Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FW v1.04.3 Now Available

Digital_Igloo

HELIX FIRMWARE v1.04.3 RELEASE NOTES

IMPORTANT! Before restoring your backed up presets to Helix, you must first install the latest version of the Helix application!

Helix v1.04.3 is a free firmware update that includes fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

It is also recommended that you back up your current presets by using the Helix application to create a preset bundle, allowing you to install new presets as part of the update process.

The easiest way to perform the update process is by installing the latest version of Line 6 Updater. Once you've connected Helix to your computer via its USB port (hubs are not supported), Line 6 Updater will recognize the unit and take you through the update process. The Line 6 Updater application may be downloaded here: http://line6.com/software/

BUG FIXES

• In rare cases, engaging the expression pedal toe switch may cause the 1/4" and XLR outputs to stop passing audio, while the rest of the unit appears to be functioning normally. Audio could only be restored by turning Helix off and back on again —FIXED
  • General stability improvements
  • Other minor bug fixes and optimizations

RESETTING HELIX GLOBALS
IMPORTANT! This procedure will completely overwrite all existing presets and setlists, as well as clear all user IRs and reset all global settings! Back up your presets and IRs before proceeding!

1. Turn off Helix.
  2. While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

Known Issues

• Assigning a custom label to the EXP Toe Switch scribble strip disconnects wah blocks Position parameter from EXP 1; can be manually reassigned
  • Pressing BYPASS while viewing the Model List > Looper category can invert Looper footswitch behavior
  • Saving a preset to a new destination may display the wrong preset name until it's reloaded
  • While a loop is playing, changing from a preset with the Looper block on Path 1 to one with the Looper block on Path 2 may cause a small portion of the recorded loop to play
  • Minor pops and clicks may be present when Helix is streaming audio from a Mac® running OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan)
  • Minor pops and clicks may be present when Helix is streaming audio from an iOS® device running iOS 9 with Apple® Camera Kit
  • Importing a Helix bundle while streaming audio over USB may cause the Helix application to disconnect
  • In rare cases, Amp+Cab or Cab > Dual parameter graphics may overlap the action panel buttons while in Pedal Edit mode
  • Changing a delay with note subdivision time will unsync resultant delay time from Preset/Global BPM
  • Upvote 2

Since updating to 1.04.3, I've noticed exiting from the Looper sometimes (actually quite often) doesn't return to the footswitches but instead displays the two rows of bank patches. I've used the Looper a lot and never noticed this behavior before. This make it require multiple presses of the Exit switch to get back to the normal patch footswitch operation. It doesn't happen all the time, and seems to depend on what other footswitches might have been on when you entered the looper. I'm using 10 footswitch mode, and it seems if footswitch 1 is on, this seems to cause the Looper Exit to fail more often.

There's no phantom power on the XLR outs, only on the XLR mic input. I think the defect you are referring to is the loss of audio output from the XLR outputs which hopefull is address by the first bullet item above.

No. He's referring to the thread talking about fizz created when phantom power from a board is applied to the XLR outs. Line 6 has been mostly silent on the issue.

http://line6.com/support/topic/17205-xlr-hiss-phantom-power-and-helix/

• Upvote 1

No. He's referring to the thread talking about fizz created when phantom power from a board is applied to the XLR outs. Line 6 has been mostly silent on the issue.

http://line6.com/support/topic/17205-xlr-hiss-phantom-power-and-helix/

I can almost guarantee there is nothing they can do,with software for that issue. It would take a circuit redesign to fix this issue . In years past I have seen this occur on things like high end Mocs, certain rack units like effects etc. so I doubt it can be addressed.Especially since it is not really their issue and is easily resolved by turning phantom power off for the channel. I have on,y heard recently of boards with no way to,turn off phantom power on individual channels or blocks of channels. I find that ludicrous and at first didn't believe it but multiple people have said this so I guess it is so. There are transformers you can buy to put on these board inputs that should do the trick but they probably are not real cheap. You could try the 1/4 inch outputs also. Another alternative though not a preferred work around would be to go into your channel insert but this also bypasses the channel preamp. This is not preferred but I do not think inserts carry phantom power. I truly hope there is a firmware fix but I highly doubt it.

I can almost guarantee there is nothing they can do,with software for that issue. It would take a circuit redesign to fix this issue . In years past I have seen this occur on things like high end Mocs, certain rack units like effects etc. so I doubt it can be addressed.Especially since it is not really their issue and is easily resolved by turning phantom power off for the channel. I have on,y heard recently of boards with no way to,turn off phantom power on individual channels or blocks of channels. I find that ludicrous and at first didn't believe it but multiple people have said this so I guess it is so. There are transformers you can buy to put on these board inputs that should do the trick but they probably are not real cheap. You could try the 1/4 inch outputs also. Another alternative though not a preferred work around would be to go into your channel insert but this also bypasses the channel preamp. This is not preferred but I do not think inserts carry phantom power. I truly hope there is a firmware fix but I highly doubt it.

I agree with you, but the point is L6 should respond. The way I see it there are 3 possibilities:

1) A firmware fix can solve it. Not very likely, but possible I guess.

2) L6 sees it as a problem and will mod the hardware. That either means later model HELIXes will be different to current models, or L6 would need to offer a warranty fix.

3) L6 doesn't see it as a problem and will not fix it. In this case, they should at least note it in the manual so everyone is aware of the issue going forward, instead of hair-tearing-out and possibly ruining gigs while people try to track down the issue on-site.

Although these threads are not the official place to note these things to L6, the fact is, they eventually do read them, as do we, and I am sure they are aware of the concern over the issue. The silence to me, is somewhat telling. Hopefully they will respond at some point so everyone knows where L6 stands. Even "we're not going to change the hardware, but we will note it in the manual so everyone knows what it might be when they get fizz with a HELIX on a gig".

• Upvote 2

I agree with you, but the point is L6 should respond. The way I see it there are 3 possibilities:

1) A firmware fix can solve it. Not very likely, but possible I guess.

2) L6 sees it as a problem and will mod the hardware. That either means later model HELIXes will be different to current models, or L6 would need to offer a warranty fix.

3) L6 doesn't see it as a problem and will not fix it. In this case, they should at least note it in the manual so everyone is aware of the issue going forward, instead of hair-tearing-out and possibly ruining gigs while people try to track down the issue on-site.

Although these threads are not the official place to note these things to L6, the fact is, they eventually do read them, as do we, and I am sure they are aware of the concern over the issue. The silence to me, is somewhat telling. Hopefully they will respond at some point so everyone knows where L6 stands. Even "we're not going to change the hardware, but we will note it in the manual so everyone knows what it might be when they get fizz with a HELIX on a gig".

I also expect this is not software-fixable and really want some honest communication from Line 6 on this. I find it ridiculous for a product in this price range (plus it wouldn't work even with their own M20 mixer) and the least Line 6 could do is to say "sorry, it's a problem with our product, we cannot do anything about it" (I understand it may be a supplier problem but Line 6 are responsible anyway). That said I don't think we'll get anything from Line 6 because 1) the Knowledge Base item is dated Oct 31 and there's just silence since then and 2) we probably just can't expect that Line 6 would choose to put out any communication which would be kind of saying "Helix is a bad product".

I have a really bad feeling about this and it's partly because chatting with Line 6 representation here creates a sort of friendly environment among Line 6 and Helix early adopters but when you really need an honest word there is just dead silence. My bad, it's just business after all. Hell, I would just like to know who screwed this up or if they just knew from the design stage as they made a deliberate decision and thought "so what, they'll get over this...".

Anyway back to reality. I am always going straight to mixer and cannot afford to not be prepared for a situation when phantom power cannot be switched off on the mixer for my channels (I've been having gigs like that). I like the TritonAudio Phantom Blockers posted in the XLR hiss forum, not the cheapest (ART DTI is cheaper as it has two channels) but definitely the lightest and smallest thing I found so far which is quite a big deal for me (Helix not being the lightest and smallest thing...). So I'll be "lugging" two of these with me on every gig. Helix just got $120 more expensive and 96g heavier... oh well, life is not perfect.

I feel for those with issues but I do not consider this a Line 6 issue. If they had known all that would be required would be a troubleshooting note stating that if you get excessive his through a mixing console using the helix car outs make sure phantom power is off or try switching the output of the helix to mic. Can this be addressed in future Helix units? Sure but production costs , designs and extra components for the output transformers will increase cost. They wouldn't make devices to block phantom power if this wasn't an issue that happens with other devices too. Try hooking an old ribbon mic up to s board with phantom power on. Not only will you hear hiss but you will probably fry the ribbon element. Issues like that are why I could not believe it when people said they couldn't turn off phantom power or could only turn it on or off every output. Not having outputs isolated from phantom power is totally unacceptable in professional , or any audio, for that matter. Especially in today's multimedia world. Our projector goes nuts if phantom power gets switched on it's channel.

if enough people have issues I am sure future units will be modified. But only if it's a huge issue meaning 1000s of complaints. They will be spending R&D money for an issue that is not really theirs. If it has to be done I am sure it will be in time. I guess they could through an extra sheet of paper in the box with additional trouble shooting notes for now but I can't see that unless a lot more have issues. Keep in mind that even if 50 people complain about it on here that is probably an acceptable level for line 6 if they have 3000 units out there.

I feel for those with issues but I do not consider this a Line 6 issue. If they had known all that would be required would be a troubleshooting note stating that if you get excessive his through a mixing console using the helix car outs make sure phantom power is off or try switching the output of the helix to mic. Can this be addressed in future Helix units? Sure but production costs , designs and extra components for the output transformers will increase cost. They wouldn't make devices to block phantom power if this wasn't an issue that happens with other devices too. Try hooking an old ribbon mic up to s board with phantom power on. Not only will you hear hiss but you will probably fry the ribbon element. Issues like that are why I could not believe it when people said they couldn't turn off phantom power or could only turn it on or off every output. Not having outputs isolated from phantom power is totally unacceptable in professional , or any audio, for that matter. Especially in today's multimedia world. Our projector goes nuts if phantom power gets switched on it's channel.

if enough people have issues I am sure future units will be modified. But only if it's a huge issue meaning 1000s of complaints. They will be spending R&D money for an issue that is not really theirs. If it has to be done I am sure it will be in time. I guess they could through an extra sheet of paper in the box with additional trouble shooting notes for now but I can't see that unless a lot more have issues. Keep in mind that even if 50 people complain about it on here that is probably an acceptable level for line 6 if they have 3000 units out there.

Ok:

1) First of all it's mainly a matter of (no) communication now - both for sentimental and practical reasons (should I invest into a phantom blocker? Not sure till not confirmed by Line 6 this can't/won't be fixed - firmware or warranty repair).

2) How is this not Line 6's problem? It prevents you to use a combination of Line 6 products (Helix, M20) in certain scenarios (condensor mics) without using workarounds (1/4" or other gear - DI box, phantom blocker...). Line 6 can perhaps blame their supplier for whichever component is causing this but we can blame Line 6 for Helix (either they knew about this issue from the beginning or they didn't and should have found out during testing as it's their product).

3) Not having outputs isolated from phantom power is totally unacceptable in professional , or any audio, for that matter.  Well, that depends. I live in the world of small to medium stages using small to medium mixers and honestly I think most of these small mixers produced nowadays don't have separate controls to switch phantom off on individual channels. Sure it would be better to have it but the world into which Line 6 produced their Helix is not such. And mainly, Line 6 is producing M20, a premium mixer which also does not have this feature. So I'd assume they would make Helix compatible with their product line...

Just a personal story to conclude this:

Once I was told beforehand that we will be playing a stage where there is just a single button to control phantom on all channels and we'll need to switch it on (drums overheads). So I went through all our devices that needed to be connected (Ampeg bass amp XLR out, my Pod HD Pro XLR outs and TC Helicon Voiceworks Plus and a Kurzweil keyboard with balanced outs) and checked with all the manufactures whether it's safe to connect these and whether it will sound right. All responses (include Line 6's) was "Of course, there is no problem". Usually they added "All our products are ready for phantom". Now with a premium Line 6 device it's not "of course" anymore.

BigRalphN:  Find me just one mixer from 6 to 12 channels that do have individual phantom power.. more, look at the ones 16 or 24 channels: you would probably find 1 or 2 with that feature. It's a common feature only on very large boards, or some smaller digital ones. So I would say 90 % of mixers used on 90 % of gigs worldwide hasn't got it. And do you think L6 doesn't know it? Of corse they do, and that's why we only get  their silence. It's been a mistake, just a couple of caps and resistors all in all. That I'm sure they will put in future Helixes.. We early adopters only have to fix it by ourselves. :huh:

• Upvote 1

Since updating to 1.04.3, I've noticed exiting from the Looper sometimes (actually quite often) doesn't return to the footswitches but instead displays the two rows of bank patches. I've used the Looper a lot and never noticed this behavior before. This make it require multiple presses of the Exit switch to get back to the normal patch footswitch operation. It doesn't happen all the time, and seems to depend on what other footswitches might have been on when you entered the looper. I'm using 10 footswitch mode, and it seems if footswitch 1 is on, this seems to cause the Looper Exit to fail more often.

As far as we know 1.04.03 should have no effect to the Looper. If it is possible to record a video of this issue and open a ticket, we would greatly appreciate it. Also, if this happens on a specific patch, it would be helpful to send us the patch.

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

Cheers,

Line6Hunter

Your points on Line 6 should be compatible with their iwn product is well taken and fur the most part I agree there. But it also isn't unusual for new lines to not have backwards compatibility. I guess I could possibly see the phantom powe issue on small 6 to 12 channel boards just having all on or off. I really was nit debating that issue. Like I said in a previous post on here I have been out of the pro audio field for many years and the smallest board we used was 18 channels with only a few exceptions. We did use small Shure single mixers that could be bussed fir 8 channels max but they had no phantom power. I believe everyone when they tell me about it though again, I would never have one like that no matter how any channels. I guess I need to research the next board we get as we use phantom in a couple for a number of different things and switch our setup often.

That said I still stand by most of my thoughts. I do agree that it would be nice if Liine 6 at least acknowledged that they will investigate the issue but to admit an issue opens up all kinds of legal issues that they will not do unless they are positive there is a major issue. For me it is a non issue as there are easy fixes. I understand that may not be the case.

To give you an idea how long ago my sound work was the last Major Act I did (lots of small for few years after) was Olivia Newton John is support of The Rumour album. It was actually more of a Christmas show as it was 88 or 89. I can't even remember the year. I was a free lance hiree for the show and mostly did monitor mix at the show.

The HD500X at $449 plays just fine with phantom power, its definitely not unreasonable to expect a device at three times the price point to AT MINIMUM have the same functionality. I use my POD DI from the XLR outs at pretty much every venue, and was planning to do the same with the Helix (if it ever arrives - f&%k you Guitar Center), but now it looks like I'm going to have to carry around another DI box or couple of Phantom Blockers (at my own expense, of course) to make sure my $1500 "flagship" amp modeler will play nice with any board I might have to plug into. Kinda almost completely defeats the purpose of having those XLR direct outputs if half the time I'm going to have to DI off of my 1/4" outputs anyways and carry extra equipment.

• Upvote 1

As far as we know 1.04.03 should have no effect to the Looper. If it is possible to record a video of this issue and open a ticket, we would greatly appreciate it. Also, if this happens on a specific patch, it would be helpful to send us the patch.

Cheers,

Line6Hunter

I couldn't reproduce it consistently today. But right after the update it happened every time. Might be a problem with the foots witch, its like pressing the switch and having it send two events instead of one.

... just a couple of caps and resistors all in all. That I'm sure they will put in future Helixes.. We early adopters only have to fix it by ourselves. :huh:

And you're absolutely right, brainbug. I "guesstimate" about $20-$30 worth of parts, including both XLR connectors (in and out) and the case to house the board, which you can find at any Radio Shack that is still open.

There is a PDF with instructions on how to make your own. Parts and soldering skills not included. Also please note that there are two pins on each side that are labelled "Pin 2", one of them should be "Pin 3" instead. For ease, the bottom "Pin 2" on the left and on the right of the schematics, should be "Pin 3" instead.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=x-raw-image:///7210f2b722aa8b9353d280fd3a1617137a2ed1bfa17935c0c5aed3e3c048b70c&imgrefurl=https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/geekslutz-forum/232400d1304024213-phantom-power-blocker-phantom-blocker.pdf&h=239&w=350&tbnid=k4uqIrfyEHKfKM:&docid=WYuBRhAAlSdc6M&ei=rdB4VrObH4WBmQG5646wAQ&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwjzpa7xz-7JAhWFQCYKHbm1AxYQMwggKAMwAw

... or you can buy one for about US$35

http://www.markertek.com/product/ses-il-ppb/sescom-ses-il-ppb-xlr-inline-phantom-power-blocker

... or about 40 Euro for our European friends, who are always getting $hafted with the exchange rate:

http://www.tritonaudio.com/index.php?option=com_simpleshop&Itemid=30&cmd=product&product=23&catName=Pro%20Audio

I also wanted to add I really am not against you guys. I do understand the frustration/anger you have. We do disagree on certain aspects. I do think it will need to be addressed at some point.

Sure, no problem. We're just discussing, so far mainly reaffirming our own opinions :)

The HD500X at $449 plays just fine with phantom power, its definitely not unreasonable to expect a device at three times the price point to AT MINIMUM have the same functionality. I use my POD DI from the XLR outs at pretty much every venue, and was planning to do the same with the Helix (if it ever arrives - f&%k you Guitar Center), but now it looks like I'm going to have to carry around another DI box or couple of Phantom Blockers (at my own expense, of course) to make sure my $1500 "flagship" amp modeler will play nice with any board I might have to plug into. Kinda almost completely defeats the purpose of having those XLR direct outputs if half the time I'm going to have to DI off of my 1/4" outputs anyways and carry extra equipment.

Word!

Many PA mixing boards also provide balanced TRS inputs, especially for stereo channels. I use a XLR to TRS cable with my Helix with my Persons 16.0.2 with these cables into one of the stereo channels.

I'm not sure I will be able to convince the local soundguy in every club to reconnect his end of the snake cable with my two XLR->TRS cables just because Line 6 were thinking so much about creating a perfect modelling tool that they forgot it had to be connected to a mixing board in order to be played ;)

BUG FIXES

• In rare cases, engaging the expression pedal toe switch may cause the 1/4" and XLR outputs to stop passing audio, while the rest of the unit appears to be functioning normally. Audio could only be restored by turning Helix off and back on again —FIXED

Thank you Line 6 for fixing this! :-)

• Upvote 1

I backed up.  I updated successfully and I restarted but held the buttons to keep my IRs and Global settings intact.

I was working on presets and testing some from Customtone.  I'm not exactly sure what I did at the time, but shortly after going from one preset to another and while changing some of the settings, my screen went black.  This is the first time it's done this.  I still heard sound, but had to turn off the Helix and turn it back on to get the screen back.  It also rebuilt the presets when I turned it back on (it had already rebuilt the presets when I restarted after the update).  

I thought the black screen issues were all fixed??? 

I backed up.  I updated successfully and I restarted but held the buttons to keep my IRs and Global settings intact.

I was working on presets and testing some from Customtone.  I'm not exactly sure what I did at the time, but shortly after going from one preset to another and while changing some of the settings, my screen went black.  This is the first time it's done this.  I still heard sound, but had to turn off the Helix and turn it back on to get the screen back.  It also rebuilt the presets when I turned it back on (it had already rebuilt the presets when I restarted after the update).  

Same thing happened to me! Hope for å permanent fix for this issue.

Same thing happened to me! Hope for å permanent fix for this issue.

Greetings!

If this issue persists, please open up a ticket with customer support. The information we get from these tickets helps quantify the issue and and gather information on these issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question guys. I just updated to the firmware 1.04.3 and i do not see any output settings in global settings to adjust xlr or 1/4 inch output to line or instrument. It had been there before and now it is nowhere to be found. Am i missing something here. If this is an issue than maybe that is why i see some posts about settings not sounding the same with this latest update