Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi TT; adding pedals

Angular_Mo

My guitar-playing 18-year old son has rejecting using the Amplifi TT, even though I thought it to be a very useful device, especially in a university dormitory room.  Well, myself not being a guitar-player (please forgive me) I don't much much credibility on the topic.

"Dad, how do I change the DSP effects mid-way through a song?  Does it have a pedal interface whereby I can quickly move between effects?

Well, I have not seen a Line 6 pedal interface to the TT.  I am mighty surprised that Line 6 did not release a multi-button pedal interface to the TT... unless I missed it somewhere.

Then I got to thinking some more today...

Is it possible to feed the guitar-input from his pedal output and have the TT not add any effects?

This way, he can use the TT's Bluetooth to wirelessly send a signal to a Bluetooth enabled amplifier/speaker?

Anyone have experience using the TT this way?

• 2 weeks later...

Line 6 makes an "FBV Shortboard MkII that interfaces with the AMPLIFii TT. It connects to the back of the AMPFLIFii TT via a CAT 5 cable that comes with the FBV Shortboard MkII, which then allows you to select tones/effects and also to store downloaded tones to the FBV Shortboard MkII. I have not tried taking the output of a pedal board as an input into the AMPLIFii TT.

Is it possible to feed the guitar-input from his pedal output and have the TT not add any effects?

This way, he can use the TT's Bluetooth to wirelessly send a signal to a Bluetooth enabled amplifier/speaker?

Anyone have experience using the TT this way?

Yes, you can turn off all of the effects on the Amplifi TT and use only effects from a pedal board.  Just use the Remote app to turn any effects off.

You can't stream the output from the TT to a bluetooth speaker though.  The bluetooth on the TT is an input only.  Meaning you can stream music TO the Amplifi TT, but not FROM the TT.

In order to send the guitar output from the TT to a speaker system you need to use one of the audio outputs on the back (either one of the Main Outs, or the Optical Out).  You can also use the "Amp Out" jack to hook up the Amplifi TT to another guitar amp.

Also, just to clarify what usnavychiefret said, you cannot store any tones on the FBV Shortboard.  The Shortboard is an interface to interact with the Amplifi TT/75/150 only.  All of the tones are stored on the amp itself.

Angular_Mo,

For what it's worth, the Amplifi TT with a MK2 Shortboard is probably one of the best low cost rigs you can get.  I use this at home now.  I go between using the TT+Shortboard and a traditional pedal board all the time.  The reason I don't use the TT full time is because connecting to the app is sometimes a pain.  I also find that most of the time all I need is preprogramed and I don't even bother with the app.

Another thing to ponder is this...my son plays in a band and when he needs to travel really light, he takes my TT+Shortboard.  He uses this for rehearsal.  You can plug it into a regular amp that has an effects loop or simply play it into a stereo system or just headphone.  In his case he'll plug it into the PA.  The Table Top by itself is a bit limiting and your son is seeing that and frustrated by it.  For another $200.00 or so, the Shortboard opens up a huge world of possibilities and the system will actually work a lot like the POD HD500.  The HD500 and the TT+Shortboard are very similar in what you can do and the control you have over selecting tones and effects with your feet.  The HD500 is a much more capable unit, but some people find the older "style" tone library (non-HD) to be more pleasing and less digitally-sounding.  That's true to my ear.  I've owned both.  Also, the footprint of the Shortboard is smaller than any of the POD series floor pedals.

The TT+Shortboard is a really good way to go.  There are pros and cons to it, but if you consider the TT vs the FX100, hands down the TT+Shortboard is a superior option.

Good luck.

• 2 years later...