Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

amp+cab and "post" fx

tommasi

I'm almost embarrassed asking this, after being a Line6 user since the original pod.

The question is simple: say you have a chorus (or even a spring reverb) fx. Normally that goes after the preamp, but before the cabinet/mic in a standard amp setting. I've always put those after an amp+cab block, in any pod, but it just dawned on me that a more "canonical" approach would be using:

amp (no cab) -> fx -> cab

instead of

amp+cab -> fx ?

I will experiment with this as soon as I can.

Keep in mind that all stereo fx before the cab will "collapse" to mono since the cab blocks are mono.

I think it all depends on the sound you are looking for. You could have some fx between the amp and cab and then add some fx after the cab like the post processing you would do in a daw for example.

Indeed experimenting with that is the best way to go. I personally like my time based fx after the cab most of the time.

Keep in mind that all stereo fx before the cab will "collapse" to mono since the cab blocks are mono.

Very good point! Is there any way to apply a cabinet to a stereo signal without mixing down to mono? It will also suck up quite a bit of DSP power to have stereo cabs.

I believe the dual cab option is stereo.  And the Helix manual on page 19 really doesn't specify cabs so much as amps and preamps collapsing to mono.  You need to look for the stereo icon (dual interlocking rings)

Keep the following things in mind when building tones:

• All Amp+Cab, Amp, and Preamp blocks are mono, so any stereo signal sent into these will be collapsed to mono. As such, it’s a good idea to add only mono blocks before amps and preamps
• Adding a mono effects block will collapse any preceding stereo blocks on the same path to mono
• If you’re only ever connecting Helix to the front of a single guitar amp or PA/FRFR speaker, there may be no need to use stereo models at all (except, of course, for models that are only offered as stereo!)

Ah yeah, indeed. Dual cab was what I was looking for (didn't have the helix handy when the doubt stroke, and THERE IS NO SOFTWARE EDITOR...). I "converted" my patches splitting amp+cab into amp first, and dual cab much later, after stereo fx, each cab configured the same.

I can't say that the difference is very noticeable, but I had a couple spare blocks in the bottom path, and the dual cab was accommodated easily, and I have now more options!

I believe the dual cab option is stereo.  And the Helix manual on page 19 really doesn't specify cabs so much as amps and preamps collapsing to mono.  You need to look for the stereo icon (dual interlocking rings)

Keep the following things in mind when building tones:

• All Amp+Cab, Amp, and Preamp blocks are mono, so any stereo signal sent into these will be collapsed to mono. As such, it’s a good idea to add only mono blocks before amps and preamps

• Adding a mono effects block will collapse any preceding stereo blocks on the same path to mono

• If you’re only ever connecting Helix to the front of a single guitar amp or PA/FRFR speaker, there may be no need to use stereo models at all (except, of course, for models that are only offered as stereo!)

Thanks Radatats!  That's going in my OneNote file of useful Helix tips.

• Upvote 1