Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Created Ultimate Fender John Mayer Clean (Files including custom IRs)

JazzInc

I am still really happy with my Helix after two months! After a LOT of playing and testing, this is my ultimate Fender Clean. Very balanced and clear.

Even one of my critical friends, a session player who didn't like my axe-fx 2, was very impressed with my setup.

I use a Fender Strat with Don Mare Super Sport pickups into the Helix, which is amplified by the best FRFR i've ever owned, the very flat and transparent Atomic CLR Wedge.

INSTRUCTIONS:

-Download the patch and the two custom IRs. (right-click and save as on the links)

-Upload the IRs to slots 33 and 35 (check the names).

-Upload the preset file.

-Play!!

-Let me know what you think!

PS: It's quite a bit louder than the factory presets, so adjust your volume accordingly

Tone:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21fnac3r5xa61hf/John%20Mayer.hlx?dl=0

IRs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7n9bp9poyfgihnc/CustomIRJoost33.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ns96xg8nkgxtm27/CustomIRJoost35.wav?dl=0

For fun, try these links:

CustomIRJoost33.wav

CustomIRJoost35.wav

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What I'd like to hear is some John Mayer tones based on his Dead & Company rig! His playing and performance level has been drastically elevated this year, these shows are better than the FTW stuff with Trey and Bruce. That's quite frankly some seriously groovy mojo he's got going with the new PRS!

1035x691-dead_&_company_msg_20151031_173

• Upvote 1

Incidentally, thanks!! My Helix literally just arrived today, Fed Ex delivered it to my office. I haven't even opened it yet :)

Once I get up and running will give your patch a run through, thanks for the detailed info on how to make it happen with the IR loading!

You're welcome. I really want to hear what you think, compared to the factory presets

JazzInc, thanks for the very nice and interesting patch. After giving it a listen, I noticed some interesting ideas in the patch that I thought might be useful to write down. I started just capturing these in my own notes (Evernote) but then decided to share at Analyzing JazzInc's SRV Little Wing Patch. I hope you don't mind. Feel free to correct anything I got wrong or missed. And again, thanks for your great contributions.

• Upvote 1

I am still really happy with my Helix after two months! After a LOT of playing and testing, this is my ultimate Fender Clean. Very balanced and clear.

Even one of my critical friends, a session player who didn't like my axe-fx 2, was very impressed with my setup.

I use a Fender Strat with Don Mare Super Sport pickups into the Helix, which is amplified by the best FRFR i've ever owned, the very flat and transparent Atomic CLR Wedge.

INSTRUCTIONS:

-Download the patch and the two custom IRs. (right-click and save as on the links)

-Upload the IRs to slots 33 and 35 (check the names).

-Upload the preset file.

-Play!!

-Let me know what you think!

PS: It's quite a bit louder than the factory presets, so adjust your volume accordingly

http://www.familieassink.com/documents/JohnMayerClean.hlx

http://www.familieassink.com/documents/CustomIRJoost33.wav

http://www.familieassink.com/documents/CustomIRJoost35.wav

Cool, I'm getting ready to give this a shot.  I'll post back with my results.

Incidentally, thanks!! My Helix literally just arrived today, Fed Ex delivered it to my office. I haven't even opened it yet :)

Once I get up and running will give your patch a run through, thanks for the detailed info on how to make it happen with the IR loading!

Awesome!!  I've been anxiously waiting for you to get your Helix.  Now I'll be standing by to see what crazy routing schemes you dream up, especially with DT amp integration.

• Upvote 1

JazzInc, thanks for the very nice and interesting patch. After giving it a listen, I noticed some interesting ideas in the patch that I thought might be useful to write down. I started just capturing these in my own notes (Evernote) but then decided to share at Analyzing JazzInc's SRV Little Wing Patch. I hope you don't mind. Feel free to correct anything I got wrong or missed. And again, thanks for your great contributions.

Wow, Jim, you honour me greatly by taking the time for your analysis. After reading your blog, you just about nailed my thoughts. You almost nailed all the IR recipes as well. Here are some more thoughts behind the tone:

-There is also a mid boost, which simulates the mid-cap bypasses you see on such amps. Can be handy for cutting through a dense mix.

-The 35 impulse response adds some room sound and indeed is a little brighter on the darker amp

-The LA2As just add a little something even when they're not compressing, and they do take the edge off. Same goes for the tube preamp. Basically, I do what I would to in the studio: get some great speakers, great mics, a good preamp and a good compressor to capture the sound of the chain before it. I also really like the Emphasis control on the LA2A to tweak response. (same goes for the power amp characteristics on both amps to tweak feel and response.)

-The double amp setup gives a lot of options. For instance, the treble on the Twin is a bit too much for me, so I like to tone that down and bring in the thicker, sweeter treble on the DeLuxe. Vice Versa for the Presence. For different applications these two amps can also be used to their strengths together.

-I really feel you need very good IRs to get the best out of the Helix

JazzInc, Nice patch. Amsdenj, nice blog post.  Was a good read while having a slow day at work.

Had the Helix from the initial Sweetwater shipment a couple months ago.  Loving the patches we have gotten just in the past week.  Getting some quality patches off the CustomTone site and Forum.  I am a worship player and found the Helix to mix in nicely with my acoustic work and electric.  I was an Axe user up to a couple months ago.  Not getting into a comparison, but do enjoy the editing on the Helix board itself.  Really want the editor, but Line 6 did setup the editing very well on the board.  I do feel what has helped Fractal is the forum and quality of help.  Hope this board continues to grow in the same way.  Good stuff.

• Upvote 1

By the way, for people wondering what the return one and two are for, this is something I really highly recommended. I bought a Bluetooth receiver and plugged it into the return 1 and 2, so now I can play backing tracks or use the amazing slowdowner to write out fast solos, or just learn new songs for the band

And if you want a little more hair on your clean tone, just reset the power amp settings to their default on both amps

The way it sounds now through my atomic clr, it's very close to my two rock clean channel

Amazing Slowdowner from Roni Music is an iOS and Mac OS X app that's been around for a very long time. There's a Windows version too. It lets you slow down or speed up almost any kind of audio file without changing the pitch. You can also change the pitch up and down if the track isn't in tune with your guitar. You can set start and end points for looping making it easier to learn phrases.

IRs are stored wherever you put them. However, they are not exported in index order. As a result, after you do a Helix factory reset, and loose all the IRs, you have to import them all back in in the same order or your patches will have the wrong IR index. This is because the patch Impulse Responce block only stores the IR index, not a location independent link to the IR (like the IR name).

You can load the IRs above into any index position, then go edit the patch to change the IR block to the block number where you imported them. This will be correct for your system until you have to reload and possibly reorder all you IR blocks again.

• 2 months later...

This tone is great!  Thank you JazzInc!  I am curious, is it possible to get this tone without using so many blocks?  I need to add more effects to this patch but don't have the DSP and routing space.  I absolutely love the John Mayer / Two Rock clean tone and have been using your tricks / settings to get close, but can't get as sweet of a tone as your exact patch.  Does it really take blending the 2 amps (twin & deluxe reverb) to get there?  Apparently so, but thought I would ask.  I will keep trying.  Thanks again for the great patch and insight.

This tone is great!  Thank you JazzInc!  I am curious, is it possible to get this tone without using so many blocks?  I need to add more effects to this patch but don't have the DSP and routing space.  I absolutely love the John Mayer / Two Rock clean tone and have been using your tricks / settings to get close, but can't get as sweet of a tone as your exact patch.  Does it really take blending the 2 amps (twin & deluxe reverb) to get there?  Apparently so, but thought I would ask.  I will keep trying.  Thanks again for the great patch and insight.

Thanks man. I don't get the exact tone without this many blocks, but close. Try to experiment.

Amazing Slowdowner from Roni Music is an iOS and Mac OS X app that's been around for a very long time. There's a Windows version too. It lets you slow down or speed up almost any kind of audio file without changing the pitch. You can also change the pitch up and down if the track isn't in tune with your guitar. You can set start and end points for looping making it easier to learn phrases.

Along these lines, for those of you who learn tunes off of YouTube, you may or may not be aware there is a half and even a quarter speed setting available under the settings icon.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

HI JazzInc,

when I'm downloading the patch, there is only a "hlx.txt" extension, that I can't use for the helix. What am I doing wrong?

Yes, there is this weird thing with some computers that they add the TXT extension. Just remove that extension and you're fine.

Yes, there is this weird thing with some computers that they add the TXT extension. Just remove that extension and you're fine.

Or the thing that it's not allowed to attach *.hlx files in this forum, so you need to be clever.

EDIT: in this case not...

• 3 months later...

Hi there, 

being a big fan of the two rock cleans I'd love to check your preset but the website of the link above seems to be unavailable at the moment. Is there a chance you could fix that, JazzInc?

Or could maybe somebody load the preset up again somewhere else?

Since I found your other thread with a two rock-like clean preset your Homepage seems to be quite interesting for further inspiriation though ;)

Thanks and best regards!

• 1 month later...

Could you guys try these links? Here are all my presets. Mostly from a few months ago:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/36xnp4wy9idzwmm/AAAO7I2pXLvgBt2sYSmU4-WXa?dl=0

Here are all my (custom) IRs to try. Many subtle variations to dial in a tone:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ux91lvwin6yaj2/AAA71Y4yLDqtj7L-ByPGdFDfa?dl=0

Try the SRV and Fender Twin tones for the Mayer cleans

Hi there, 

being a big fan of the two rock cleans I'd love to check your preset but the website of the link above seems to be unavailable at the moment. Is there a chance you could fix that, JazzInc?

Or could maybe somebody load the preset up again somewhere else?

Since I found your other thread with a two rock-like clean preset your Homepage seems to be quite interesting for further inspiriation though ;)

Thanks and best regards!

Sounds very interesting to me as well. The download says "temporary unavailable". I'll keep checking back, would love to try to patch! Thanks for posting.

Hi there,

no way downloading the patch. Is there someone so kind to send it to me by email?

matteozucchi88@gmail.com

thanks

If anyone has the hlx file, I'd love a copy too. It appears that the website is down. I can grab the wav files that are attached, but the hlx file isn't.

cjw5281 at yahoo dot com if anyone has it. Thanks.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Could you guys try these links? Here are all my presets. Mostly from a few months ago:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/36xnp4wy9idzwmm/AAAO7I2pXLvgBt2sYSmU4-WXa?dl=0

Here are all my (custom) IRs to try. Many subtle variations to dial in a tone:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ux91lvwin6yaj2/AAA71Y4yLDqtj7L-ByPGdFDfa?dl=0

Try the SRV and Fender Twin tones for the Mayer cleans

Joost,

Are the IR Select indexes in the IR blocks in the patches linked to the IRs in the folder sorted in alphabetical order and indexed at 1? Want to make sure I'm using the correct IR for the patch.

I'm sorry. It's been so long I don't remember. Let me make a screen shot of my slots later

Joost,

Are the IR Select indexes in the IR blocks in the patches linked to the IRs in the folder sorted in alphabetical order and indexed at 1? Want to make sure I'm using the correct IR for the patch.