Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix editor?! When?! Now

pv5150man

Yes, you are correct, sir.

Was that in March yes you are correct sir, or April yes you are correct sir?  :P

Yer thinkin' too much...

LOL yea well...  :D  :P

Seems you weren't paying attention in 'school'........ The whole point of this week's lesson is that this question won't be answered, other than 'soon'.

Sorry guys... I couldn't resist..   I hadn't been on in a few days and well....  seemed like things were getting too serious so I decided to interject my brand of smarta'rsery.   That and I almost killed myself yesterday when I was jamming along, remembered I had a wah patch and actually tried to operate with my foot..... while the Helix was still on my desk...    I mighta worked...  no fault of the helix that it didn't....    I seem to recall the floor being softer than it was...  

mileskb, on 29 Feb 2016 - 6:22 PM, said:

Sorry guys... I couldn't resist.. I hadn't been on in a few days and well.... seemed like things were getting too serious so I decided to interject my brand of smarta'rsery. That and I almost killed myself yesterday when I was jamming along, remembered I had a wah patch and actually tried to operate with my foot..... while the Helix was still on my desk... I mighta worked... no fault of the helix that it didn't.... I seem to recall the floor being softer than it was...

It could have been worse. The Helix might have been on the roof.

Well, I got Helix yesterday and spent from between 9pm - 1am with Helix propped up on a storage trunk, creating 7 of my often used patches. It was very fun, it was very efficient, it was very satisfying. The thing sounds bloody AWESOME...

MY FREAKING BACK IS KILLING ME!

So yeah, Line 6, hurry up with the editor!!

• Upvote 2

The editor will look pretty much exactly like the Helix's screen. It will use the same icons as the screen uses now. Line 6 is trying to make the whole workflow as seamless as possible and stick to a WYSIWYG implementation. The editor isn't going to reveal anything that can't be done on the Helix itself.

I certainly hope that isn't the entire case.  For me, the ability to type in values is critical.  I also hope the editor makes MIDI programming values much easier to enter.  The Command Center is a great idea, but would be all the better if one were to click on one of the available icons and pick from a pull-down menu.

I don't mind the editor using the same icons as whats on the Helix display. Makes it simple to use and keeps the current gui in focus. Tabs are a great idea too. Some pics of where Line 6 is right now would go a long ways too (wink wink). ;) Oh come on - even if its not up to me to decide, every Guitar preamp worth its salt these days has an editor of its own. Quick-Pics of the Helix editor isn't breaking an NDA or camera, or releasing dark secrets as long as there are no detailed descriptions of its function and use. If it looks like the screen on the Helix, we have all already seen that anyway...No, I don't wanna take anyone away from programming time to post a few editor pics, but if they are indeed that short on folks then they need to hire some help... B)

I don't mind the editor using the same icons as whats on the Helix display. Makes it simple to use and keeps the current gui in focus. Tabs are a great idea too. Some pics of where Line 6 is right now would go a long ways too (wink wink). ;) Oh come on - even if its not up to me to decide, every Guitar preamp worth its salt these days has an editor of its own. Quick-Pics of the Helix editor isn't breaking an NDA or camera, or releasing dark secrets as long as there are no detailed descriptions of its function and use. If it looks like the screen on the Helix, we have all already seen that anyway...No, I don't wanna take anyone away from programming time to post a few editor pics, but if they are indeed that short on folks then they need to hire some help... B)

L6 has said it will look exactly the same as the Helix screen, so if you want to see it, look at your Helix.

L6 has said it will look exactly the same as the Helix screen, so if you want to see it, look at your Helix.

Are you telling me that they've now got all that extra screen real estate and they're going to waste it away by (for example) not consolidating the Helix parameter tabs so that all the block parameters show up all at once? For example I'd expect that I can see & edit the master volume along with volume and other parameters within the same editor screen, and not keep having to move screens like I have to on the Helix.

I agree that the editor following the main screen does make it simpler to use but I am actually bummed to hear that the editor will continue with the limited visual information provided by the current icons. I would prefer the editor enhance the same icons the Helix currently uses with text underneath telling you exactly what amp, effect, etc. you are looking at. It would be better to know at a glance whether I am looking at a flanger, chorus, phaser rather than just a "mod". Better yet, I would like to see exactly which chorus (e.g. 70's Chorus, Trinity)  I am looking at, what amp (e.g. Marshall, Matchless) is in use not just a general "Amp" icon, which distortion is being used (e.g. Minotaur, Teemah), not just a "Distortion" icon. The Helix could offer more differentiation of the icons or allow us to assign custom icons so it would be easier to tell exactly what amp, effect, type of EQ, reverb, etc., is in the signal chain by just looking at the big picture. I think it is kind of a shame that you have to actually highlight each icon as they currently only indicate a general class/category (Amp, Distortion, Modulation, EQ,  etc.).  Ideally you should be able to tell at a glance that your preset had a Marshall amp/cab with a Minotaur distortion, Script Mod Phaser, 70's chorus, Bucket Brigade delay, and a Spring reverb, etc..A picture is worth a thousand words and every picture tells a story don't it? 

I have had an idea in Ideascale for a while to add more icons, or allow custom icons. Don't want to see memory eaten up unnecessarily but I think adding some more variation to the icons or even allowing two or three letters on them so at least for example, a chorus would show up as an icon with "CHO" across it, a parametric EQ would be an icon with a "PAR", etc..  If you provide enough icons, ability to add letters, and/or color customizing of icons, you could potentially have a different one for every amp and effect. If that is unfeasible, you could at least drill down a little bit more from let's say "Modulation" to "Chorus", even if there are not enough icons to indicate that it is a "70's Chorus". It might take you a while to learn the icons but you would soon remember at least the ones you use frequently. It would be incredibly helpful when you look at the main screen of the Helix. I definitely want to see the editor take advantage of more screen real estate and infinitely less memory limitations to enhance the icons currently used on the editor's virtual "main" screen. I do not want to have to go to each icon to see what is in a preset in the editor, and I would prefer if I didn't have to do it on the Helix main screen either.

Please vote for icon enhancement here:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Customizable-Icons/787888-23508

Editor looks cool. Glad to see they are using actual images of pedals (like the phase 90-alike in the picture). I understand they want to maintain the same icons to match the Helix display but it could be very helpful to have those actual pedal icons in the signal path image at the top so you can see at a glance which mod it is before clicking on it.

Id rather see what the editor has that we haven't seen. But thank you for playing.....

Thanks zan for the pic!

Id rather see what the editor has that we haven't seen. But thank you for playing.....

Thanks zan for the pic!

According to what they have said so far it will have nothing that we have not seen. They have stated it us the Helix screen on your computer with the exact same features. I imagine the only difference will be in ease of changing names are of patches. I have wondered how the editor will,handle,knob changes. Will it be turns of an on screen knob or will there be alpha numeric values attached? Or click on the knob and get a slider? Either way. Hopefully something like some of,the latter ideas as on screen knobs are difficult to deal with. From the screen shot it looks like slides which will be great.

No reason not to have both knob/slider and numeric inputs. Seems like a trivial idea in both concept and implementation.

The screenshot above has me a little worried though because what's pictured is the script phase, which just happens to have only a few parameters that fit quite nicely on one screen. What happens with something like the harmony delay? Now all of a sudden these huge slider controls - designed for a touch interface - are a big drawback.

Just like HD Edit is disappointing in a lot of ways, I have a feeling the editor for Helix is going to disappoint as well (but better than bending down). I remember reading that the people who work on this software are not the same people who designed Helix. I hope they're not the same people who made HD Edit.

Let's say I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for something less. It would be nice to know the last part of the previous sentence could be dropped.

So glad to see the editor screenshot!  My Helix knobs are getting some abuse, and no one likes having to replace knobs on digital equipment.

Knob lives matter!!!!  Save the knobbies!!!

I'm going to wear a loop of two black, two silver, and two red ribbons (6 lines) braided (like a helix) until there is an editor cure for knob abuse.

• Upvote 1

No reason not to have both knob/slider and numeric inputs. Seems like a trivial idea in both concept and implementation.

The screenshot above has me a little worried though because what's pictured is the script phase, which just happens to have only a few parameters that fit quite nicely on one screen. What happens with something like the harmony delay? Now all of a sudden these huge slider controls - designed for a touch interface - are a big drawback.

Just like HD Edit is disappointing in a lot of ways, I have a feeling the editor for Helix is going to disappoint as well (but better than bending down). I remember reading that the people who work on this software are not the same people who designed Helix. I hope they're not the same people who made HD Edit.

Let's say I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for something less. It would be nice to know the last part of the previous sentence could be dropped.

Turning virtual knobs with a mouse sucks big time, imo. I hate them with a passion. On some plug-ins and editors, it's nearly impossible to get the value you actually want. Yes, I suppose you can type the value in, but than that requires you either using your other hand or reaching over to the keyboard.

Personally, I think just like all presets suck, all editors suck as well. :)

• Upvote 1

.... At least they didn't do something stupid like make the editor only available on iOS and require a bluetooth connection to use it.....

:lol: :lol:

I can already hear the mobile gang...... "Why did do they something so stupid as to make an editor that doesn't run on iOS and can't use Bluetooth?"

Turning virtual knobs with a mouse sucks big time, imo. I hate them with a passion. On some plug-ins and editors, it's nearly impossible to get the value you actually want. Yes, I suppose you can type the value in, but than that requires you either using your other hand or reaching over to the keyboard.

I hate them as well. They work absolute wonders if you want aggravate your carpal tunnel. The sliders might be marginally better.

Best is a single click, or better the TAB button on the keyboard, to select the focus and just input the numbers with the keypad.

That's one reason I hope that for effects with a lot of parameters it doesn't put a stupid scroll bar on the 'sliders' page to be able to get at them.

For the moment, this is still a guessing game.

I have all kind of experiences with 'virtual knobs' in DAWs or editors.

This kind of 'accompanying' software needs always extensive testing and experience (by guitar players)... I assume that's the reason why it takes so long...

It will be ridiculous if huge bars mean paging over instead of having all parameters show up on one page. It should be an absolute priority to eliminate paging wherever possible. That is one of the huge advantages of an editor. Paging is dictated by the screen size and number of knobs on the Helix. No need to carry that over to a software editor.

It will be ridiculous if huge bars mean paging over instead of having all parameters show up on one page. It should be an absolute priority to eliminate paging wherever possible. That is one of the huge advantages of an editor. Paging is dictated by the screen size and number of knobs on the Helix. No need to carry that over to a software editor.

I keep hearing that the editor is just like Helix's interface. That might be nice to say, and people tend to agree with it because Helix's interface is easy to use, but when you actually start to think about it, little things like the above start to creep in and now it doesn't sound so good. I just hope that the people who're designing the editor realize that although Helix's actual interface is nice, it won't translate well to a mouse/keyboard/monitor computer system. One objective of an editor is to make the workflow easier for some? I don't see how this is possible when the starting point is to say let's make it just like Helix's interface. Hopefully I'm completely wrong about this.

• Upvote 3

A user customizable editor utility could be very useful.  This could also lighten up Line 6's workload keeping up a single environment with user feature requests. 

Users could drag & drop and resize knobs, sliders, text fields, etc. and map them to either Helix controls or MIDI, group them to suit their needs and accessibility requirements.  There could still be templates based on amp and effect type.

A person may not use the same editor configuration scheme for all scenarios.  Users could create a custom dashboard for whatever application (live, recording, deep editing, etc.).  

Maybe the control schemes/scenes could be assignable to change with a Helix preset or footswitch.    

Users could post and swap schemes for different amps, pedals, pedal boards, etc.  Users could also select, create, and share custom skins.    

I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks on the Line 6 store or other app stores for this if needed as long as the Helix still comes with a default generically configured free editor.

This is already done for computer games and general MIDI control.  

Hexler Touch OSC is a pretty nice example too ($4.99)

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

The GestureWorks game mapper on Steam is a decent concept example ($1.99).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296610/

• Upvote 1

A user customizable editor utility could be very useful. This could also lighten up Line 6's workload keeping up a single environment with user feature requests.

Users could drag & drop and resize knobs, sliders, text fields, etc. and map them to either Helix controls or MIDI, group them to suit their needs and accessibility requirements. There could still be templates based on amp and effect type.

A person may not use the same editor configuration scheme for all scenarios. Users could create a custom dashboard for whatever application (live, recording, deep editing, etc.).

Maybe the control schemes/scenes could be assignable to change with a Helix preset or footswitch.

Users could post and swap schemes for different amps, pedals, pedal boards, etc. Users could also select, create, and share custom skins.

I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks on the Line 6 store or other app stores for this if needed as long as the Helix still comes with a default generically configured free editor.

This is already done for computer games and general MIDI control.

Hexler Touch OSC is a pretty nice example too ($4.99)

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

The GestureWorks game mapper on Steam is a decent concept example ($1.99).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296610/

I doubt this will happen but it is a great idea! I love software that is designed like this! Short of this, I would like to see as much information on the various screens as possible stopping before it becomes unusable visual clutter. At the very least I want a main screen that displays the detailed name of every amp, effect, IR, routing, etc. block in the preset (e.g. specific amp name, specific effect name). Drilling down on a block should bring up all of the parameters for that block on a single screen or at the bottom of the main screen if there is enough real estate. Another way to implement this would be to have a tab with each amp and effect name that would bring up all the parameters for that block on one screen; although all those potential tabs might be difficult to fit on a single screen. As ranted on earlier, retaining the paradigm of vague general icons, and multiple parameter pages used currently on the Helix would be a terrible implementation of the editor IMHO.

• Upvote 1

I hate them as well. They work absolute wonders if you want aggravate your carpal tunnel. The sliders might be marginally better.

Best is a single click, or better the TAB button on the keyboard, to select the focus and just input the numbers with the keypad.

That's one reason I hope that for effects with a lot of parameters it doesn't put a stupid scroll bar on the 'sliders' page to be able to get at them.

I agree wholeheartedly agree, I would also like those keys mapped something like this for each parameters:

• +/- to go up/down 10%
  • SHIFT+/- to go up/down 5%
  • CTRL+/- to go up/down 1%
Navigating/editing with the keyboard is something that's rarely done properly, but when it is it makes things so much quicker and precise for advanced users than a mouse only interface.

I neglected to mention, the editor is the perfect opportunity, at least before it is implemented on the physical interface on the Helix, for L6 to introduce scene functionality!

I would rather have an editor today than wait months for editor/Helix with scene support.

The Helix screen would have been designed so that a person of an average height with a normal vision would be able to look at it standing up, right? I mean that's one of the advantages about the device. On a computer you have a much bigger screen resolution, *and* you stand closer to it - so you end up with a lot more real-estate - therefore you can and should cram more into it, i.e., show many more parameters at once compared to the physical Helix screen.

Not quite what I'm seeing right now on the screen shots, but yeah - I'd rather have something that works than nothing at all :)

Not quite what I'm seeing right now on the screen shots, but yeah - I'd rather have something that works than nothing at all :)

No doubt, let's get the editor out. Just hoping they did not subscribe to some design aesthetic where they try to make the editor look just like the Helix screen.In my opinion this would be squandering the opportunity to improve the visuals to provide an increased amount of information, and to provide the ability to tweak all relevant parameters on a given block or logical piece of work at once without paging, capabilities that a screen editor can easily deliver.  An enhanced version of the Helix screen would be much better than simply mimicking the interface on the Helix!  

No doubt, let's get the editor out. Just hoping they did not subscribe to some design aesthetic where they try to make the editor look just like the Helix screen.In my opinion this would be squandering the opportunities to improve the visuals to provide the increased amount of information, and the ability to tweak all relevant parameters on a given block or logical piece of work at once without paging, something that a screen editor can easily provide.  An enhanced version of the Helix screen would be much better!  

I think we all agree. But don't despair, Line 6 seems to be responsive to feedback so once the editor is finally released a few IdeaScale entries and lot of patience should eventually turn it into something great :)

I agree wholeheartedly agree, I would also like those keys mapped something like this for each parameters:

• +/- to go up/down 10%
  • SHIFT+/- to go up/down 5%
  • CTRL+/- to go up/down 1%
Navigating/editing with the keyboard is something that's rarely done properly, but when it is it makes things so much quicker and precise for advanced users than a mouse only interface.

A good example of keyboard actions done right is Reaper. However I really don't expect anything that elaborate from the Helix editor. There's always third party programs, or keyboard/mouse software, that could possibly work to force customizations.

I think we all agree. But don't despair, Line 6 seems to be responsive to feedback so once the editor is finally released a few IdeaScale entries and lot of patience should eventually turn it into something great :)

Line 6 is responsive to user feedback for sure, but as mentioned above I think the people working on the editor is a different group of people from the Helix group. So with an extra layer of bureaucracy thrown in there, that might change things. Hope that's not the case.

According to what they have said so far it will have nothing that we have not seen. They have stated it us the Helix screen on your computer with the exact same features.

I dunno, I remain optimistic that it will be functionally better than some think, have more options than we are seeing at present, and better than others predict it will be. Why? Because this, at least for the next 6 months, is Line-6's Flagship... 

I neglected to mention, the editor is the perfect opportunity, at least before it is implemented on the physical interface on the Helix, for L6 to introduce scene functionality!

Scenes! Works killer with Axe-edit and I would love to see this implemented too, at some point. If you have not heard of "scenes", imagine each preset/patch with 4 variations of that same patch, just a click/step away!

Have been following this closely. Another week and nothing.

Also, my back is killing me from messing with this on the floor, finally put it onto a box to get it closer, with the obvious drawback of losing the pedal and footswitches for playing.

I can't help but thinking Line 6 truly cannot be motivated to release an editor while the boxes still are for the most part in such high demand that they are still back ordered at full MSRP.  Clearly not a revenue buster not having the editor.  Meanwhile, releasing a flaky piece of software isn't a good thing for customer satisfaction or quality reputation.  I totally appreciate this position and I would guess that is what is going on. Meanwhile, I'd be happy to sign the necessary NDAs and liability waivers to get a beta version just to save my back. As use this thing daily, my posture is going downhill fast.

As a final thought I am thinking it would be wise to tweak less and play more. Tweaking my chops and not my rig tends to make me a better musician.