Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

89f mags have been slowly getting noisier.

As it says. Lately been getting more and more electrical noise through the mags.

I figure it needs better shielding but with all that extra stuff in there I want to be sure that I don't mess something up. Any tips as to what to watch out for?

I haven't come across a variax with that issue yet, and if it's happened recently, I don't think the shielding would be the heart of the issue

Is there any difference in the noise when you touch the strings or the pots?  Sometimes a guitar's bridge ground wires loses its connection (maybe corrosion from sweat or just getting worked by the floyd).  Check the wire that is soldered, or connected to the trem spring claw.

If thats not the case, then shielding may help, it can't hurt, and its easy to do yourself.  If you do it, just be mindful of anything that would touch the shielding and ground itself out. Grab some shrink wrap tubing (or electrical tape works too) and cover exposed wires or contacts that might touch your shielding.

I haven't come across a variax with that issue yet, and if it's happened recently, I don't think the shielding would be the heart of the issue

Is there any difference in the noise when you touch the strings or the pots?  Sometimes a guitar's bridge ground wires loses its connection (maybe corrosion from sweat or just getting worked by the floyd).  Check the wire that is soldered, or connected to the trem spring claw.

If thats not the case, then shielding may help, it can't hurt, and its easy to do yourself.  If you do it, just be mindful of anything that would touch the shielding and ground itself out. Grab some shrink wrap tubing (or electrical tape works too) and cover exposed wires or contacts that might touch your shielding.

Touching the strings has no effect. It wasn't really all of a sudden, been kinda growing over time. I will probably go in and upgrade the shielding. Just wanted to be aware of ant gotchas.

Log a ticket in the Line 6 ticketing system in your account.

Make sure your product is registered. Needs to be troubleshooted

further by an authorized service tech.

Thanks for that. Maybe, butI was more in the mind to avoid such thing. I could send back to Sweetwater as well but just seems to be a PIA.