Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No clipping through L6 link to l2t but massive clipping on analogue outs! HELP

JazzInc

OK, I just encountered this very strange problem. I have been enjoying my helix for weeks and weeks, playing through the line 6 link to the L2t.

Now, I finally got my atomic CLR and all my patches are clipping someway or another. I checked this through the analog input on the L2T and it is clipping as well, same goes for the headphone output.

How is this possible? And more importantly what is the best way to fix all my patches so they don't clip on the analog outputs? Help!

OK, I just encountered this very strange problem. I have been enjoying my helix for weeks and weeks, playing through the line 6 link to the L2t.

Now, I finally got my atomic CLR and all my patches are clipping someway or another. I checked this through the analog input on the L2T and it is clipping as well, same goes for the headphone output.

How is this possible? And more importantly what is the best way to fix all my patches so they don't clip on the analog outputs? Help!

You may have tried this already but working with the global settings "Mic" vs. "Line" for your outputs and perhaps adding a pad might help you rein this in globally. And of course there is always the large physical volume control.

Consider the signal path:

Guitar -> Modeled effects/amps -> L2T via L6 Link

Because there's no clipping with this situation, we know the clipping is NOT coming from the guitar or the modeled effects/amps.

Therefore there is nothing to fix *within* your patches.

It's different with this signal path:

Guitar -> Modeled effects/amps -> FRFR via analog output

The clipping must be happening because the *output* of the Helix, at its current volume setting, is currently too strong for the *input* of the FRFR speaker, at its current Input Gain setting.

Yes, I considered this, but the analog input on the L2t is at it's lowest gain settings.

Consider the signal path:

Guitar -> Modeled effects/amps -> L2T via L6 Link

Because there's no clipping with this situation, we know the clipping is NOT coming from the guitar or the modeled effects/amps.

Therefore there is nothing to fix *within* your patches.

It's different with this signal path:

Guitar -> Modeled effects/amps -> FRFR via analog output

The clipping must be happening because the *output* of the Helix, at its current volume setting, is currently too strong for the *input* of the FRFR speaker, at its current Input Gain setting.

Yes, I considered this, but the analog input on the L2t is at it's lowest gain settings.

Interesting.... Maybe try turning down the master output on the Helix. Check if the clipping goes away (even though it'll probably be quieter than you want). If it does go away with the Helix's output turned down, I suggest you leave it turned down, and turn up the gain on the L2T to compensate - and see if the clipping comes back.

If the clipping does come back after adjusting the output gain of the Helix and the input gain of the speaker, something very fishy is going on - unless your speakers just can't get loud enough, that situation should be impossible (as described / as I understand it), so in that case there must be something I'm misunderstanding.

Also, I'm not familiar with the L2T, but if it has a choice between Mic and Line level, try switching it to Line. Also, see if there's a difference in connecting the 1/4" outputs of the Helix vs. the XLR outputs.

The only other possibility is that there actually *is* distortion happening within your patches, but that it's being masked somehow when you connect via L6 Link. That seems extremely unlikely to me so personally I would recommend trying *everything* else before worrying about that possibility.

(FWIW, I have used the Helix analog outputs with QSC K8 and K10 speakers, without ever running into clipping problems, so there's definitely a way to make it work.)

Also, is there a Global EQ or some other thing that is applied to the XLR outs but not the L6Link? I recall they added a Global EQ to the HD500, but it only worked on the XLR and 1/4" out, not the analog. Something might be set to boost your signal that isn't happening on the L6link connection.

Another idea to test: With the L6Link connection in place, then connect the XLR OUTPUT from the L2t to the CLT input.. 

Well, I checked everything in this thread, and the only thing that solved it was lowering the channel or preset levels on some presets. It turns out the clipping levels on the L6 link are different from the XLR which is different from the headphone out (which was still clipping when my main outputs no longer did)

You may have tried this already but working with the global settings "Mic" vs. "Line" for your outputs and perhaps adding a pad might help you rein this in globally. And of course there is always the large physical volume control.

I would agree with HonestOpinion, JazzInc.

Have you tried going into global settings, then In/Out and check the level of the 1/4" and XLR outputs? If it is set to "Line", then set it to "Instrument". Same for the FX loops, unless you are using Line-level effects in the FX loop.

Are you plugging into the main XLR input on the back panel of the L2t, or one of the XLR inputs on the side panel?

Yep. If Helix's XLR outputs are set to Line (Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Page 2), you should go into the L2t's line input on the same panel as the AC cable, not the mixer inputs.

• 2 months later...

So, how does the clr compare to your l2t?

It is a major upgrade! More detailed, thicker high end, no more fatiguing highs, a much greater sweet spot, and no fan which is nice when you're playing at home.

Well since I own 2 CLR's that opinion was VERY nice to read!!!  YMMV as always, but Thanks!