Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Nut replacment

It will be more about the resonant or damping qualities of how the nut

affects the overall sound, and less about the name of the brand. Do the

homework for something that works and gives you what you're looking

for out of it,... and with the correct string spacing.

And remember, Line 6 doesn't support mods that affect the functionality

of the product. And that such mods would void the warranty.

If it is a traditional Zero Fret, and not some "Zero Fret" product (don't know if such extists) - such as on my Gretsch Country Gentleman, the design of the neck & fret board need to be right for it. It takes a fret positioned at where the nut is now, so major renovation would be needed to implement it. the nut with string slots sits lower than the extra fret and just holds the strings in place as they pass over the zero fret. Action of the strings is only as high as the rest of the frets, so will probably need some neck relief work as well. Usually, if the neck of the guitar is not designed for zero fret, I'd think it'd be a whole can of worms...

Dave

I would recommend against adding in the zero fret, not just in a JTV, but in any guitar that wasn't designed for one from the drawing board.  The biggest benefit of the zero fret is less friction and less string binding at the nut. As an intonation point, a well placed nut works as well as a well dressed zero fret in my experiences.  

Things that will noticeably improve your Variax experience are:

1) Having your guitar properly set up and well intoned.

2) Using heaver gauge strings. I normally prefer 9s in standard, and I think there are pros and cons of either light or heavy strings with normal electric guitars, but with the piezo pickups you're relying on the string itself.  The bigger strings tend to sound better to me for the modeled guitars.