Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why go for the rack plus floor when you can get it all in the floor?

zackmueller92

I think the main reason would be security and safety of the device. In the rack there is less risk of damage to the main CPU, components, and connecting cables (liquid spills, misplaced steps, feet tangled in cables, ....). In both cases there is a floorboard but the Helix Control is lees costly to replace if damaged.

Also, for studio vs. gigging, you set up Helix Rack with all its connections just once and then leave it in place, with a smaller floorboard using less floor footprint.

I am going for the rack.  I am a studio composer/musician/mixing engineer.  I don't do any LIVE shows, nor do I intend to.

I am choosing the rack because:

1.  I have a setup to where I can have it angled up at me for easy access while I am right there at my PC, even with guitar in hand.  It would actually be less convenient with the pedal version.

2.  I have made a decision years ago I will not have my processor on the floor anymore. Mainly for safety reasons. USB disconnect in the middle of recording session often blue screens, or will lock up the program, and you lose what hasn't been saved.

3.  I prefer the look of the rack.  Very sleek looking

4.  The rack is cheaper - I don't intend to get the floor board controller any time soon. 

It all boils down to personal choice. I've been gigging for many years, and have been using floor fx mostly, with a couple of exceptions with an fx in a small 2 or 3 space rack, but it always ate the same floor space plus space for the rack.

I am very protective of my equipment, and have always placed my stuff to do my best to keep it out of harm's way.... I've always been a weekender, so hauling weight and setup time are always considerations, as well. I have down sized to a small, powerful system. I typically don't have much stage room to work with, so for me, the choice was always the floor unit.

Obviously YMMV....

Dave

I am going for the rack.  I am a studio composer/musician/mixing engineer.  I don't do any LIVE shows, nor do I intend to.

I am choosing the rack because:

1.  I have a setup to where I can have it angled up at me for easy access while I am right there at my PC, even with guitar in hand.  It would actually be less convenient with the pedal version.

2.  I have made a decision years ago I will not have my processor on the floor anymore. Mainly for safety reasons. USB disconnect in the middle of recording session often blue screens, or will lock up the program, and you lose what hasn't been saved.

3.  I prefer the look of the rack.  Very sleek looking

4.  The rack is cheaper - I don't intend to get the floor board controller any time soon. 

I am beta testing the rack and agree with most of what you say (although it's all about sound to me, and I couldn't care less about #3... But especially #1. SO much easier to edit when I can reach the rack than on the floor.

But I have to tell you the power of this unit WITH the controller is awesome, and you might want to reconsider #4

The main Pro choice of the rack unit is cable runs.

In a Pro stage setup The rack unit goes in the rack and the run to the amps is shorter.

There are no long cable runs out to the floorboard version, only midi or cat

Most pros are using controllers already even with pedals in the rack.

Not that I am a gigging Pro but to me the Helix is designed to be a hub capable of incorporating an exiting rig.

I personally would go the floorboard version as you get the screen as you use the interactive pedals.

But I got to agree on the floor what a pain. Put it on a music stand or rack and use a 3rd party foot controller.

If you guys are on the fence about which version you'll end up with, Line 6 announced they are lowering the price of Helix rack and its floor control.  The rack will now be $1399.99 and the floor control will be $399.99 (US MAP).  

It really is mainly preference.  The rack unit offers a word clock that the floor processor doesn't, and maybe that's a big selling point for studio guys. 

I get the convenience of having it all on the floor model in one unit, but I've used rack stuff for so long that I already have the cases and racked wireless stuff, so I'll probably end up with Helix rack.  The big decider will be how I end up actually using it. Either FR/FR with the floor processor Helix, or with a racked tube power amp and a 2x12 - I'll go with Helix Rack.  Hopefully I'll be testing it for my own personal use with engl and fryette power amps through a slew of 2x12s in late January : )

I am beta testing the rack and agree with most of what you say (although it's all about sound to me, and I couldn't care less about #3... But especially #1. SO much easier to edit when I can reach the rack than on the floor.

But I have to tell you the power of this unit WITH the controller is awesome, and you might want to reconsider #4

Actually I do plan on getting the controller at some point.  Just not for guitar use. As I would have the rack angled up to me.

I have it more in mind for the controller to be by the mic stand, So I can access the Helix from the mic stand without having to go back and forth while recording takes on the mic.  But I don't even plan on getting the Rack until April/May. (which I don't even consider that soon) I will probably get the controller towards the holidays of next year. 

I appreciate the advice though!