Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Audio phasing when the output is mono (1 cable to 1/4 jack)

scias23

My patches are stereo internally because of the delay and reverb after the amp and mixer. When listening to the recorded tone over usb, it sounds right. But when I plug the pod directly to PA via 1/4 inch jack to DI box, the tone sounds out of phase.

I plug the pod to a DI box because I know that the 1/4 inch output sums up the left and right output.

How can I correct the out of phase output?

The only exception to Shredjsx's comment might be the usage of a very well made Stereo D.I., such as the Radial Pro D2, but I can't seem to find a reason to use one as the 500X essentially has 2 D.I.'s in the form of the XLR out's.  

If you have your routing setup appropriately, you should have independent signals going to each of these Balanced and unbalanced outputs.

Your balanced outputs should be usable as D.I.'s, and your unbalanced should allow you to either go to the front end of a guitar amplifier, or insert to the return of that amplifier's effects loop, i.e.; amp on one side of the stage receiving output A from the 500X, and the amp on the other side of the stage receiving output B from the 500X.

The only exception to Shredjsx's comment might be the usage of a very well made Stereo D.I., such as the Radial Pro D2, but I can't seem to find a reason to use one as the 500X essentially has 2 D.I.'s in the form of the XLR out's.  

If you have your routing setup appropriately, you should have independent signals going to each of these Balanced and unbalanced outputs.

Your balanced outputs should be usable as D.I.'s, and your unbalanced should allow you to either go to the front end of a guitar amplifier, or insert to the return of that amplifier's effects loop, i.e.; amp on one side of the stage receiving output A from the 500X, and the amp on the other side of the stage receiving output B from the 500X.

Agree one hundred percent....

In the music world one plus one still equals one...

In the real world one plus one equals why I don't have an American made Gibson Les Paul....

Bear in mind if you're going through a house PA system or one not under your control, a large portion of these systems don't use stereo panning on their channels.  The thought process is that it won't appear as actual stereo to most of the people depending on their physical location in the room.  Therefore they leave all channels panned to center.  I suppose there's some logic to this from a soundman's perspective, but you may have to ask for panning, and you may have to argue with them to do it...

Just fair warning...

Each normal intrument/voice channel on a PA is mono by definition.  Some mixers do have stereo audio channels which take 2 1/4 inputs on that channel.  I suppose that could work if that channel could also be routed to the monitors so you can hear your guitar, but that varies with the mixer.

Personally I don't worry about stereo in live situations because generally the audience can't tell or would even probably notice.  Most of the audience isn't perfectly positioned between the speakers to really hear it correctly, and given the acoustics and general ambient noise in most live venues it's not worth the effort.

I had a similar problem not too long ago when using headphones through an adapter. 

Some patches were normal, and some sounded like lollipop. 

It had to do with the amount of stereo split. The more left/right a patch was, the more normal it sounded. But patches that were centered, phased. 

My connection was not 100% properly re-installed. It was being played mono, which is why 100% L/R patches sounded fine. 

I really use my patches as mono in live situation. When I playback the recorded audio from the live performance, the guitar is really out of phase. I just want a nice in phase mono guitar sound coming out of the pod.

So panning the mixer away from the center might solve this problem?

What else are you connecting your POD to that there is phasing happening with?

I have some stereo patches to fill space as the only guitarist, but I just give the sound guy both of my XLR outs on the POD and suggest that each signal be treated as a separate guitar. Nobody has ever mentioned that it sounded strange out front, and I do run my own left/right monitors on stage. If what you're hearing is actually phasing, there might be something weird in the panning on the patch to cause that in a mono signal.

You could always build your live patches with everything panned center. Then both outputs should be sending the same signal.