Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cant decide between L2 & L3 !

Hi all,

First sorry if this has been asked before, I'm sure it has but coudn't find the exact same question!

It's time for me to ditch my cheapo 120W tranny amp for a decent FRFR. I use an HD500X unit and I have been looking at L2 and L3 speakers. (I'm in a 5 piece rock covers band playing venues usually with 200 people max).

I only need one unit which acts for my monitor (behind me), I DI from the HD500X to the desk for FOH anyway, but they're out front so it doesn't count and I need to hear myself LOUD and clear! Also still need it to be loud enough for full volume band practice where we don't bother to DI everything. I'm up against full drums, a 4 x 12 Trace Elliot (Bass) and a 150W Marshall (2nd Guitar).

I'm concerned that the L2 won't cut it over the band when I'm not going through the PA (we're definately not subtle!) but I don't want the extra size, weight and cost of the L3 if I really don't need it.

Any advice?

Thanks

Si.

hmmm.  Need it?  I'm not gonna make this easy for you.

When I was using the POD HD I found it a little difficult to dial in the L2's.  I've used a single L2 with a POD in a 2 guitar classic rock format.  It's certainly workable but I wasn't in love with it.  It's a pretty loud little speaker though.

I've used L3's and QSC K12's and found them both a little warmer than the L2's and just easier to dial in with the POD HD.  You should NEVER have any problem keeping up in volume with either of those speakers.

I've started using Helix, and would say that I'm on much better terms with my L2's using Helix than I was with the POD HD.

Something to think about: If you're running direct to FOH why not put your speaker in front of you facing backwards like a monitor?  Since your ears face forwards (for most of us!) it really does make a difference on how you sound.  Hopefully the audience has their ears facing you too!  This helps feed some of your signal back at the band/drummer and helps the sound guy running FOH.

hmmm.  Need it?  I'm not gonna make this easy for you.

When I was using the POD HD I found it a little difficult to dial in the L2's.  I've used a single L2 with a POD in a 2 guitar classic rock format.  It's certainly workable but I wasn't in love with it.  It's a pretty loud little speaker though.

I've used L3's and QSC K12's and found them both a little warmer than the L2's and just easier to dial in with the POD HD.  You should NEVER have any problem keeping up in volume with either of those speakers.

I've started using Helix, and would say that I'm on much better terms with my L2's using Helix than I was with the POD HD.

Something to think about: If you're running direct to FOH why not put your speaker in front of you facing backwards like a monitor?  Since your ears face forwards (for most of us!) it really does make a difference on how you sound.  Hopefully the audience has their ears facing you too!  This helps feed some of your signal back at the band/drummer and helps the sound guy running FOH.

Thanks BucF16, that's useful info. So you're saying that the L2 shouldn't have any volume issues cutting through the band even when not going through PA? I'm not sure if the HD500X has any advantage over the HD500 in terms of what you've experienced with tone, so I'm still undecided!

When my amp was in for repair I borrowed a Yamaha 12" FRFR unit for a couple of weeks (can't remember the model number) and loved it - with a bit of tweaking in the global settings of the pod it was way better than my Fender Frontman 2x12 tranny in terms of tone and headroom.

Yeah I know ideally a monitor should be in front facing back for all the right reasons, but I prefer the familiar punch in the back of an amp behind me, also as our other guitarist has his Marshall behind him (as you'd expect) our soundie compensates by panning us to factor in our 'amps'. It is something I'd try again though.

While I'm here, is there an opinion on connectivity.. i.e. I currently connect the pod's unbalanced left output to my amp's main input, and the pod's XLR left output to the PA. If I use the L6 connection from HD500X to the L2/3 speaker, are any advantages to sending the feed to the PA from the L2/3 insteadof direct from the pod?

Cheers.

Go big, so you won't be disappointed and you have enough headroom to dial back, you can never dial to 11....

I have a L3t which I would recommend because you can always find uses for the other features

And I mainly use mine as a guitar cab behind me or monitor as well....

At about 1/4 power....

But I've used the RCA inputs to jack to the headphone out of my HD500x when it's connected to a PC....

To play my iPad thru...

I've used the acoustic jack and sim when jamming with friends, and the Mic Input....

Get it all in one package, power, pa, monitor and guitar cab

Well I went for the L3m, will I ever regret not having the built in mixer, I dunno, but I've not needed one to date, I don't sing or play solo gigs. There's always the band mixer I could grab if it comes up.

Thanks for you replies and looking forward to my delivery... takes about 2 weeks usually (to Cyprus).

Cheers

Simon.

If you have the extra scratch, that's the best choice.

I've owned the HD500 and the HD500X and tonal wise there was no difference.  Only that the X rarely runs into DSP problems.

I wonder what causes the DSP problems.... I have yet to run into that.... But I run a pretty normal setup, one amp, a few effects and a volume and Wah....

I have built patches with two amps and haven't hit that yet, though I don't really use the two amp setup..

I like to be able to easily adjust on the fly when playing live without too complicated a signal chain

You'll love the power from the L3!!!

I rarely turn it up past a quarter and use the master on my hd500x....

IT GETS LOUD....

Still consider the L3T though, if anything for the RCA input.... I use it to play my iPad through to jam with, to play music for my band, and to route through my headphone jack on my hd500 when hooked up to my PC.... Great way to record and monitor your tone and play your backing tracks at the same time and get a great level mix

DSP issues?  If running dual amp setups or a lot of effects.  I rarely ran into it where it was actually an issue.  Sometimes it forced me to create two different patches but I never thought it was that big of a deal.  With the old POD using two amps it wasn't that hard to hit the DSP ceiling.

With the X model I think I've only ran into it a couple of times, and it's always something that's easy to work around.

• 2 weeks later...

If I use the L6 connection from HD500X to the L2/3 speaker, are any advantages to sending the feed to the PA from the L2/3 insteadof direct from the pod?

Cheers.

Yes, keep in mind that the global EQ functions on the XLR outputs, but not on the Line6 link.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, new update experimenting with my L3t....

Wanted effects for all my mics...

I ran a Berhinger 8 channel mixer for my mics, them monitor out to my left and right inputs of the L3t.... Set one L3t for a lot of reverb and effects, the other side for a small amount, set the inputs to -20db for safety....

Ran my guitar as usual thru the Link...

And my IPad thru the RCA Jacks....

Ran the L3t line out to a seperate power and with two monitors hooked up

AWESOME!!!!!

Effects, P A, panning, everything in one awesomely overpowered package

• Upvote 1