Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about HD500 and amps

Shadowrunner

OK, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question already, but can I plug an amp head into my HD500? I don't mean like 4CM or having the HD500 completely in FRONT of the amp. I have a couple of studio monitors that I use for my HD500 output. I mean more like amp (head or otherwise) ->  HD500 -> studio monitors. Basically using the HD500 as an interface between the amp and monitors. If this can be done by the 4CM, I don't know how.

Thanks!

IMO I would say no. A normal amp requires a certain amount of impedance (2, 4, 8 ohms) or you risk blowing the head. Even IF it could be done you would more than likely over clip it like a beast. Now if you are talking about using a dummy load on the head's main outs and then running from the FX loop out to the HD for output to studio monitors then I don't know TBH. Never tried it.

-B

you actually can do this. You just need a speaker line rated direct box to leech a line level signal off the amp's speaker output. If your amp is Solid-State, no worries...If you have a tube amp, you would need something like Weber Mini-Mass to keep the load right.