Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix editor?! When?! Now

pv5150man

The question is not, if the editor comes but when it will be published.

Otherwise somebody else will be happy with my beloved Helix ;)

Line 6 doesn't announce this sort of information in advance. And nobody else knows for sure. All we know is that some version of the editor was on display at the Line 6 booth at NAMM in January. So it will be coming ..... soon ... in either a quantum physics or a cosmological timescale.

It's up to you to decide what to do with your Helix. But if it's 'beloved' and 'somebody else will be happy' ..... seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face, no?

• Upvote 1

Well, they've already found out that their previous plenty-of-disclosure policy affected their legal liability (as a publicly traded company) as well as customer (dis)satisfaction and lost sales when reality even slightly deviated from forecast release dates. I don't expect them to revert back any time soon.

They know that, and it's coming..... soon.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable or confrontational, but it's a fact that we'll know the editor is available as soon as it's available. Meantime we all act as we wish about it. If that means selling Helix, well that's up to you.

Line 6 doesn't announce this sort of information in advance. And nobody else knows for sure. All we know is that some version of the editor was on display at the Line 6 booth at NAMM in January. So it will be coming ..... soon ... in either a quantum physics or a cosmological timescale.

It's up to you to decide what to do with your Helix. But if it's 'beloved' and 'somebody else will be happy' ..... seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face, no?

Ok. I'm selling - NOT :D.

Irony is the hygiene of the mind.

(Elizabeth Bibesco)

They know that, and it's coming..... soon.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable or confrontational, but it's a fact that we'll know the editor is available as soon as it's available. Meantime we all act as we wish about it. If that means selling Helix, well that's up to you.

The question is not, if the editor comes but when it will be published.

Otherwise somebody else will be happy with my beloved Helix ;)

Drop me a line when you are ready to sell yours. A friend off mine would love it after he tested mine :-)

I have been considering the purchase of the Helix but find it amazing that there is no editor. I went over to a local that owned one so he could show me around. He had to have it up on a table to demo. Hardly foot pedal. Seems like everyone understands how convenient a computer editor would be for this marvelous tool. Makes not sense why Line 6 has not come up with one yet. 

I have been considering the purchase of the Helix but find it amazing that there is no editor. I went over to a local that owned one so he could show me around. He had to have it up on a table to demo. Hardly foot pedal. Seems like everyone understands how convenient a computer editor would be for this marvelous tool. Makes not sense why Line 6 has not come up with one yet.

I think they only have so many resources. I mean, you can't really expect them to hold back a product that's ready just so that they can do a simultaneous release of it and the editor. That would be lost revenue - not good. Also, I believe that the development of the Helix was likely an "All hands on deck" effort. I think that the Helix would be less than the product that it is today or its release would have taken a lot longer if they'd tried to develop and release both the Helix and the editor as well.

I don't have mine yet and can hardly wait to get my mitts on one. Thus, I'm happy to prop mine on a table when it arrives until the editor comes along.

I definitely want an editor. But not having it forced me to really use the thing as its designed via the interface, including standing up over it in FS edit mode. ( Wish I could actually change the resolution of that feature so it would make more dramatic in-model changes, quicker)... But I don't feel the 'ugh' of having to make a tweak at sound check with the thing that I would with other similar products.

Hopefully sooner or later line6 will realize that their non disclosure marketing policy will affect sales

From my experience with them over decades its much, much later. That said, I do understand that sometimes there are reasons as to why things need to stay secret for as long as possible. Whether or not this is one of them is not up to me to decide thats for sure.  :lol:

Just to add my few cents, I am close to taking my 9 day old HD500X back and get a Helix.  After some conversation yesterday with the support lady at Line 6 she led me to believe the Helix Editor may be out end of April.  Of course she then said they really don't tell her.  Though why would she say that at all?  Gotta just wait.  I guess it will be here when it is here.  Still, the clock is ticking on my GAS for a Helix.  Do I or don't I?  That is the question (forgive me Shakespeare)

Dennis

Just to add my few cents, I am close to taking my 9 day old HD500X back and get a Helix.  After some conversation yesterday with the support lady at Line 6 she led me to believe the Helix Editor may be out end of April.  Of course she then said they really don't tell her.  Though why would she say that at all?  Gotta just wait.  I guess it will be here when it is here.  Still, the clock is ticking on my GAS for a Helix.  Do I or don't I?  That is the question (forgive me Shakespeare)

Dennis

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I can edit on Helix without an editor way faster than I could with the HD500 with an editor. That's just my experience. I get the whole not like to bend over or stoop down thing, though, especially if you have a bad back or whatever. Fortunately, I'm not dealing with that. I just find the Helix to be as easy to tweak as as a pedalboard. That's not to say that some things won't be easier with an editor. I think some people will prefer it simply because that's what they've gotten used. Personally, I've never enjoyed the experience of trying to tweak with a mouse or touchpad while playing guitar.

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I can edit on Helix without an editor way faster than I could with the HD500 with an editor.

added emphasis and agreed +1000. Yes, I do understand not wanting to bend over (not an issue for me, I am using the rack), so I am sure that some of you will benefit from the editor, but honestly, with only a mouse vs. all the knobs, I think the Editor will be HARDER to use than the front panel on Helix. I'm convinced of it, but eventually, I learned that most things were quicker and easier on HD 500 once I learned where it all was.

• Upvote 1

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I can edit on Helix without an editor way faster than I could with the HD500 with an editor. That's just my experience. I get the whole not like to bend over or stoop down thing, though, especially if you have a bad back or whatever. Fortunately, I'm not dealing with that. I just find the Helix to be as easy to tweak as as a pedalboard. That's not to say that some things won't be easier with an editor. I think some people will prefer it simply because that's what they've gotten used. Personally, I've never enjoyed the experience of trying to tweak with a mouse or touchpad while playing guitar.

Phil,  Great to see you since the days of the M13 information you had always been so swift and accurate to share.  Yep, I am inching even closer now.  As to the editor versus the direct setup on the unit, I have been doing both with the HD500X since I got it 9 or 10 days ago as well as going through the videos I find on sites and on youtube.  During this brief time I have setup 37 different songs and had a wild ride using the unit interface and the PC editor.  I am using my work bench to edit on the unit itself and so far it is a 50/50 bag for me. 

So, is the Helix really that much better sonic-wise for modeling and the overdrive/distortion pedals?  That is one area I did like using the M13 with my Mesa "real life" tube amps.  I am at the point of getting a tube based overdrive to add to the HD500X unless you feel the Helix can now make the difference in whiny versus wet.  What say you, my friend?

Great to see you  here again.

Dennis

I agree, the Helix is very fast when using the units interface. I hope the editor has the ability to click a parameter and type in a number. Great for those big parameter changes that seem to take 100 turns of the knob.

I do put the Helix on my desk, but it sits too flat so a seated position is too low, too much glare off screen at angle. And a sheet music stand is to unstable. With the time they seem to be spending on it, they are hopefully taking all of our concerns to heart.

Phil,  Great to see you since the days of the M13 information you had always been so swift and accurate to share.  Yep, I am inching even closer now.  As to the editor versus the direct setup on the unit, I have been doing both with the HD500X since I got it 9 or 10 days ago as well as going through the videos I find on sites and on youtube.  During this brief time I have setup 37 different songs and had a wild ride using the unit interface and the PC editor.  I am using my work bench to edit on the unit itself and so far it is a 50/50 bag for me. 

So, is the Helix really that much better sonic-wise for modeling and the overdrive/distortion pedals?  That is one area I did like using the M13 with my Mesa "real life" tube amps.  I am at the point of getting a tube based overdrive to add to the HD500X unless you feel the Helix can now make the difference in whiny versus wet.  What say you, my friend?

Dennis

Hi Dennis, I am not Phil, but from my short time of owning the HD500X and then trying out the Helix, the Helix is a major improvement. However the overdrives and high gain are still not as good as the AX8 IMHO. The Helix does have far cooler bells and whistles and an expression pedal and easy to program from the unit. Tempting. But I have decided to stay on the waiting list for the AX8. But the Helix is FAR better on several levels than the HD500X.

my .02

• Upvote 1

...So, is the Helix really that much better sonic-wise for modeling and the overdrive/distortion pedals?...

i can only speak for myself.

If I set up a similar amp tone with a dirt pedal on both HD 500 and Helix, I can get them both to sound really great for most regular rhythm playing. So much so that if that's all you do, the HD 500 is plenty.

Where Helix shines is when you back off your picking and/or volume/tone controls on the guitar. The dynamics of the situation.

Helix cleans up exactly like a really great "real amp". Moreso than any modeling situation I've been in ever.

Dennis

Well, I guess the proof is in the pudding... I have switched over to the Helix for my live rig now, using it as effects only into a tube amp (either a Princeton or a Deluxe Reverb most of the time). I may eventually go to an FRFR rig, but it kind of depends on the venues we play at. As far as the quality of the drives, I really like them on the Helix. I have a collection of nice analog drive pedals, and I can honestly say I don't miss them with the Helix.

Where Helix shines is when you back off your picking and/or volume/tone controls on the guitar. The dynamics of the situation.

Helix cleans up exactly like a really great "real amp". Moreso than any modeling situation I've been in ever.

Peter,

That is exactly what I need to know.  So I will need a little prayer to make sure my wife doesn't put me in the dog house.

Thanks

Dennis

Well, I guess the proof is in the pudding... I have switched over to the Helix for my live rig now, using it as effects only into a tube amp (either a Princeton or a Deluxe Reverb most of the time). I may eventually go to an FRFR rig, but it kind of depends on the venues we play at. As far as the quality of the drives, I really like them on the Helix. I have a collection of nice analog drive pedals, and I can honestly say I don't miss them with the Helix.

Dang, Phil...  I would have figured you'd be FRFR with the Helix already...   Shocker!!!

Dang, Phil...  I would have figured you'd be FRFR with the Helix already...   Shocker!!!

Well, I have two L2t speakers, and that's the plan. It's not that I have any real qualms about doing it. Part of it is my own laziness - the L2t's are not light! There's an amp at the space where rehearse that I can just plug into, and the PA there isn't the best, so it just is easy for me to plug right into that amp. But I've been going direct in different playing situations for the past 15 years. I've been using the Helix direct at church and it's been great. It's really not about me thinking that one way is necessarily better than others, it's just that every situation is different. When playing with a band in many smaller venues, I really do think that having a guitar amp on stage is still kind of a necessary evil.

When playing with a band in many smaller venues, I really do think that having a guitar amp on stage is still kind of a necessary evil.

Agreed- I need the feel and feedback on what Im playing, and for me the house feed just don't do that justice pointed away from me on stage.

i can only speak for myself.

If I set up a similar amp tone with a dirt pedal on both HD 500 and Helix, I can get them both to sound really great for most regular rhythm playing. So much so that if that's all you do, the HD 500 is plenty.

Real amp response in vol and tone variance on the guitar was noticeable in the HD

Well. I do have a pedal Rich sold me when I was at Mesa a couple years ago, but if the Helix drives are better then;

CHECK LIST:

1) Drive to GC ... check

2) Get full credit for purchases 10 days ago ... check

3) Get store credit back ... check

4) Negotiate great deal with a few perks for online order ... check

5) I done did it ... double & triple check

Well now I wait for delivery

Dennis

• Upvote 1

Well, they've already found out that their previous plenty-of-disclosure policy affected their legal liability (as a publicly traded company)

Without wanting to reignite the debate, I feel I have to try so squash this rumor. This legal liability for public companies part is not true with regard to too much disclosure about product direction. It seems to be a misunderstanding of something that was communicated within Line 6.

There are extremely good marketing reasons as to why one does not necessarily discuss product direction.

However,

as well as customer (dis)satisfaction and lost sales when reality even slightly deviated from forecast release dates. I don't expect them to revert back any time soon.

There were certainly a lot of annoyed customers every time Line 6 announced a release date and it slipped. I think the current approach to expectation management is a direct result of that learning experience, but I'm guessing. It could just be the Yamaha buyout, or the different PM. In any case, it seems to work better this way as I feel like I see a lot less annoyed customers than I used to on these forums.