Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk Master Volume Knob

chris050177

Hi, new to the Firehawk and so far loving it, although do have a question regarding the Master Volume Knob.

What's the best mix between the master volume (red) and Guitar volume (white), some say that both are best matched equally others say biased towards Guitar volume (say 10pm RED and 2pm WHITE), then use the Amp Model Volume (PINK) to raise or lower volume! Pls help.

Thanks

The white led's only relates to mp3 playback , it's so you can balance the guitar with a backing track so there is no generally "correct" setting , it changes depending on the volume of the track being played and the patch being used

I use the pink led volume to balance volume between different patches , so it's a good idea to get that as close to middle as possible so that you have room to adjust it up or down as needed (at low volume or while using headphones the volume difference between patches can seem minimal but when amplified to gigging volume the difference between a clean patch and a soloing patch can become more pronounced

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

The white led's only relates to mp3 playback , it's so you can balance the guitar with a backing track so there is no generally "correct" setting , it changes depending on the volume of the track being played and the patch being used

I use the pink led volume to balance volume between different patches , so it's a good idea to get that as close to middle as possible so that you have room to adjust it up or down as needed (at low volume or while using headphones the volume difference between patches can seem minimal but when amplified to gigging volume the difference between a clean patch and a soloing patch can become more pronounced

I never noticed it changing without playback of an mp3, so you've taught me something there,

It possibly balances volume when recording direct too

If in doubt set it to 50-60 %

Hi.

You are both incoorect about guitar volume setting (white LED ring of volume knob).

Guitar volume setting has high influence to the patche's sound, especially how you "cut thru" the band mix. And it is ALLWAYS effective, not only with backingtrack playback.

You can easily test it (without any backingtrack playback) by turning volume knob's guitar volume setting (white LEDs) all way down to zero so you do not hear your guitar at all. Then you can gradually increase volume setting and see how it effects.

I have found that setting at about 9 o'clock makes patche's sound "muffled" and it losts especially mid frequencies so it is hard to get thru of band mix.

Setting at about 12 o'clock and higher makes sound much more crispier and more nuanced.

Volume knob's Master (red LED ring) and Guitar level (white LED ring) settings are global, i.e. they influence to all patches, when the Patch level (pink LED ring) is individual for single patch and it's stored with patch settings (this is used for balancing volume between patches).

Regards, Pekka

I'm going to experiment with this, it's certainly very interesting

It's not supposed to affect the tone in anyway, at least according to the manual

It could explain why some weeks at rehearsal my guitar sounds harsh and sometimes it sounds dull, I'd assumed I was suffering from ear fatigue when I eq'd it (could still be the case)

• Master Volume: When the LEDs are lit red, the knob adjusts the overall volume output from the device. Press the knob once to access the Guitar Level mode.

• Guitar Level: When the LEDs are lit white, the knob independently adjusts the guitar (and Variax) level. This allows

you to balance the level of your guitar versus music playback. Press the knob once to access the Channel Volume mode.

• Amp Model Channel Volume: When the LEDs are lit pink, the knob independently adjusts the Channel Volume for the current Preset's Amp Model. This is offered as an alternative to adjusting the Amp volume within the Firehawk Remote app. Press the knob once to return to Master Volume mode.

I'm really struggling to understand what the "white" volume is doing? Is the guitar pushing the amp harder when it's turned up?

I'd assumed it balanced the guitar with mp3 playback by altering the volume of the mp3 but seems I'm wrong

I'm really struggling to understand what the "white" volume is doing? Is the guitar pushing the amp harder when it's turned up?

I'd assumed it balanced the guitar with mp3 playback by altering the volume of the mp3 but seems I'm wrong

I played with this tonight at rehearsal and there appears to be a duplication of services for the white (guitar) and red (device) volume controls. They both effect all patches and stay set where you put them. But I did a test to see if there was a true volume difference if they were both cranked or if just one of them is cranked in a live amp setting (not with playback music). There was no difference in volume, but, raising just the white gave a cleaner tone than raising both. Raising just the red did not seem to effect the tone. Last wknd at an outdoor gig, I raised the red and the pink. Not the white. Big mistake. The pink channel volume totally changed my tones in a bad way, very muddy. I think from now on I will attempt to increase the volume with white or combo of white and red. Leave pink alone.

Jim

What I am doing is to keep the white volume allways at about 70% and "forget" it there.

I only use pink volume to set volumes between idividual patches so they are at about same level.

Red volume is global master volume. You can use it to set your device's overall volume. If you turn it too high it can (or will) cause your mixer's or amp's or pa's input clipping and this is not a nice sound !

Edit:

White (guitar) volume is FH's guitar input's volume so it does influence how your patches amp and fx models behave, just like in a real world.

Red volume adjusts FH's output volume so it doesn't colour the sound.

Pink is amp models channel volume (preamp level?).

It would be nice to know what's the FH's initial guitarvolume (white) setting (i.e. right after factory reset).

we need a Line 6 pro to set us straight.  The white being the guitar input, which would seriously affect the input stage of the pedal chain, makes some sense.  A couple weeks ago, we were listening to a couple songs we thought about adding to our sets.  I was playing them through bluetooth and messing around with the chords.  I turned the white ring down, to quiet my guitar to the track.  All night I couldn't quite figure out why my guitar was lacking the punch I normally had.  I changed cables, battery and ended up cranking up the drive on the amp model.

Maybe I'm crazy, but next practice I'm going to crank up the white ring and see what happens.  If this is true, that would solve several problems I'm having with patch levels and punch.

we need a Line 6 pro to set us straight.  The white being the guitar input, which would seriously affect the input stage of the pedal chain, makes some sense.  A couple weeks ago, we were listening to a couple songs we thought about adding to our sets.  I was playing them through bluetooth and messing around with the chords.  I turned the white ring down, to quiet my guitar to the track.  All night I couldn't quite figure out why my guitar was lacking the punch I normally had.  I changed cables, battery and ended up cranking up the drive on the amp model.

Maybe I'm crazy, but next practice I'm going to crank up the white ring and see what happens.  If this is true, that would solve several problems I'm having with patch levels and punch.

This was excatly what happened also to me.

Problem solved with turning guitar volume up.

To all of you FH friends: Hasta La Vista! I just put my 5-month old FHFX on the Reverb.com listing! My good old Fender HRD sounded so much better with my old M9 set up in a little a/b test I did today. It blew the FH away for power, grit, tone the works. I got tired of people telling me my live tone was muddy or weak since I started using the FH! So, if anyone knows anyone interested in buy a slightly used FH, go to reverb.com and check out. Perhaps with a different output device, someone wil enjoy it as much as you all do! I will miss that remote app! But, no more volume issues for me!

Jim

To all of you FH friends: Hasta La Vista! I just put my 5-month old FHFX on the Reverb.com listing! My good old Fender HRD sounded so much better with my old M9 set up in a little a/b test I did today. It blew the FH away for power, grit, tone the works. I got tired of people telling me my live tone was muddy or weak since I started using the FH! So, if anyone knows anyone interested in buy a slightly used FH, go to reverb.com and check out. Perhaps with a different output device, someone wil enjoy it as much as you all do! I will miss that remote app! But, no more volume issues for me!

Jim

I'm sure it will sell quick.  Good luck to you with that.  You might look into this, but your sound probably isn't what you want because you are using patches from the cloud.  I couldn't get any of the downloaded patches to sound good, except for the STP Solo one, that was good.  I created my own patches based off guitar rigs from pros.  After I did up a couple of my own patches, my bass player told me "finally, your guitar doesn't sound like a $10 guitar anymore".  

Just a thought for you, I was where you are at, I know the feeling.

• Upvote 1

Yeah same here, it's always better creating your own from scratch, I don't know why you're having volume issues, I find the firehawk fairly easy to get good tones out of compared to other stuff I've tried and as I've said before I have a few patches that are dialled in perfect for me and they really hit the sweet spot.

But good luck to you

Thanks guys, but all of my patches were self created and a few that I used as is on the FH that I tweaked. The volume thing was strange! I thought I had it under control at the last gig but people were saying the volume rolled on and off in waves! Going back to being a tube geek with 2 or 3 trusty pedals! Thanks and enjoy!!

Jim

• 1 year later...

Can anyone else chime in on this? I am trying to determine how the guitar volume slider relates into standard live playing with the amp? It definitely does something beyond balancing guitar and mp3 playback during jamming.....

Should I increase this to 100 percent while playing live to get the most headroom or signal?