Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Easy way to jam along with Helix?

mjorden

On my Kemper, I can plug a stereo split from my iPhone into the effects return to jam and learn new songs. Is there an easy way to do this in the Helix without programming every patch? I haven't figured one out yet. I can plug everything into a mixer but it is nice to have everything self contained.

With everything Helix offers, I don't get why they didn't add the MP3/CD input.  Yeah I know the USB thing works, if you bring your laptop or have an Apple product.  Still...

I remember reading a post by DI saying that it wasn't included because devices in the class that Helix is in don't have that sort of connection option. So I guess the standards for the industry is to blame.

I remember reading a post by DI saying that it wasn't included because devices in the class that Helix is in don't have that sort of connection option. So I guess the standards for the industry is to blame.

right, so instead I have to waste 2 of the 4 FX loops just to insert a stereo audio signal... :wacko:

right, so instead I have to waste 2 of the 4 FX loops just to insert a stereo audio signal... :wacko:

I think the vast majority of people will be playing/streaming music from their PC, tablet or phone nowadays anyway. I can count the number of times I've actually used the 1/8" input on my X3L and HD500 on one hand. Using the USB audio is actually a much more convenient way to go about it.

If people really want to have the ability to jam with another device with a headphone output, they could always pick up one of these: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMX400?siid=38044

• Upvote 1

I think the vast majority of people will be playing/streaming music from their PC, tablet or phone nowadays anyway. I can count the number of times I've actually used the 1/8" input on my X3L and HD500 on one hand. Using the USB audio is actually a much more convenient way to go about it.

oh I understand.  Just wouldn't have thought in terms of hardware that it would have cost anything to keep it.  Unfortunately, streaming from anything Android is still hit or miss as USB audio support is not constant.  None of my devices actually do it.  Not always convenient to keep a laptop nearby but that is where I am headed.  Getting a used iPad is an option but who knows...

Does the Helix USB work with android OS?

As Phil said... huge variance in the Android devices and their actual Android OS build.  Some builds do not support it within the kernel, even if the hardware does.  My new Kindle Fire has hardware support but the Fire OS isn't capable.  Android 5.0 is supposed to support it but after talking to the support guys at some of the app companies, it is a crappy integration.  3rd party drivers are the best but don't help if the kernel won't support.  I may have to root it with a new OS.  The new Fire is only $49, a real bargain if I can get it to work...

• 2 weeks later...

I just plug my Ipod into the aux input and run it clean on path 2 with no effects, while my guitar is on path 1. Works well for me :P

How do I create the 2B path?  I currently have path 1 set to super serial which feeds into a few more effects on the "A" chain on path 2 and can't figure out how to use the user interface to create a separate independent path 2B with  a separate input and output block.  (I'm sure I am missing something simple)

How do I create the 2B path?  I currently have path 1 set to super serial which feeds into a few more effects on the "A" chain on path 2 and can't figure out how to use the user interface to create a separate independent path 2B with  a separate input and output block.  (I'm sure I am missing something simple)

With a block on path 2, doesn't really matter what, and if one isn't there, put one there, hit the action button then move the joystick down, then press the joystick.

Now using the joystick, navigate to where the split occurs, hit the action button, then joystick down, press joystick.

Navigate to where the merge occurs, hit the action button, then joystick down, press joystick.