Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix editor?! When?! Now

pv5150man

Musta missed that, and would like to read it. Who is "they" and do u have the link handy?

Thanks...

Edited: Phil stated "The editor isn't going to reveal anything that can't be done on the Helix itself."

Sorry missed that...

• Upvote 1

HAHA. That's what you get for multitasking.

EVERY FUNCTION IN HELIX is available to edit on Helix itself. 

There is not one single function that you have to have the Editor to do, and not one single added extra bonus parameter only available with the computer editor

No technically true..

If im testing Expressions etc i like the Helix on the floor while selecting different blocks etc. Toe down switch is a gizzard to switch with my palm...

Just anther reason i could use the editor.. 

My opinion is the Editor will make it easier to edit Helix. There I said it. Thats my opinion and its just as valid as what you are about to counter with Hamm  :P  :lol:

The only way the editor would not be easier is if it required you to put your keyboard on the floor to use it.   

• Upvote 4

Thanks DI... I can finally...

1) put it on the floor and use the switches and expression pedal

2) buy a pedal board...

Most importantly... we all know things break eventually.. I am more concern about using the physical controls too much and break them eventually.. like cars control etc... using the computer to tweak at home is a non brainer...

• Upvote 1

Copied from the fb forum.

Just for the record, this morning, just for grins, I used the Editor to make my normal patch totally from scratch. The only thing, the ONE only thing that I did on the actual unit was customize a scribble strip's color and name (that's not in the editor yet, but coming real soon I'm sure).

I spent about 2 or 3 hours with it today doing that and copying and pasting and replacing patches and backing up set lists and bundles.

I could not get the program to fritz on me or freeze or crash or hiccup one single time. The only thing close to a problem I think was my fault, and it didn't freeze or cause me to lose anything anyway...

So, "public beta" in name only imho. On my Mac running Mavericks, it was as stable as stable can be.

And the latest firmware is totally rock-solid as well.

On my Mac running Mavericks, it was as stable as stable can be.

Too bad you gotta run a 3 year old OS to make it stable, or is that not the reason? Im not sure why you haven't upgraded the OS yet but I know you have your reasons.

Too bad you gotta run a 3 year old OS to make it stable, or is that not the reason? Im not sure why you haven't upgraded the OS yet but I know you have your reasons.

I run a few programs that I'd have to spend GOBS of money upgrading or replacing if I upgraded to Yosemite or El Crapitan, so I'm stickin'. Also, I've got another machine that's upgraded at the office to Yosemite, and I don't like it one bit, so I'm waiting as long as I can.

Word out there is that folks with Yosemite and El Cap are doin' fine with the editor so far, though.

I think there might be some display issues,  I just posted in another thread that I can't see the controls when I click on a block.  

I'm missing the bottom of the screen it seems and I can't figure out a way to re-size it so at this point... it's still kinda useless to me.  Come to think of it,, I can't even add a block...  as they are off the bottom of the screen.

I have updated from firmware from 1.06 to 1.10, these are my thoughts after about 30m or so of noodling:

- editor is stable, and works very well (Windows 7)

- as predicted, it's waaay easier to edit presets that way that on the Helix!

- all params show up at once (unlike on the device) - it's particulary great for editing amp blocks, variax settinngs & tunings, and global EQs

- nice interface, you'll get it right away

Here are the "no so great" bits, in order of importance. I'm hoping those will come later but none are show stoppers:

1. can't copy/paste blocks around, within a patch or across patches - WTF!?

2. can't drag a block from one path to another, if #1 worked it would be a workaround

3. can't save a block settings to build a libray of templates a la Axe Edit

4. keyboard navigation is lacking, only shortcut I found so far is B (bypass a block)

Thank you Line 6!

I think there might be some display issues,  I just posted in another thread that I can't see the controls when I click on a block.  

I'm missing the bottom of the screen it seems and I can't figure out a way to re-size it so at this point... it's still kinda useless to me.  Come to think of it,, I can't even add a block...  as they are off the bottom of the screen.

what computer are you on? Even my MBP 13" gives me all the blocks and I can scroll to see all the parameters below.

Forgot to mention that there's no mousewheel support either.

There is mousewheel support for at least one thing, and that's when the parameter list for a model is longer than what the UI is capable of displaying. If you have 4k monitor and use it at that resolution, that's likely not a problem though.

Keyboard shortcuts are severely lacking right now. I was able to get it so that I could control the parameters using the arrow keys but I had no idea how I got to that point. It was useless anyway because it increased/decreased the values in large jumps.

Used the editor only for a few minutes. Cant say anything about stability (windows 10) but what i can say is that this will make such a difference for my workflow. I find it much easier to edit patches using my computer while at the same time using my feet to try out the footswitch/controller assignments  i make. And finally my helix will go down on the floor where it's meant to be.

Line6: Thanks for providing this fantastic editor.

what computer are you on? Even my MBP 13" gives me all the blocks and I can scroll to see all the parameters below.

I have a Samsung N150 Plus notebook.   It's been perfect for backups and updates and such.  I don't want to buy a new laptop that is just going to be a Helix editor but I have this feeling.....

I have a Samsung N150 Plus notebook.   It's been perfect for backups and updates and such.  I don't want to buy a new laptop that is just going to be a Helix editor but I have this feeling.....

Might be a display or system setting thing (like if you have really large fonts selected or some such), because there should be enough screen real estate on there.

• Upvote 1

Your screen can only display 1024 x 600 pixels, quite low by today's standards i doubt you can overcome this without some screen overscan scrolling which is horid.. Check the bay for an old thinkpad or something dead cheap and a decent screen size...

*** EDIT*** Just had a quick look and the edit window is scalable... my bad.. should be fine if a little cramped in there.. check your font/icon size settings..

Edited by markdaniels76

Your screen can only display 1024 x 600 pixels, quite low by today's standards i doubt you can overcome this without some screen overscan scrolling which is horid.. Check the bay for an old thinkpad or something dead cheap and a decent screen size...

*** EDIT*** Just had a quick look and the edit window is scalable... my bad.. should be fine if a little cramped in there.. check your font/icon size settings..

Oh, yeah, that's not enough. Wow, they still make something with that low res? It won't do it.

Oh, yeah, that's not enough. Wow, they still make something with that low res? It won't do it.

I am running mine full screen at 1920 x 1080, which I guess is low res by some people's standards yet still easy on the eyes and it looks fantastic! Everything is framed perfectly on the screen and clearly visible. This is a great beta and I am looking forward to seeing additional features and functions added.  One feature I had kind of hoped for was that the main page would show the actual name of the effect, amp, or whatever for each block instead of showing the way too vague category name ("Mod", "Distortion", "Dynamic", etc.). Line6, please consider showing the more detailed block name in the editor.

I am running mine full screen at 1920 x 1080, which I guess is low res by some people's standards yet still easy on the eyes and it looks fantastic! Everything is framed perfectly on the screen and clearly visible. This is a great beta and I am looking forward to seeing additional features and functions added.  One feature I had kind of hoped for was that the main page would show the actual name of the effect, amp, or whatever for each block instead of showing the way too vague category name ("Mod", "Distortion", "Dynamic", etc.). Line6, please consider showing the more detailed block name in the editor.

It does show the name if you hover the mouse cursor over a block for about one second. But because of the delay, it's easier to just click the block to see what it is. Now that you mention this, I can seem to fathom why the specific block name just isn't there in the first place. lol.

Just to follow up although I mentioned this in another thread...  It turns out the Windows 10 driver limited the resolution to 1024 x 600 and the fonts were large, so on a lark I reverted to the Win7 drivers I had been using before the upgrade and they worked just fine and do 1024 x 768 which seems just fine.  I'll mainly be using the editor for backups and restores, organizing and making adjustments to patches I have created without having to juggle a guitar while bending over in a small space with a bad back.

So far, so good.

• 7 months later...

The editor is just called "Helix". Just select from the middle pulldown menu under the Software link above.

Been there. This takes me to the updater. There is no editor. The only thing on the thumb drive is a set of manuals in six languages from 16 months ago. No app.

The instructions say to back up the Helix before updating to 2.x. How do you backup the unit if you don't have an app to back it up with?

Been there. This takes me to the updater. There is no editor. The only thing on the thumb drive is a set of manuals in six languages from 16 months ago. No app.

The instructions say to back up the Helix before updating to 2.x. How do you backup the unit if you don't have an app to back it up with?

Well, the Updater is bundled in the same installation package as the editor, and the editor most certainly is there. So I'm not sure why your not seeing it. But as far as backing up, if you're starting off from scratch, there's no need to back up anything before running the Updater and installing the latest firmware.

I would post a link to the actual download, but I'm posting from my phone right now, so I can't really get to it very easily right now.