Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New 500 owner. Problems with selector switch

Hi all! I just picked up a Varix 500, and I seem to have a problem. The selector switch works great until I pass Lester, then the power goes off. I'm using a new 9v battery, if that makes a difference. If I turn the switch back to Lester or before, then remove & replace the battery, it works again, but if I pass Lester, it goes off. Where do I start looking for the problem? Switch? Circuit? Software? There is so much going on here, I don't know what to do first. TIA for any advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally had a chance to sit down with this and plug it into an amp for a while. It seems I'm only getting one sound, regardless of where the selector switch is set, and it cuts out after it's turned past "Special". I have a feeling this has a major issue I am not going to be able to figure out on my own. I was really excited to get this, but since it seems that there isn't a repair place anywhere near me, and a scarcity of parts, I think it's going to be relegated to the closet until I find someone who can help fix it, or who will take it off my hands.

Hi Charlie,

This guitar didn't come with anything other than the guitar itself, so I have no way of plugging it in. There is someone local to me that has one, so when he has time in Feb, we will see what we can do. I really hope it's as simple as you say, but I'm usually not that lucky. :(

I thought the same way, if part of it's working, then it's probably not a fried board. I don't have any way to access the online, and I really can't afford to be buying anything at the moment, so I'm stuck for the time being. I have a line on a Pod XT Live, which I plan on getting, but that will probablly be next month.

I bought the guitar from a young man for $100.00. He knew it had problems and told me so, but didn't know what was wrong. I can't fault him at all, he was up front with me. I took a chance. I'm hopeful the firmware can be reflashed & it will be OK. I've worked on guitars for years, and this one plays well now that the neck has been adusted & the action and intonation is set. I could easily keep it by the couch & use it as a practice guitar while watching TV, so I don't consider it a loss, just a learning experience. I put it in the closet for the moment, because if it's in front of me I'll keep messing with it, and not knowing how it works, I may do more damage than good. When the guy local to me has some time, we'll get  it plugged in and see what happens.

The selector is not a rotary switch but it is a pot with detents.  The board reads the position with an A/D and it does need to be calibrated if you change the pot.  If all settings sound the same, then something is wrong but I would still strongly recommend trying to reflash it before doing any work inside.

That makes a lot of sense! I was sure there were different settings when I got it, and now there aren't. Having to calibrate it makes all kinds of sense. I haven't replaced it with the new one yet, I'll wait until it can be looked at by someone who knows what he is doing, reflash the firmware, and see where we stand.

Full Compass has the replacement rotary switch.

There are also calibration steps to set that knob so that it lands on the correct spots for each guitar.

Where do I find the calibration intructions? I don't see it in the manual or service manual.

1. Hook everything up as if you are about to play with the 700 powered up with the XPS A/B box, turn your amp down enough just so you can hear the beeps when sounded. 

2. Set the guitar mode select switch to Custom1 to start called min. in the instructions below. 

3. Set the 5-way selector switch to position 2 (towards neck setting). 

4. Pull the XPS cable out at the guitar's input jack. 

5. Pull up on the mode select knob. 

6. Insert the XPS cable back into the guitar's input jack. 

Calibrate Model Select Knob 
7. The Variax outputs a long, low frequency tone to indicate entry into this mode. 

7A. Turn the model select knob from min (Custom1) to max (Custom2) back to min (Custom1) with a medium smooth speed. When you get back to min you will hear the 1st beep for step 8. Then continue with 8. 

8. Turn the model select knob (slowly) from min (Custom1) to max (Custom2), wait until you hear a beep at each select mode before turning to the next select mode, then return to min. (Custom1). 

9. When finished, the Variax outputs a short low tone followed by a short low, high, low sequence followed by a longer higher tone. The Variax returns to the mode 
select state. 

10. Push the Model Select knob down, this should be all you have to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the proper cable, I got the XT Live, downloaded Monkey & Workbench, went thru the process of refreshing the firmware, & calibrated the Model Select controls. SUCCESS!!!! I'll be spending the rest of the day in my music room, learning how to operate all this stuff. MUCHO thanks for the help!

That is great news.  Good work by the way!  Sometimes the software can be a PIA to get installed and working.

I just follwed the directions, and it worked like it should. I'm really glad there were no hiccups with it. Now I need to spend some time with the guitar straight into the P A, so I can get a handle on it, without having to figure out the XT Live at the same time. Baby steps. There are SO MANY choices!