Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What determines output mode: stereo/mono on Helix?

GazzaBloom

Hi,

How is the output mode mono/stereo determined on the Helix for all outputs? i.e. is it a global setting per output or blanket for all outputs? or is it determined within the patch by the choice of blocks (stereo/mono)?

Reason I ask is this scenario: Could the Helix be connected to an amp in a simple guitar into Helix and 1/4 mono out to tube amp in and run as a traditional front of amp FX only unit...BUT....at the same time be connected via SPDIF to an audio interface and run in stereo? I wouldn't want to run both together but switch between the 2 depending on needs, without having to redo physical connections.

Can this be done without reconfiguring any global output parameters every time? Could I create FX only mono patches for use through the tube amp, with no amp/cab modelling and then other patches for stereo recording with the amp/cab modelling switched on?

Hi,

How is the output mode mono/stereo determined on the Helix for all outputs? i.e. is it a global setting per output or blanket for all outputs? or is it determined within the patch by the choice of blocks (stereo/mono)?

Reason I ask is this scenario: Could the Helix be connected to an amp in a simple guitar into Helix and 1/4 mono out to tube amp in and run as a traditional front of amp FX only unit...BUT....at the same time be connected via SPDIF to an audio interface and run in stereo? I wouldn't want to run both together but switch between the 2 depending on needs, without having to redo physical connections.

Can this be done without reconfiguring any global output parameters every time? Could I create FX only mono patches for use through the tube amp, with no amp/cab modelling and then other patches for stereo recording with the amp/cab modelling switched on?

Well, at the most basic level, if you want to maintain true stereo through the Helix, you need to use stereo effects. There are mono and stereo versions of the effects. But beyond that, if you use just one of the 1/4" or XLR outs, the Helix will sum that signal to mono. So, yes, you could conceivably have a stereo signal via the SPDIF and a mono out of the 1/4". Although, actually, the best way to do what you're wanting to do might be to insert a send block in front of the amp model in the Helix. That way you could send the signal with the amp modeling to the SPDIF and the effects-only signal to your amp.