Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Logic

fukuri

Is there a known clock issue using this with OSX?

Logic sees the interface but loses clock after a couple of minutes (at least I assume that's what is making the audio all jittery and daleky)

Does anyone use this with Logic with no issues?

...eggs...teeer...mi..naaaate!

... On a more serious note, are you on El Capitan by chance? There are a couple of threads about issues related to El Capitan that seem to be OSX-related, not Helix-related.

http://line6.com/support/topic/16987-helix-suck-at-audio-playback/?hl=capitan&do=findComment&comment=125252

http://line6.com/support/topic/17031-helix-usb-interface-with-cubase-on-mac-osx-el-capitan-1011/?hl=capitan

Hi all I have had the helix for a few months and I have been recording with it and logic X I also have stayed with Maverick as it is very stable I have had a problem with the usb lagging but I just turn off the helix and restart it and all is good however the tone has been awesome hope this helps

I'm using all the default settings

No plug ins and a i7 MacBook Pro

It's not a resource issue it sounds like wordclock drift

I'm not sure what it used as a master or how it syncs up (I find macs very oblique when it comes to this kind of stuff)

One thing I should try is a decent usb cable

To be fair I used the one from the focus rite interface that was already there

I got round the whole issue by just plugging the outputs into the focus rite. I wonder what I'm missing then

I'll try a higher spec cable

I'm using all the default settings

No plug ins and a i7 MacBook Pro

It's not a resource issue it sounds like wordclock drift

I'm not sure what it used as a master or how it syncs up (I find macs very oblique when it comes to this kind of stuff)

One thing I should try is a decent usb cable

To be fair I used the one from the focus rite interface that was already there

I got round the whole issue by just plugging the outputs into the focus rite. I wonder what I'm missing then

I'll try a higher spec cable

If the cable upgrade doesn't do the trick, please open up a ticket with customer support. We can try and help you resolve the issue.  

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

Hi Fukuri

I have exactly the same problem. Initially I was using Yosemite and Logic X and was experiencing the very same problem even if I tried to program a drum track. Im now on El Capitan and the same problem occurs. However, if I use my Motu Traveler interface instead of the Helix everything works as it always has with this AI so there is definitely a conflict between Helix and Logic to my mind.

The answer in my case is to run out of the Helix into the Motu but this is a workaround and I didn't buy the Helix for it to be used in such a way.

On the occasions (minutes) where the Helix runs properly I have to say that the guitar sound is simply amazing...probably akin to the best i've ever achieved!

Come on Line 6...get this sorted....I know of 2 studio owners that have bought the Kempler for this reason, their reasoning being if this is wrong then there's probably more problems to follow. 

Support reply it's a possible issue with sample lock in Logic but can I try on another computer to make sure it is a Helix issue

I don't have anything else available just now. however every other audio interface works fine so I don't think this is solely an Apple issue

I get the same problem running Helix into S-Gear standalone through USB. So it's not Logic Pro X.

I did some more experimenting:

1. Helix connected to Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro version 10.11.2 through USB
  2. System sound output device set to Helix Audio, System sound input device set to Helix Audio
  3. Playing back music with VLC (or iTunes) to Helix and through my FRFR amp
  4. Music playback is fine, left it running for a long time, no issues, static, noise, etc. But note, Not playing any guitar and Helix is not attempting to provide any input into any Mac OS S amp.
  5. Start S-Gear standalone app with S-Gear preferences Audio Device set Helix Audio (input and output)
  6. Start with S-Gear Buffer Size set to 128 (9.6ms) - note for most other interfaces I have this set to 32 on this computer for 5.6ms latency
  7. Play along with VLC - no problem initially, then a few clicks and pops, then finally audio gets very fuzzy with digital distortion
  8. Increase S-Gear buffer size, audio cleans up, for a while, and then start getting bad again
  9. Increase S-Gear buffer size again, same result. Eventually buffer size is maxed at 1024 and there's no way to get rid of the digital distortion

It appears there is a timing issue with Helix when it is used for input and output at the same time. And how long it takes to reach the digital distortion seems to depend on how big the buffer size and latency are. This would appear to be a timing drift related to buffer size.

If Helix is used for output playback only, there doesn't seem to be any problem. Its only when an app uses Helix as input and output that there's a problem.

As  I reported in another thread, exact same problem with Cubase/Helix/ElCapitan.

The only workaround almost working but not satisfactory is to push the buffer size to the max 2048.

It's VERY annoying... 

I also use this solution but it is not satisfactory. 

The real solution is Line 6 which should provide it.

I have trouble getting them to acknowledge its actually a problem

File a ticket I keep hearing

At least my last bug in the hanging unit while hands free editing has been verified and accepted

I feel like I'm doing a lot of the legwork here

At least back in the 01Xray days Yamaha took me seriously !

• 3 weeks later...