Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix editor?! When?! Now

pv5150man

I can't help but thinking Line 6 truly cannot be motivated to release an editor while the boxes still are for the most part in such high demand that they are still back ordered at full MSRP...

happy to tell you that, from everything else I've heard from them both on and off the record, that is incorrect. They are highly motivated to make you happy by getting you that editor, which they honestly hope to have to you by the end of March (Frank is on record as saying that).

Then maybe Frank can give us a status report at the end of March if it's not out yet. Hey as long as it's being worked on is a good thing, but I wonder if it's delayed so that its release coincides with the hardware backlog ship dates?

happy to tell you that, from everything else I've heard from them both on and off the record, that is incorrect. They are highly motivated to make you happy by getting you that editor, which they honestly hope to have to you by the end of March (Frank is on record as saying that).

The official word I just got was, "Thank you for your patience".

It's a priority and I would rather have something functional than a sub-beta cluster-lollipop.

pv5150man started discussion on 13 December 2015.

Three months have gone and the editor is still missing.

Fractal started shipping AXE-8.

Bye, bye....

And you probably have that long of a wait on the wait list for the AX8...

• 2 weeks later...

Its Official.... My backs broke.... 

Come on line 6, Gig preppin from the floor is doing my head in.. yeh i know i can edit with my feet but its not as natural.. i need the board on the floor and the edit screen at eye height just while im selecting my rig.. HOW LONG GUYS? you could at least give us an ETA so we can decide if we can wait for the software or edit on the deck...

eh?

Not trying to tease anyone or hype anything, but the editor is really close to being ready. I know Frank, the Director of Operations, who posts over on The Gear Page said they are aiming to have it out by the end of the month, and I've heard nothing that would make me doubt that's still not the case. Your patience will be rewarded shortly!

• Upvote 2

Not trying to tease anyone or hype anything, but the editor is really close to being ready. I know Frank, the Director of Operations, who posts over on The Gear Page said they are aiming to have it out by the end of the month, and I've heard nothing that would make me doubt that's still not the case. Your patience will be rewarded shortly!

Yes, they have been eerily silent, leading me to believe that they will, indeed, get you this Editor really soon.

But...

It's not going to be really easier to edit with the editor (I predict), just easier on your back, which is important to all you non-rack guys...

Only 5 days left in the month :) 

I'm glad I got my Helix. 

Yes, they have been eerily silent, leading me to believe that they will, indeed, get you this Editor really soon.

But...

It's not going to be really easier to edit with the editor (I predict), just easier on your back, which is important to all you non-rack guys...

It'l be easier on the rack guys too, not having to leave their DAW screens for the hardware as much.

It'l be easier on the rack guys too, not having to leave their DAW screens for the hardware as much.

Well, you still can't run your DAW and your editor at the same time I'll bet. And even if you CAN... I don't think I WOULD...

Well, you still can't run your DAW and your editor at the same time I'll bet. And even if you CAN... I don't think I WOULD...

Why? I ran Cubase and Pro Tools all the time on one screen while I had the Fractal Editor (and or Rig manager) on the right side with NO issues. If its done right theres no issue Hamm. Of course, that was on a Mac, so on the PC you might be correct.  ;)

Why? I ran Cubase and Pro Tools all the time on one screen while I had the Fractal Editor (and or Rig manager) on the right side with NO issues. If its done right theres no issue Hamm. Of course, that was on a Mac, so on the PC you might be correct.  ;)

I realize that, but Line 6 has already told us not to run audio through Helix while you are editing. I am doubtin' that will change right away.

I realize that, but Line 6 has already told us not to run audio through Helix while you are editing. I am doubtin' that will change right away.

Are you trying to tell me that I can't real time edit tones on Helix when I have the editor pulled up and playing thru Helix???? If so, just what kind of POS editor is this ? I hope to GOD you are incorrect about this Hamm.

Are you trying to tell me that I can't real time edit tones on Helix when I have the editor pulled up and playing thru Helix???? If so, just what kind of POS editor is this ? I hope to GOD you are incorrect about this Hamm.

I don't think there's any basis for this.

I have routinely used Reaper and HD Edit at the same time. No problems. And I often forget I have the current Helix app open while Reaper is running. Never encountered a problem.

By the way, DI said somewhere a couple of days ago, he hopes the editor is coming sometime next week, or the end of the month as others have said.

By the way, DI said somewhere a couple of days ago, he hopes the editor is coming sometime next week, or the end of the month as others have said.

Next week is the end of the month.

Coincidence?  You decide....  

;)

I don't think there's any basis for this.

I have routinely used Reaper and HD Edit at the same time. No problems. And I often forget I have the current Helix app open while Reaper is running. Never encountered a problem.

Thanks Duncann, thats what I thought too in using other guitar processor editors "real time" while also recording with DAW software, and I never had any issues either. I couldn't imagine L6 making an Editor you couldn't in real time "edit" with. Kinda defeats the whole purpose that way.

To quote Chet Atkins, they happen to be "simultaneous and also at the same time..." :D

Nononono.  NO!  It's a conspiracy.  How can you NOT see it?  Clearly the illuminati and Trilateral Concern have conspired with Yamaha and other large corporations to manipulate time.  Don't believe me?  Anybody notice they snuck in an extra day at the end of last month?  Need I say more? :ph34r:

Nononono.  NO!  It's a conspiracy.  How can you NOT see it?  Clearly the illuminati and Trilateral Concern have conspired with Yamaha and other large corporations to manipulate time.  Don't believe me?  Anybody notice they snuck in an extra day at the end of last month?  Need I say more? :ph34r:

Was that an Anton Wilson reference? If so, awesome!   B)

What I can't understand is why anyone wouldn't "want" the editor in the 1st place? Yet some have argued and reasoned against using it. That kind of illogical reasoning makes no sense to me...

With the rack, sitting at desktop level, I'm rather spoiled.

Of course I WANT the Editor, but I don't need it nearly like I've needed one with other devices.

What I can't understand is why anyone wouldn't "want" the editor in the 1st place? Yet some have argued and reasoned against using it. That kind of illogical reasoning makes no sense to me...

The only reason I can think of is that it might take away from the development of Helix itself. Other than that, I don't see how an editor can be a bad thing. Just have to be patient a little longer than if there was no editor.

Frankly, as a not-yet-owner, all this editor lust is weird to me. The UI right on the Helix is supposed to be such a huge deal, and clearly is on a whole other level from literally everything else. Yeah, it's on the floor, which isn't as handy as editing at desktop height, but it's designed for that, and you don't need a computer at rehearsal or sound check, big win.

To me, the editor will be a great option to have, not a game changer.

Frankly, as a Helix owner, I learned pretty quickly that an editor would allow me to do deep editing and setups and practices without having to kneel down over and over and over. You may understand when you own one, zooey. For a floor pedal as wonderful and rich as the Helix, an editor is essential.

I hope the editor allows the ability to save and load Block presets. That would be a great option to have, and a game changer.

You may be right about really wanting the editor once I've used a Helix.

Plan so far is that when I'm by myself messing around, writing, practicing (do I do that?), prospecting for tones etc, I'll put the Helix on top of the cheap plastic roll-y drawer thing I have in my "studio" for Stuff, so it'd be roughly waist height. Don't need to footswitch it all the time in that environment, and it'd be easier to edit. At rehearsal, soundcheck, etc, it'll be on the floor of course, but then I don't need or plan to do a ton of deep editing, more tweaking things. We'll see how that actually turns out...

Just to clarify though, are you saying that the editor will let you adjust things you can't change on the Helix itself? I thought you could do everything from its own UI, the editor only made doing it some amount easier. Is that wrong?

...Just to clarify though, are you saying that the editor will let you adjust things you can't change on the Helix itself?...

To be clear. There is nothing you can edit on  Helix that can't be done on Helix itself. The Editor offers no "deep parameter editing" of any kind, and in fact will look largely like the actual front panel of Helix itself.

I suspect that most things will be just as easy on the unit as the editor, and a very small number of things might be easier on one or the other...

HAHA. That's what you get for multitasking.

EVERY FUNCTION IN HELIX is available to edit on Helix itself. 

There is not one single function that you have to have the Editor to do, and not one single added extra bonus parameter only available with the computer editor.

Since the editor isn't released yet Hamm, are you running a beta copy of the editor? If not, then how do you know about "not a single thing you can't do with the editor versus the front panel" yet? Someone spill the beans to you and not the rest of us?  ;)  :P