Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD® HD500xEDit - Suggestions for GUI

Smashcraaft

I would like to gather suggestions for the GUI of the editor. I like the surface to be cleaned up and not to keep it semi-realistic.

Very disturbing are f.e. the dark and rich colors of the input fields. You can see the values ​​partially barely because a black typo is not first choice on every background, especially on high-res devices where fonts are very small. So why not get back to a much clearer grayscale GUI (like the attached hd 300 edit).

Somehow there should be more focus and clarity to what you're doing.

Less seems to be much more on a working-GUI.

Also I would like to see original values ​​would be marked to retrieve them (and shortcuts for retrieve and zero/neutral values).

Best would be a before / after comparison of settings for tone experiments (if there is not already the (I'm new here)).

Please excuse my miserable English.

post-2321913-0-91474400-1451552670_thumb.jpeg

post-2321913-0-40113300-1451552696_thumb.png

I say they redo everything and model it after the original Fallout games. At least then people might have nostalgic, or even fond, memories when they work with HD Edit.

Great suggestions about a more modern interface, but please, please leave out the touch controls. Or have a different version to be used on a surface tablet. And make things scalable.

But I think at this point, these things are just wishes. They still haven't fixed the bug introduced with last firmware update that hides the value of the DEPs.

• Upvote 1

To make things scalable (somehow like modern responsive web design which displays information in relation to the device used) and get rid of to much color should be the first steps.

And of cause the order of the FXs listed into the FX list page should reflect exactly their order in the chain!

Scalable would be nice !!

As long as we are wishing and not complaining.... 

Not only would I do the resize thing, but I would also make it "snap" --- or whatever they actually call it. When you can drag it to the side and make it into a split screen.

And with the resizing, I wouldn't just 'keep aspect ration', I would want to pull it down to make it longer so that I can access patch 16d at the same time as 1a. 

I do understand the need to color-code effects but for me it would be much clearer to reduce the coded area as a 100 pixel width background under the on/off button and make input fields flat and clear. Effects would not have to be color-coded if they are sorted as placed in the fx-path.

First time I used the editor I was not even able to find the X to delete an effect :/

To design the GUI much more flat would be a great improvement, especially on very high resolution screens.

But that is only my opinion working often on GUIs as a web designer.

I'm sure you understand that my suggestions are nothing more than that. I am not able to program an alternative. But if there would be an "official" interest from Line 6 I could scribble a draft for a better GUI based on wishes of the community.

Today I found the need for another feature request, using the editor for two days now: The output-volume of the Mixer could be linked for both channels (f.e. holding the shift key) so you don't have to change channels volume twice. This is very exhausting, especially because of there is not tab-option to switch focus of the cursor to next input field.

currently seems that all L6 team techs efforts are dedicated to Helix issues which perhaps are quantitatively more than expected before its release, and also to the perfect tuning of the rack version which still has to be released.

I did not notice until today they have already dropped the price of the rack version by $100.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-helix-multi-effects-guitar-rack/j23116

the color scheme fx wise was used before the software was made. I still have the big purple L6 FM4 (which is why the filter effects were colored purple) that the filter effects came from. The green DL4 pedal for all the delays I think is the only one still in production..

I understand this has nothing really to do with your argument about a better user interface, I just thought I'd point that out because it seems like you have no idea why they were colored this way.

either way, you do have some really good ideas and I hope that someday they'd wise up and give the HD edit software some much needed reworking

Yeah we can only hope that they'll give the HD series more love now that the HX is out in all its incomplete glory. It would be nice and it would show the L6 customer that they are listening.

I'm really sure that the Helix won't sell that much as the HD500/500x because it seems to be more specific for professional studio environment. The HD-Series seems to be a real bestseller for me (some kind of bread and butter-device) which lets me guess that this product runs cash into L6s pocket. So I'm optimistic about the further success and development of the device and its software.

A big question for me is why there are several editors for similar devices, which seems to have different GUI and program-codes? If I would be CTO of Line 6 I would build the Editor as a default core for all similarly devices with several device-specific plugins as modules. That could keep development flat and gives the ability to offer some other add ons f.e. like skins.

I really do hope, that the editor as it is released until now is not their last offer. That could be done much better on a modular layer and a responsive screen-design.

By the way: Users of other gear seem to have frustrations, too.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/gt-100-visualizing-the-signal-path.1456168/

But I do like the flat design and the possibility to have an editable overall-view within a scrollable area. And it seems to me, that there is a alternative open source app for this device, which lets me hope, that L6 makes the code of our editor open source if they don't see no need for development anymore so that some day a cool guy could do its job for further use.

Argh! My English is so poor, I really do hope you are able to understand :(

Best Regards, Sascha

A big question for me is why there are several editors for similar devices, which seems to have different GUI and program-codes? 

This issue has been around long before Yamaha took over, but Yamaha is very known for trying to keep their information proprietary. Which is one of the reasons why they get along so well with Apple, who also likes to keep strict control over their systems.