Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix editor?! When?! Now

pv5150man

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it at NAMM and did ask, and they said a couple of weeks.  They were not demoing at as such, but it was running on a computer there.  I didn't see it operate either, just on the main screen.   I DO NOT think it was vaperware as until the sales rep got distracted, I'm pretty sure he was going to show it to me.  

Anyway, it's been a couple of weeks, but we all know what NAMM really stands for right?  Not Available until Mid March.

I was doing fine with the Helix on a desk, but I'm starting to get into programming expression pedals... which really needs to have the unit on the floor.

• Upvote 1

mileskb, on 12 Feb 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:snapback.png

Anyway, it's been a couple of weeks, but we all know what NAMM really stands for right?  Not Available until Mid March.

I've always heard it "Not Available, Maybe May."

Busted....  I was combining poetic license with wishful thinking.

I've always heard it stood for "Not available mother******, shut your mouth, Shaft"  (I know missed an "M" but mileskb did refer to poetic license and I can't resist the opportunity for an Isaac Hayes quote :D ).

mileskb, on 12 Feb 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:snapback.png

I've always heard it stood for "Not available mother******, shut your mouth, Shaft"  (I know missed an "M" but mileskb did refer to poetic license and I can't resist the opportunity for an Isaac Hayes quote :D ).

Not Available Mother****ing Mother****er

aCk!!! :P

Thanks for figuring out a way to get that extra "M" in there  :D

I hope it comes out soon. I have had some issues with the software mixing up patches changing impulses in presets and basically hammering my setlists. I had a show last saturday and i went through and restored my patches only to find they were all mixed up, clean tones were high gain tones etc it did not make for a fun 4 hour set. I have upgraded to the latest version and saved my patches using the latest version as well as the older ones but to no avail. I am now going through my setlist for the fourth time re building my patches. It is my only complaint with this system I love everything else but the software seems too unstable and unpredictable atm. Maybe im the only one who has had these issues? I hope so. Waiting for May in anticipation...

. Maybe im the only one who has had these issues? I hope so. Waiting for May in anticipation...

You're not.  Having said that, back that mother up constantly and it will make your life a more pleasant experience.

Oh...and May is (hopefully) a joke.

If you guys saw it ar Namm it certainly won't take 6more months of dev round. 

On that note, I'd rather have a buggy but useable version with a path of improvement than no version at all,

the current patch management only Helix app is clearly not enough.

But hey, the Helix being really a Killer product, I understand they want to accompany it with a killer app.

If you guys saw it ar Namm it certainly won't take 6more months of dev round.

On that note, I'd rather have a buggy but useable version with a path of improvement than no version at all,

the current patch management only Helix app is clearly not enough.

But hey, the Helix being really a Killer product, I understand they want to accompany it with a killer app.

I am very cautious about a buggy version. The last thing I want to find out after a couple of months of using a buggy editor is that none of my tweaked presets can be restored to the next version of the firmware or that something subtle has been altered in every preset that I edited. I would be happy to use one that has features that still need to be added or obvious bugs that can easily be addressed but I would rather wait for an editor that is somewhat solid than have it negatively impact my presets. I also hope that the codeline for the editor has been written with an eye to easily keeping it in synch with firmware upgrades. Otherwise my experience has been that the editor can actually slow down or even eliminate firmware fixes and upgrades as the editor often has to be modified in tandem with the firmware.

Too bad they will most likely bypass the iPad for editing.

The Helix should have had Bluetooth. Just for editing in one patch, or make a new patch while traveling, and testing it when back home.

Maybe it's hidden inside the unit, to be activated in a future firmware update......not !

Bluetooth 4.0 has a max speed of 25 mbps, with about 20kb per patch, that could be 1250 patches per second. I wouldn't even mind to wait 1 minute to sync my whole patch list.

Plus I'm more interested in editing just one patch, not to sync my whole patch list.

But its a great unit nevertheless.

I bought Helix a couple of days ago in Italy.

I cannot believe Line6 does not have an editor available and, much worse, it is not even able to tell when the editor will be released.

I'm wondering if my best option could be to ship Helix back to seller and buy another modeling stuff....

I bought Helix a couple of days ago in Italy.

I cannot believe Line6 does not have an editor available and, much worse, it is not even able to tell when the editor will be released.

I'm wondering if my best option could be to ship Helix back to seller and buy another modeling stuff....

They were OK releasing it without the editor because its super simple to program without it.

Just try and program three different configuration (amp and PA, frfr and PA, amp s/r) for all the patches you need and, no matter how simple it is, it'll drive you crazy.

Moreover the answer is still missing: when will the editor be released?

Just try and program three different configuration (amp and PA, frfr and PA, amp s/r) for all the patches you need and, no matter how simple it is, it'll drive you crazy.

Moreover the answer is still missing: when will the editor be released?

I will drive you crazy with the editor too ;-)

Yep, I'm tired of having mine on a table for programming.  Much easier to have the laptop on my

computer stand (tall enough to type/click while standing), and then be able to use foot pedals

to test everything out when building/modifying patches.

It's not that the Helix isn't easy to program on the interface, it's just better for those of us that are

modding on the fly while at our DAW when recording, or doing a little adjustment on our presets.

Oh well... at least I love the Helix itself!  I can wait a few more impatiently.   :wub:

Yep, I'm tired of having mine on a table for programming.  Much easier to have the laptop on my

computer stand (tall enough to type/click while standing), and then be able to use foot pedals

to test everything out when building/modifying patches.

It's not that the Helix isn't easy to program on the interface, it's just better for those of us that are

modding on the fly while at our DAW when recording, or doing a little adjustment on our presets.

Oh well... at least I love the Helix itself!  I can wait a few more impatiently.   :wub:

I even bought a stand for the Helix.

I insist on that editor, anyway. There's no alternative (to that workflow).

• Upvote 1

Other than getting rid of the bending over stuff, I think you guys might end up being disappointed in the Editor.

It's exactly like the screen of the unit, only without all the knobs, and using the mouse will, I predict, end up being less easy than just putting the unit on your desk while editing and on the floor while playing...

Just my thought. Fortunately, mine is a rack, so I just sit the rack up on a drum throne and Control on the ground and I'm good to go. Honestly, don't know how much I'll want to use the editor. I also, after I forced myself to learn to use the HD 500 on screen, found it easier to do almost everything on the unit than in the editor, as a matter of fact.

Other than getting rid of the bending over stuff, I think you guys might end up being disappointed in the Editor.

It's exactly like the screen of the unit, only without all the knobs, and using the mouse will, I predict, end up being less easy than just putting the unit on your desk while editing and on the floor while playing...

Just my thought. Fortunately, mine is a rack, so I just sit the rack up on a drum throne and Control on the ground and I'm good to go. Honestly, don't know how much I'll want to use the editor. I also, after I forced myself to learn to use the HD 500 on screen, found it easier to do almost everything on the unit than in the editor, as a matter of fact.

I find the editor for the HD disappointing in a lot of ways. But it's way better than none at all.

For me, using the mouse/keyboard - with pick in hand (sometimes dropping it) - has become an unconscious action. That's from all the time of using the HD's editor. So putting the unit on my desk will not be easier, especially since I have not the space for the that.

The bending over is the biggest issue for me. Every time I've done this for extended periods, my shoulder becomes a mess for days afterwards.