Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

vocal recordings via helix xlr preamp

JeffersteinVS

anyone try recording via usb to daw vocals from helix yet?  have a few questions.

1. does helix have a gain adjustment for the preamp and does it show when the mic is clipping?

2. how does the actual preamp sound by itself with a nice mic?

3. are you guys finding use of the modeled pre amps in the helix? I know they have a studio preamp model.

1) you can adjust the gain in the Global Settings. I set mine to 30 and it matches the output of the trim control on my Mackie board.

2) I am using a Shute Beta 58 for live vocals via Helix. The pre sounds as good as the pre in the Mackie DL1608 to me.

3) I'm not using a preamp block on my vocal path. Just boosted the signal globally. I have compressor, delay and slight reverb. I also put in a harmonizer block set to + 3rd. Uses sparingly, it's pretty good.

1) As above, you can control the input gain from global settings. But there's no metering or clip indicator.

2) I haven't really used the Mic input that much as I use a TC Helicon Harmony G-XT into Helix returns 3/4. That does indeed sound very good.

3) The preamp block is useful for some voicing - primarily using the drive to provide some saturation distortion, and using the low and high-pass filters for mid-focus voicing. But this preamp doesn't have tone controls voiced of acoustic or vocal instruments. So far, POD HD500X and Helix have avoided providing the nice preamp models that were in the POD X3Live. I do hope this is addressed in a future update. It would make Helix much more flexible and usable for a wider range of instruments.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

1) As above, you can control the input gain from global settings. But there's no metering or clip indicator.

2) I haven't really used the Mic input that much as I use a TC Helicon Harmony G-XT into Helix returns 3/4. That does indeed sound very good.

3) The preamp block is useful for some voicing - primarily using the drive to provide some saturation distortion, and using the low and high-pass filters for mid-focus voicing. But this preamp doesn't have tone controls voiced of acoustic or vocal instruments. So far, POD HD500X and Helix have avoided providing the nice preamp models that were in the POD X3Live. I do hope this is addressed in a future update. It would make Helix much more flexible and usable for a wider range of instruments.

If I am understanding this correctly, the only way to use the physical Pre-amp that comes with the helix is plugging a microphone into the "Mic INPUT" on the helix? Is it not accessed when running guitar into your helix and USB-ing to the computer? I'm new to the whole thing but I owned a Scarlett 2i2 first generation which had HORRIBLE mic clipping for the guitar and I want to make sure the helix pre-amps do not have the same problem both for guitar and vocals. Does that make sense? Perhaps they didn't feel the need to include preamp models because of the studio grade preamp that comes equipped? That is a good point though, would the preamp models let you close other audio interfaces? 

Gain control is in the Global settings page, as mentioned. It sounds "fine" on its own, as in it pretty much puts out exactly what you put into it. I just did some really aggressive death metal vocal recording this weekend with it. For that particular sound I used the Studio Comp with the DarkGlass model in front of it for a little bit of breakup, and it sounds 'uge!

• 10 months later...

I cant seem to get any signal in to Pro Tools/ Logic from Helix. My DAWs found helix and playing through it. Can't get any input signal though. What USB should i use? 1/2, 2/3 or 3/4? Or use multi? None of them worked for me. Anyone faced this problem?

In the Helix, your output needs to be "multi" so that you hear is over what ever monitoring device you are using, as well as sending through USB 1/2. Then in Logic, you need to set your input for the track to USB 1/2.