Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Clean sounds?

Dshow

Hi,

I don't own a helix myself but I am following the forums quite a bit. I'm mostly interested in good clean sounds and classic rock sounds.

In the price range of helix are quite a bit different units available and I'm also comparing with others. Always focusing on the sound. So I found this video with kemper clean sounds. I think they are pretty good and couldn't find helix examples that come close - they eighter sound to harsh or to muddy or unreal.

Especially like the AC30 in the example. In the HD500 the AC30 is one of the not so good I find.

So my question to the helix owners is if they are able to get such clean sounds out of the helix and maybe they have some sound examples.

Anyway here is the Link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TUI5gkHBu0

Oh and I'm not bashing the helix. I like the overall concept and the fact to have a pedal which can also be used as soundcard and recording device. I think it is the most complete unit in this price range. But at this price tag it the sound has to be top-notch.

Thanks a lot

I don't find any of the sounds in that video all that special, to be honest. I mean they're fine, but they're mainly a product of the guitar and pickups he's using. It sounds like he's mainly sticking to one of the "quack" positions on his guitar (the neck and middle combined), and in that position, it's pretty easy to get a nice clean tone. My style tends to stick in the clean to edge-of-breakup territory.

Here's a sample I made using the AC15 model: https://soundcloud.com/phil-miller-20/ac15-tele-tape-delay

Here's a really nice clip that Ben Adrian (the lead sound designer for Helix at Line 6) made: https://soundcloud.com/ben-adrian-100161112/relief-helix-demo

I don't find any of the sounds in that video all that special, to be honest. I mean they're fine, but they're mainly a product of the guitar and pickups he's using. It sounds like he's mainly sticking to one of the "quack" positions on his guitar (the neck and middle combined), and in that position, it's pretty easy to get a nice clean tone. My style tends to stick in the clean to edge-of-breakup territory.

Here's a sample I made using the AC15 model: https://soundcloud.com/phil-miller-20/ac15-tele-tape-delay

Here's a really nice clip that Ben Adrian (the lead sound designer for Helix at Line 6) made: https://soundcloud.com/ben-adrian-100161112/relief-helix-demo

Thanks for the reply!

Fortunately tastes are different ;-). I like the sounds a lot maybe because my main guitar is a strat.

Already heard your samples before :-) - they sound very good

imho, with a unit like this, you have GOT to roll your own patches.

So far, on Helix, the Orange and the Z are giving me AWESOME clean to edge of breakup tones, but I haven't even TRIED some of the other legendary models in there yet! Just do NOT turn your masters all the way up, treat it like a real amp.

So far, on Helix, the Orange and the Z are giving me AWESOME clean to edge of breakup tones, but I haven't even TRIED some of the other legendary models in there yet! Just do NOT turn your masters all the way up, treat it like a real amp.

I agree 100% with making your own patches, or at least tweaking some existing ones to a point where your hands and guitar fit better.

With the Vox models on Helix you can try bringing the bias parameter all the way up to get the class A power amp thing happening for you.  In general, if I'm playing through a powered speaker, I use the high and low filters on the cabinet models (or in the global EQ) to tailor my sounds.

My favorite clean sounds so far have been with the J45 Brt. > greenback25 cab.  I tend to use the master volume and my and drive to set to the edge of breakup, then use the guitar's volume knob to dial it back slightly.  On the cab, I've been having luck with the 57 or 121 (if you want warmer sounds).  With either mic I usually back up the distance 2-3 inches.  If the 121 starts to get muddy, bring in the low cut filter on the cab, I've gone as high as 120k with certain guitars and thought it sounded nice.

I honestly think the biggest improvements in newer modeling units all across the board are the lower gain and early break up tones.  

I have seen others posting not to turn the master volume up all the way as well. When I want the cleanest tone possible on a real amp I often do turn the master up all the way and then adjust the Drive or Pre up until I get sufficient volume. Is there a reason not to use this strategy on the Helix?

I have seen others posting not to turn the master volume up all the way as well. When I want the cleanest tone possible on a real amp I often do turn the master up all the way and then adjust the Drive or Pre up until I get sufficient volume. Is there a reason not to use this strategy on the Helix?

It seems in theory that this would work, but many amps (and models) actually don't operate at their cleanest that way. I discovered that about the models in the HD 500 and now it seems to be true so far in Helix as well.