Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Presets sound bad after v1.04.3 Update

bertwilson

After updating to the 1.04.3 firmware, I noticed that most of the factory presets sounded fizzy/slightly distorted.  I thought I had heard this issue before so I wanted to reach out to see if anyone had ideas.  The Helix has gone from sounding amazing to not so good.   I am hearing more fizziness in my own patches as well, although they are not as pronounced as some of the factory presets.

My procedures included:

-Backed up my presets with 1.02 Helix software

-Updating firmware from 1.04.1 to 1.04.3

-Ran full reset for presets and globals after patches

-Noticed bad sounding presets....particularly amps with more gain - the Jumped Plexi was terrible

-Ran reset for presets only - Ran reset for presets and globals again

-Checked global out settings - Line out for XLR and 1/4"

-Downgraded to 1.04.1 firmware

-Ran reset for presets and globlas

Iceberg ahead Captain!!

I have been eyeballing the Helix  since its announcement and avalanche of PR. I am glad I have waited so far. I do love the interface as it is total brilliance instead of having to deep dive menus on a computer but I am concerned about all the bugs and problems with a new release . I do hope you get some help with your problem. I'm still hanging on to my POD HD 500x for now.

• Upvote 1

Iceberg ahead Captain!!

I have been eyeballing the Helix  since its announcement and avalanche of PR. I am glad I have waited so far. I do love the interface as it is total brilliance instead of having to deep dive menus on a computer but I am concerned about all the bugs and problems with a new release . I do hope you get some help with your problem. I'm still hanging on to my POD HD 500x for now.

Uh, this is one guy having this issue... I've not heard anyone else complaining of this particular thing.

Sounds to me like perhaps there's a setting changed somewhere.

To the original poster. Did you double-check the input pad setting as well? How about the mics that are being used on the cab model? Are they still the same as what they were?

• Upvote 1

My patches sound exactly as they did before the update from FW 1.04.2 to 1.04.3. I've been updating them as they come, and have no issues with them, other than the name issues with patches with New Presets in between, and I solved that with making a New Preset Dummy with simply an amp and nothing else for the New presets -- doesn't mess with those, and leaves everything in place.

I wrote down all the globals I need to reset and to what values, including my Global EQ that I have adjusted for my speaker (-8dB at mid frequency = 3 kHz, Q = 1.7), and everything works like it should. Sorta wish the bundle saves would take the Global settings with them, but you can rail against how it is, or learn what you need to do with the reality of the system.

Dave

Edit - 3 kHz, not 300 kHz... umm, that would be AM radio frequency.... jeez

Edited by davidb7170

...I wrote down all the globals I need to reset and to what values, including my Global EQ that I have adjusted for my speaker (-8dB at mid frequency = 300 kHz, Q = 1.7), and everything works like it should. Sorta wish the bundle saves would take the Global settings with them, but you can rail against how it is, or learn what you need to do with the reality of the system.

Dave

+1 for Dave's comment, especially the Global EQ. Bertwilson, if you had setup a Global EQ to compensate for your particular set of speakers, please check that it was not reset after the firmware upgrade and, if it was, you may need to put it back the way it was. I do not use Global EQ as I am going straight into an l2t and the Helix is designed to just pug into it via L6 Link without messing with EQ, but I know some do use it to compensate for their particular speakers (one way is to use the high freq shelf to roll off high freq fizz).

I'd bet its the global settings being reset that's the problem. For example, changing the 1/4" or XLR outputs from Line to Instrument could make a big difference in overall tone.

Agreed, this is exactly what I noticed, and it sounds like the problem here. I plugged everything in after doing a reset and it sounded off. I went into global settings, adjusted XLR output from mic back to like and everything was like it had been. I don't know why it changed during the reset, but it was that simple.

Is it really required to reset your Global settings??? Updating the firmware should be sufficient right?? Why would we be required to reset Global settings?? Just so we can get the latest (Factory) patches??

I don't think it is required but Digital_Igloo (L6 rep) did recommend updating the Global settings to be thorough when updating to the latest firmware.

I don't think it is required but Digital_Igloo (L6 rep) did recommend updating the Global settings to be thorough when updating to the latest firmware.

I am always wondering if I should do the reset prior to actually applying the update or after. I read the stuff each time then still wonder.

You should reset the global settings after updating.

Glenn: I don't know whether you really need to reset the globals. I think it's recommended because that's how the factory presets are created. So by resetting the globals you will hear the factory presets as they were designed to be heard. Perhaps this minimizes the usual comments about how bad factory presets sound? Of course, that will always be true - especially those presets that are designed to show off the device features and capabilities rather than for actual tonal quality.

... just my opinion - no trade secrets!

So is Line6 recommending we run the 9&10 "Resetting Helix Globals" procedure after the update or is this strictly optional?

It's optional in the way that wearing your seatbelt is optional.  ;) You'll probably be okay, but the safest path forward is to back up presets, update and reset globals, and then restore your presets.

I am always wondering if I should do the reset prior to actually applying the update or after. I read the stuff each time then still wonder.

I always wonder too and actually to be more specific, Digital_igloo recommended the 9&10 footswitch reset procedure after an update which includes the globals reset. Don't know if this will be the case for every update but it was the recommended procedure as of the 1.04.2 update. IMHO if a global reset is not truly optional but is actually required or advisable (perhaps when new global parameters are added or for other reasons) it should happen automatically as part of the update process to reduce confusion on this issue. Having a "Globals" backup as part of the Helix App would be nice too. 

I did keep everything at line level.  Those were my settings since the beginning so I made sure to get that set right.  The symptom I'm having is similar to line vs mic level from a sound standpoint.  I'll do some more digging on the mic settings part as well. 

I did keep everything at line level.  Those were my settings since the beginning so I made sure to get that set right.  The symptom I'm having is similar to line vs mic level from a sound standpoint.  I'll do some more digging on the mic settings part as well. 

We haven't heard of anybody else having this issue. If you would like to open up a ticket, we could try and resolve the issue with our Customer Service.

http://line6.com/support/tickets/