Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Exp Toe Switch Output Killer

rsto10

I had this same thing happen to me on Dec. 4th at a gig.

I don't know what caused it. But the output from the XLR to the board for the P.A. would just randomly stop having any output. Didn't matter what I tried I couldn't make it work again. ​

I wasn't using the wah pedal at the time either. I tried to figure out the common denominator of why it's doing it...but it seemed to be a random thing.

We played 3 one hour sets that night and in every set it went out on me a couple of times. All I could do was turn the damn thing off and then wait for forever while it rebooted.
It was NOT cool to have that happening during a live gig. :(

Check and see if it's a mono or stereo block. I had a mono block wah on a stereo path and it would mute the outputs.

You might be onto something. I checked all my failing patches and somehow I had a stereo Wah for my mono path. I haven't been able to test them extensively, but I changed them all to mono. It doesn't really explain why only a reboot brings back the sound, as you would think turning the wah block off would simply restore the signal path. Perhaps it's a firmware bug? I'll keep everyone posted as I do more testing.

It took me a while to figure out. The problem exhibited the same way:engage the wah via the toe switch, then when disengaging the wah, outputs were muted until the Helix read rebooted. I'm not sure why the outputs worked before engaging the wah, but it happened ever time until I changed to a stereo wah block.

But as I said...it happened to me a couple of times per set at my gig. I wasn't using the wah when it happened on any of the times. So it's not just the wah pedal causing it.

Hey Robbie,

Did the patch you were using have a wah pedal in the chain (maybe disengaged), or no wah pedal/controller anywhere in sight?

Yes sir. I have the wah pedal in the first position of all my guitar patches (except acoustic).  But I only use it on certain leads. The thing shut down on all 3 sets a couple of times. Including sets that I didn't use the wah at all. But it DID shut down each time when I was using one of the footswitches to either change a patch or boost a lead or add an effect. I'm thinking it can be ANY footswitch that triggers it.

Aaaaand....there it goes. After changing the wah to mono I played it on and off all morning without it cutting out. Left the unit on. Came back after about 45 minutes, stepped on the (now mono) wah and it died. So that's not the answer. Ugh. Back to square one.

Yes sir. I have the wah pedal in the first position of all my guitar patches (except acoustic).  But I only use it on certain leads. The thing shut down on all 3 sets a couple of times. Including sets that I didn't use the wah at all. But it DID shut down each time when I was using one of the footswitches to either change a patch or boost a lead or add an effect. I'm thinking it can be ANY footswitch that triggers it.

Don't say that!  So far (knock on wood) mine has only cut out when using the toe switch.  This thing better not become that Farrari that looks amazing in your garage, but you can't drive it anywhere because it might break down...

From Line 6 today : "We've recently found out that the audio cut out that you've found is due to a firmware issue, not hardware. Currently we are working on a fix that will be released as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience."

​This was posted on the Facebook Helix User's group.

• Upvote 1

This is disturbing.  While I have not experienced this yet (I use limited WAH, if that is indeed the culprit somehow), I am hoping to take the Helix live for shows beginning in January.  I can understand the occasional bug, with workarounds --- that's part of the digital world we live in.  But losing all audio during a show (and for robbieb61 --- EVERY SET) --- is completely unacceptable.  This should really go to the very top of Line 6's bug fix queue.  

Can those that are experiencing this answer this:   Does this loss of audio ever happen on a patch in which there is no WAH block at all?  Like robbieb61, I have a WAH block in all my patches, though use the effect sparingly.  Maybe I'll just kill the WAH block entirely for live performances and sacrifice the occasional WAH in favor of full-time audio.

New Update fixes this issue !!

HELIX FIRMWARE v1.04.3 RELEASE NOTES

IMPORTANT! Before restoring your backed up presets to Helix, you must first install the latest version of the Helix application!

Helix v1.04.3 is a free firmware update that includes fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

It is also recommended that you back up your current presets by using the Helix application to create a preset bundle, allowing you to install new presets as part of the update process.

The easiest way to perform the update process is by installing the latest version of Line 6 Updater. Once you've connected Helix to your computer via its USB port (hubs are not supported), Line 6 Updater will recognize the unit and take you through the update process. The Line 6 Updater application may be downloaded here: http://line6.com/software/

BUG FIXES

In rare cases, engaging the expression pedal toe switch may cause the 1/4" and XLR outputs to stop passing audio, while the rest of the unit appears to be functioning normally. Audio could only be restored by turning Helix off and back on again —FIXED

General stability improvements

Other minor bug fixes and optimizations

RESETTING HELIX GLOBALS

IMPORTANT! This procedure will completely overwrite all existing presets and setlists, as well as clear all user IRs and reset all global settings! Back up your presets and IRs before proceeding!

Turn off Helix.

While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

Known Issues

Assigning a custom label to the EXP Toe Switch scribble strip disconnects wah blocks Position parameter from EXP 1; can be manually reassigned

Pressing BYPASS while viewing the Model List > Looper category can invert Looper footswitch behavior

Saving a preset to a new destination may display the wrong preset name until it's reloaded

While a loop is playing, changing from a preset with the Looper block on Path 1 to one with the Looper block on Path 2 may cause a small portion of the recorded loop to play

Minor pops and clicks may be present when Helix is streaming audio from a Mac® running OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan)

Minor pops and clicks may be present when Helix is streaming audio from an iOS® device running iOS 9 with Apple® Camera Kit

Importing a Helix bundle while streaming audio over USB may cause the Helix application to disconnect

In rare cases, Amp+Cab or Cab > Dual parameter graphics may overlap the action panel buttons while in Pedal Edit mode

Changing a delay with note subdivision time will unsync resultant delay time from Preset/Global BPM

• Upvote 1