet.

5. Use a parametric eq block at the end, before the output, as a possible work-around.

6. Works ok for me, I guess. Seems accurate enough. Perhaps the guitar your using has some intonation problems.

7. Haven't looked at these.

I do almost exclusively home recording.

former mutieffect was boss GT001 and global eq works always with all outputs and I think also GT100 do the same.

I don't understand why they dedice to exclude the usb output.

Helix costs about 7 times GT001 and 3 times GT100 so my expectations are very high like the price I paid for it.

1. The valve driver is alright, the only one I've used so far. But I generally like a lot of midrange.

2. Fuzz this, fuzz that. What is it with fuzzes? Is it a fad? Never like them. Just my opinion.

3. You can do stuff to create a doubler effect. One thing I do is put a ping-pong delay in a parallel path just before the output. Time: 0, FB: 0, Adjust scale to taste, Adjust spread to taste, Mix: 100%, Low and High cut: off. The new dual-delay would work also, without the need for wasting a path split.

3. I'm patiently waiting for this one.

4. There may be an effect in there somewhere where it effectively becomes an auto-pan. Haven't looked too closely yet.

5. Use a parametric eq block at the end, before the output, as a possible work-around.

6. Works ok for me, I guess. Seems accurate enough. Perhaps the guitar your using has some intonation problems.

7. Haven't looked at these.

I have a tc electronic poly tune clip and works much better than helix tuner and if you want there is a YouTube video comparison made by a helix owner who compare helix and other two tuners showing that problem.

My guitar has no tuning problem it's a telecaster so it has no floating bridge.

Few things:

The Arbitrator Fuzz is a Fuzz Face model.

I'm surprised you say that all the ODs and drives are mid-rangy. I don't think the Klon (Minotaur) model is all that mid-rangy. It can be on some settings. I definitely would call the OCD model mid-rangy.

For the Leslie models, try turning off the cab model when you use them. They are ideally used in place of the cab model.

Thanks I will try your suggestion about Leslie but I must say it's not very practical

you want to make preset you must have the opportunity to switch on and off Leslie like any other effect as you please.

If you need to switch on and off the cabinet at same time all became more complicated.

Maybe it works but you might agree that's a palliative.

Leslie as to be an effect block like the others.

they must program an automatic bypass of the cabinet when Leslie is on.

No, I mean I get WHAT you're using it for, but if you're recording into a DAW you have a plethora of advanced, surgical EQ tools at your disposal. If I'm not mistaken the intended use for the Global EQ on these devices is tuning the total output to a specific space for live performance. If you're having to drastically alter your Global EQ settings to get good recorded tones, something is amiss in the signal chain.

I do almost exclusively home recording.
former mutieffect was boss GT001 and global eq works always with all outputs and I think also GT100 do the same.
I don't understand why they dedice to exclude the usb output.
Helix costs about 7 times GT001 and 3 times GT100 so my expectations are very high like the price I paid for it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks I will try your suggestion about Leslie but I must say it's not very practical

you want to make preset you must have the opportunity to switch on and off Leslie like any other effect as you please.

If you need to switch on and off the cabinet at same time all became more complicated.

Maybe it works but you might agree that's a palliative.

Leslie as to be an effect block like the others.

they must program an automatic bypass of the cabinet when Leslie is on.

It's really easy to program the rotary effect and the regular cabinet to the same footswitch. Just set them up so they toggle opposite of one another. The thing about the Leslie effect is, well, it's a model of a cabinet. So it makes sense that you'd turn the cabinet modeling off when using it.

• Upvote 1

No, I mean I get WHAT you're using it for, but if you're recording into a DAW you have a plethora of advanced, surgical EQ tools at your disposal. If I'm not mistaken the intended use for the Global EQ on these devices is tuning the total output to a specific space for live performance. If you're having to drastically alter your Global EQ settings to get good recorded tones, something is amiss in the signal chain.

I use sonar but this is not the point .

I don't understand why I owned a cheaper device which gave me some options I want the same or better options.

Why it need to put limitations? You program a global eq? well! make it disposable for all outputs there is no sense to exclude usb if I want I will use it or not.

I know I can do eq in a several ways but that's not the point.

I think the whole point of the Global EQ is for making venue-specific adjustments. You plug into a PA in one room and you find all your presets sound a little bassy, so you just dial in the Global EQ accordingly. If you're recording via USB into a DAW, just make EQ adjustments in the DAW. That's a much better way to go anyway, because you really don't want your EQ baked into the recording.

• Upvote 1

I think the whole point of the Global EQ is for making venue-specific adjustments. You plug into a PA in one room and you find all your presets sound a little bassy, so you just dial in the Global EQ accordingly. If you're recording via USB into a DAW, just make EQ adjustments in the DAW. That's a much better way to go anyway, because you really don't want your EQ baked into the recording.

I completely agree with this Phil. When you record a singer do you equalize the voice before recording? Or afterwords to make it sit in the mix?

I don't see the point in having global eq on USB.