Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Way to Connect HD500X to KRK Rokits

stephen776

I have searched high and low and have not found a straightforward answer.

I have an HD500x on the way and a pair of Rokit 6 G3 to pair with it.

The Rokit 6's have the following inputs:

Balanced XLR

Balanced TRS(1/4" jack)

Unbalanced RCA

I believe I have read that it is preferred to use the unbalanced 1/4" output on the HD500X as the XLR output signal is low.

Can I connect the 1/4" unbalanced out to the 1/4" balanced TRS on the Rokits? What cable should I be using?

Or should I use a 1/4" unbalanced to RCA cable? 

I am so confused!

Thanks for the help.

Since I haven't had my HD run straight to the Rokits in a long time (I go thru a mixer in my studio), I decided to test this before I gave advice.

Using a db meter in my iPhone 6' from the Rokits (Rokits at full volume) and the Treadplate amp at 50% (master full up):

1/4" unbalanced (with TRS cable) out to XLR in= 75db

XLR to XLR = 65db

All detectable noise was from the Treadplate. I repeated the test with the Blackface Double (Twin), virtually no noise.

Is there a difference between using guitar cables and speaker cables with the unbalanced output?

If I'm going to my monitors, I assume I'm using a speaker 1/4 to xlr

But of I'm going into an amp fx return, I'd want to use a guitar cable 1/4 to 1/4.

do I need to make sure I have the correct settings selected.

The Rokets have an XLR balanced input and the POD HD has a balanced output. Low noise.

The line level input on the rokets are TS inputs. On the Pod HD You will be fine usiing two TS cables one for each of the rkets

Speaker cables are not what you want for your rokets as you are essentually going to the power amp first. Speaker cable is generally unsheilded and goes from power amp to passive speaker.

Guitar cables what you want; shielded 

If you are handy with a soldering iron you can use mic cable and connect a TS jack one + the other - and also connect the shield at the send end and not connect the shield at the receive jack end. Mark clearly which end is which for future identification. Signal passes thru via the + - and the shield helps shield but not as well as a balanced Mic cable

If you  use unbalancd TS 1/4" cables into a balanced 1/4" TRS input, it should work fine, but the signal will be unbalanced and will be subject to noise and interference.  If you use TRS balanced cables in an unbalanced output (like the POD) it will also be unbalanced as the ring part of the cable will be ignored.  You can buy a direct box that converts your unbalanced 1/4" signal into at balanced 1/4" TRS signal.

Balanced vs unbalanced in relation to noise is generally not a problem in cable runs under 20 feet - that's why I ran the tests using a quiet amp (Blackface). If your Rokits are going to be more than 20' from the POD, use a direct box, taking a short 1/4" (shielded) TS cable from POD to the Direct box, then XLR/XLR from Direct box to Rokits. If you're buying cables and not going with a direct box the ones I recommended will allow the most flexibility for future setups, at a great price.

Why not just use XLR to XLR? This is what they're for. Just get a couple of mic cables. Done. No worries. Plus you get the best possible signal quality since the entire connector and cabling system is all balanced.

I was under the impression that the signal from the xlr output is too low to get decent volume from studio monitors

Back with my observations: XLR out on HD to XLR input on monitors is WAY TOO QUIET.

Volume cranked on monitors and HD and I can barely hear anything from a clean amp model. Output mode is correctly set to studio/direct.

Tested with TRS-XLR cable and volume is much much better. I am going to keep going this route if I can confirm I won't be harming my monitors by sending them an unbalanced signal into its balanced input. Can anyone comment?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this one back to life. My monitor pair has only two RCAs and two TRS Ins.

I was thinking going with a XLR/TRS cable from [POD XLR outs -> XLR in Monitors]. But I read here it was too quiet for use. i don't need a lot of volume, but anyway...

So Should I go with  regular guitar cables from the [1/4 Out POD -> TRS In Monitors] with the 1/4" out switch set on LINE?

Or Should i just use the headphone out to RCA? Do I get lower quality with this option?

Thank you in advance.

Measurements of gain and I/O levels were made and summarized here. As you can see, the XLR outputs have 9.4dB less gain than the 1/4" outputs while the headphone output has 15.4 more gain. So it all depends on how much gain your monitors have, but you won't lose much fidelity with the headphone output. You'll just lose the ability to use headphones. Also, as noted in the measurements, the pad cuts (only) the guitar input by 5.4dB and Line increases the 1/4" output (only) by 6.1dB compared to Amp.

Depending on the length of cables you're talking about, XLR -> TRS will maintain a balanced/shielded connection so it'll give you the highest quality/lowest noise signal. Next best is probably to stay with the TRS input of your monitors and using either the 1/4" or headphone outputs.