Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using M20D and Stagesource speakers from BACK of house?

Wow - dumb question, I know - I've used my system for smaller events where I am one of the musicians on stage and am running it from near me - but I have an opportunity to provide sound for a large-ish venue from back of house, and I don't think it will work. Since the max cable run for these is 50', that's essentially how far away the mixer can be from the first speaker in the chain, right? 

Thanks! 

Larry

Yep...

50' maximum (recommended) signal run, ie between any two components whether that be M20d > Speaker or Speaker > Speaker.

Ipad control is your only option if the back of house is more than 50' (15m) away.

You *may* be tempted to risk running a cable longer than 50'. Whether it would work reliably is open to debate. I would hazard a guess that the 50' distance is the distance within which Line6 will warrant the L6Link to retain full fidelity without and risk of signal loss and that above that distance the risk increases almost exponentially. Where it would catch you out is if the longest run is the first run, you'd wipe out everything. BUT I'd guess that the 50' distance also has a little safety factor built in. Personally though I'd not risk it.

Additionally consider that you'd be running a multicore back up the room too for your signals... Keep the M20d near stage and signal runs in both directions are kept considerably shorter. A quality 16 channel multicore is likely to cost you approaching half the cost of a brand new iPad anyway. I've had minimal issues using the iPad to remote control my rig, just the iPad app disconnecting periodically... which is an issue with the wifi setup rather than an issue with the M20d.

The ONLY things you can't do with the app is to engage/disengage the hardware mute buttons.

• Upvote 1

I don't know why I never thought about that issue before, but it is a significant limitation on the use of the M20D... but like you say, setting up nearer the stage has its plusses and minuses. The event I was thinking about running, though, had a video shooting component with it, so getting a feed from the M20D to the camera would have been helpful. I decided to just hire the event out to a company that specializes in events like this and let them sort it out - I can then worry about all the other details (speakers, schedule, content, musicians, food). 

Thanks, SiWatts! Much Appreciated!

Larry

Not sure I'd see it as a limitation... it's just not what the unit was designed for.

There is nothing to stop you running the analogue main outs via a 2 channel multicore (or even just two standard XLR's) back to any point in the room to run audio input to your camera gear. But I'm not sure I'd consider doing this anyway since if I were going to run recorded audio over a video, I'd sooner mix from raw for a soundtrack. The room's acoustics will be lacking on the main outs mix, plus the impact of backline bleed (though in a big venue this would likely be minimal) so you'd need/want (potentially) a somewhat cleaner processed mix overdubbing onto your video footage, something with a little reverb etc added back in.

I think it would be pretty easy to sync sound afterwards.  So video the event with however many video cameras, record the audio to an SD card in the M20d, then sync it up later.  The nice part about this method is that since it's multi-track you can re-mix, possibly fix a few mistakes and then sync it.  Also mixing remotely, with ipad is the bomb!  it's great to be able to go to different parts of the room and see how it sounds.  No worries about leaving the board unattended.

*** edit*** I just posted and then noticed SiWAtts69 had added another post. I have noticed that recordings on the SD card are pretty good at picking up enough ambient room noise to give it that live feel.  But again if you need to you can add a bit of reverb at mixdown.

• Upvote 1