Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thoughts On Pod Hd500x

amsdenj

I am a long time Line6 user starting with the origianl POD, and currently using a POD XT/Live. I have been anxiously waiting for Line6 to update the POD HD line. Here's my view on the POS HD500X.

I'm a flexible musician in that I play a number of instruments including electric guitar (Strat, Les Paul and Variax 300 with MIDI capability), acoustic guitar (Variax 700 Acoustic), mandolin, and bass. I like Line6 products because they provide the flexibility I need to be a flexible musician. The POD X3/Live provides mic and preamp models that support acoustic instruments, as well as a multitude of guitar and bass models. I use the X3/Live with a Roland AC90 for flexible sounds at low volumes, and a modified '65 Fender Showman for larger venues. The Showman has HI-Fi tone controls in the Normal channel, and full range coaxial speakers in a Tremolux cabinet to support the wide range of instruments.

My problem with the HD500 is that it doesn't support this flexibility. There's no mic preamps, acoustic guitar amps, or full range preamps like in the X3. And there's only one somewhat limited bass amp. The HD500 is too focused on just electric guitar.

I had hoped the next generation POD HD would address these limitations at least with a few more models. I'd happily drop the $500 if it replicated a bit more of the capability of an X3 with wider dynamic range and better models. But the current HD500 line doesn't meet my needs, so I'll have to stick with the X3 a while longer.

• Upvote 1

makes sense... the x3 seems to fit your current needs better.

I am a long time Line6 user starting with the origianl POD, and currently using a POD XT/Live. I have been anxiously waiting for Line6 to update the POD HD line. Here's my view on the POS HD500X.

I'm a flexible musician in that I play a number of instruments including electric guitar (Strat, Les Paul and Variax 300 with MIDI capability), acoustic guitar (Variax 700 Acoustic), mandolin, and bass. I like Line6 products because they provide the flexibility I need to be a flexible musician. The POD X3/Live provides mic and preamp models that support acoustic instruments, as well as a multitude of guitar and bass models. I use the X3/Live with a Roland AC90 for flexible sounds at low volumes, and a modified '65 Fender Showman for larger venues. The Showman has HI-Fi tone controls in the Normal channel, and full range coaxial speakers in a Tremolux cabinet to support the wide range of instruments.

My problem with the HD500 is that it doesn't support this flexibility. There's no mic preamps, acoustic guitar amps, or full range preamps like in the X3. And there's only one somewhat limited bass amp. The HD500 is too focused on just electric guitar.

I had hoped the next generation POD HD would address these limitations at least with a few more models. I'd happily drop the $500 if it replicated a bit more of the capability of an X3 with wider dynamic range and better models. But the current HD500 line doesn't meet my needs, so I'll have to stick with the X3 a while longer.

Oh Oh; maybe buyers remourse for me.  I made a snap decision today, and have just now run thru the 500X presets with disappointment regarding acoustic guitar tones that were reasonably supported on my X3Live.  But the X3 has been glitching with a couple nuisance issues and I dropped the $500 at GC today thinking this unit would be  snappier and brighter than the X3L.  No doubt it is, but I suddenly feel that it will be much tougher to get my familiar loved tones.  I play a Les Paul, and a good acoustic about 50/50 in my local not-pro R&B chick-led repertoir band.

I'm gonna have to go back to school to build up the acoustics, while the electric side is pretty well served by plexi lead clean with Ibanex tube screamer sometimes thrown on top.

Acoustically, I'm looking for that memorable bright "piezio rock strum" of the X3L, but with separate bright lead, and also a phase-verb effect...those were easyand pro-sounding to set up on the X3L.  It's getting late, and I work on it the next couple days.  Not quite sure where to start.

warcloudwells

There is a mic preamp model in the HD series. It's true that there's no acoustic amp in the HD, although, technically, there really wasn't in the X3 either. There were the Piezacoustic and Variax Acoustic models, which if you read the descriptions of what they do are not really pure acoustic amps. The tube preamp model was a nice neutral model, though.

I will grant you the thing about the bass amps. It would be nice to have more. But I do think that getting a good acoustic sound with the HD isn't really that difficult. If you think about what an acoustic amp is trying to do, it's really more like a mini PA system than a guitar amp. It's meant to give a very flat response, and they often include tweeters along with the woofer to produce the high end. There's no reason you couldn't use either the mic preamp effect in the HD and/or the EQ effects to get a decent acoustis sound. The fact is that with decent pickup systems, you shouldn't need a whole lot of processing to get them to sound right.

You are correct Mr Guru.  I'll begin to experiment with the Vintage Pre and EQs next couple days to build up the following acoustic tones:  A=clean/warm; B=same with more shimmer; C=bright acoustic lead; D= A+some kinda light phase/flange.  My Larrivee acoustic features the Fishman Prefix Plus pickup.  Now here's the dumb question.....can I then assign to a user patch, say bank 17A-D?

Thanks for your help, there will be more

warcloudwells

warcloud, I think if you start up the Edit software and head to the SETLIST area, you can drag/drop whatever patches you want to a new setlist.  Then navigate to that setlist and use those patches during your gig.

I say "I think" because I just purchased a 500X a few days ago and haven't yet done this, specifically, but I've done similar functions.  Should work.

Well, I really want to love this new 500X, and after initial run thru the 64 preset tones, finding 90 percent not fitting my band's style, but also crediting the excellent imaging, and also amazed at the synth and brass (ho'wd they DO THAT?) , I'm reminded that that lack of a full paper publication (like the X3L was supplied with) is annoying, and I have not yet read about the SETLIST feature.....WAAAH.  I guess I'll wear out the printer churning out a usable quick-reference book. SNIVEL

Backing off,  I'll keep printing, reading and working on it.  I NEED the loveley acoustic tones i described above.  Now...searching for SETLIST; which is probably exactly what I need.  Hang with me djspleen (SPLEEN?).

You don't need to use the HD500x EDIT program. Using the HD500x device.....

Press the top left black knob to see the SETLIST names. Use the nav key to select the BASS/ACO/VOC setlist. Hit ENTER to activate that setlist. You will now have access to the 64 presets in that setlist. These include a number of acoustic guitar presets. As usual, consider them starting points for tweaking. In particular, try using the Vintage Preamp (it's used as an FX - you'll find it in the EQ+PREAMP FX set).

However, once you get the hang of it you will find the editor very convenient, especially to copy the factory presets to one of the USER setlists for customization (so you don't need to overwrite the factory presets).

• Upvote 1

But the Vintage Preamp, as an effect, not an amp model, does not provide its parameters to the 500X Drive, Bass, Treble, etc. knobs. Right? So this makes it more difficult to tweak the tone during performances, something I sometimes find convenient.

But the Vintage Preamp, as an effect, not an amp model, does not provide its parameters to the 500X Drive, Bass, Treble, etc. knobs. Right? So this makes it more difficult to tweak the tone during performances, something I sometimes find convenient.

That's correct - the Drive, Bass, etc knobs on the HD500x are not applicable to the Vintage Preamp. To edit the parameters more conveniently you might want to select the Vintage Preamp FX in the signal chain view, and then hit the Enter button twice. The display will change to a one-page view of all the FX parameters, allowing you to change them using the little black knobs beneath the display.

Had first band practice with new 500X, and got good results playing thru my 4-10 Deville (clean room monitor) and XLRs direct to board.  I roughly set up my electric and acoustic guitar tones using the sweet edit program thru headphones and was very pleased at our rehersal space when plugging in.  Now I have to tweak levels, add a touch of reverb to a couple of the super-dry voices like blackface lux and Bassman.  Easy with Edit software, including sweek drag-and-drop into custom setlist.  Nice.

And regarding acoustic voices, I found at least 4 or 5 presets that are very good.  Especially......Dreadnaught.  Wow, good out of the box.

Buyers remourse vaporized, I'm happy, tweaking, and looking forward to years of service.  Poor X3L is heading to the backup gear closet.

Thanks

warcloudwells

• 3 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread.  I'm really on the fence about going to the 500x.  As a long time X3 user, I'm bummed by the prospect of building a new batch of tones since many of my fav models aren't included in the new HDs.  I've relied on Customtone to find tones that I can tweak to my taste.  It seems that Line6 isn't going to support the Customtone utility for the 500x.

That said, I've got a JTV-69 and a JTV-89F and I can see the benefits of marrying my JTVs to a 500x.

I appreciate the thoughts articulated by the users here.  I got some thinking to do...

Floyd

...  It seems that Line6 isn't going to support the Customtone utility for the 500x.....

HD500 tones that you download from Customtone are fully compatible with the HD500x. All you have to do is drag/drop them into HD500x Edit then SEND to the device.

• 1 month later...

I really like my Line 6 POD X3 Live.  I recently had some work done on it by a locally registered Line 6 repair service center, and it performs like new.   Lately however, I started thinking about buying an HD500x, and now after reading some of the "remorseful" comments here, I'm getting the sense that I might be good to just appreciate what I have and not be too concerned with keeping up with the Jones'... or Satrianis'.  Yet, after watching the sales video (a couple of times), I noticed it has a Loop feature.  Has anyone put that to use?  And is this the reason why I want to upgrade?  What is the reason why I need to upgrade???

Another area which I am concerned with is durability.  After all, I took the X3 Live in for repair because the foot-switches were mechanically acting-up, resulting in "bay runs"; skipping bays and sometimes endlessly running - never landing on a bay.   The tech said the plastic inside was wearing out from use... kind of wondering about the 500x as well.  So, would purchasing Line 6 pedal "add-ons" help prevent that?

One last question:  If I purchased the HD500x would I be able to transfer (or utilize) the effects saved (on my computer) from my POD X3 Live - to the HD500x ?   Doesn't sound like it...

Anyway... thoughts or answers would be appreciated.

The looper on the HD50 is a great tool for practicing solos over a backing chord sequence, and is also great for auditioning and tweaking tones to hear the changes in real-time without having to stop playing to tweak. It is not so good as a real-time looper in a performance/live situation.

• 1 month later...

The looper on the HD50 is a great tool for practicing solos over a backing chord sequence, and is also great for auditioning and tweaking tones to hear the changes in real-time without having to stop playing to tweak. It is not so good as a real-time looper in a performance/live situation.

Where do you think the looper falls short live? I've been using the DL4 in my live setup since it came out and I love it.  Is there a big difference?

Using the HD500 Looper in a live setting is cumbersome due to the number of footstomps required to engage/disengage the looper while switching patches for different tones.

For instance, a common situation is to lay down a chord sequence for the verse portion of a song to be used as a backing track when the lead solo, using a different preset, comes along, then segue smoothly back into playing a verse or bridge live. Laying down the original loop is no problem - you engage Looper mode, then use the footswitches to start and stop recording the loop. At that point you probably aren't at the point in the song for your lead solo so you stop the loop playback. Now when the solo comes along you need to almost simultaneously start the loop playback while also switching presets for the solo. Some fancy footwork is required to achieve that and maintain tempo. If you manage that successfully, you still have to disengage the loop playback when the solo ends and also switch presets back to the original - also while maintaining tempo.

Try it. It requires both careful planning to start/stop recording your loop at the 'right' instants (which may not be on the beat if you want to allow time for patch switching) and also some extremely fast and accurate footwork in the stomp sequences. I haven't been able to master it while keeping my playing tempo.

Ah, I get what your saying. I use it in a different fashion and actually dump my loops down to other loopers to build multiple movements.  With bowed strings you can sneak in behind the beat without causing much of a fuss. I can see where your situation would require some acrobatics! 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So, the discussion ends with the feedback of Line6-Expert that musicians who happen to play intermittently an acoustic on stage are better off with buying a used x3 live?

Guru, you name it. The X3 had the Piezoacoustic amp and the HD500(X) does not have it.

So, the discussion ends with the feedback of Line6-Expert that musicians who happen to play intermittently an acoustic on stage are better off with buying a used x3 live?

Guru, you name it. The X3 had the Piezoacoustic amp and the HD500(X) does not have it.

With the model pack you get the line6 acoustic amp, that is great for acoustic guitar or piezoacoustic. But it is only 1 amp.

Thought it is not a big deal, as I get great sounds out of the pod with the EQ and effects. I have a set list of about 55 patches for acoustic only.

• Upvote 2

Model packs weren't part of this thread because they didn't exist at the time that it died. 

But since it has been resurrected, then the new information needs included. 

Also, since the Variax units have acoustic sims, I can't see why this unit would not be good for acoustic guitars. 

For me, I think it boils down to knowing what all you would use the unit for, before you start using it. Because, for me, I use one electric guitar. Therefore, I have all of my inputs set for guitar/same. And the sound of my patches reflect that. But, if I was going to use a 2nd input, I would need to program my unit and patches differently.