Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Models you wish they would add...

RandyBrooks

I've had my Helix for a short while and am loving the sound! But I find myself missing a few of the effect models from my old HD 500. Anybody else feel this way? So, I thought I'd ask; what models do you wish they would add in upcoming fimware updates (hopefully they look over these things)? I'm wishing they would put the boost/comp back; I'm just not getting the push out of the teletronix....and I wish they would put the Memory Man analog mod/delay on that they had on the hd500....the Line 6 version sounds like a flanger to me. So, if the DID look at these forums, and you COULD tell them what you wanted.....what would it be?

• Upvote 2

I feel the same about some effects. Line 6 does look at and use their Ideascale website to help tell them what to focus on for further development. Have a gander over there for an idea of what might be coming next for Helix.

Here's what I'd like to see from the HD:

Panner: I know this can be accomplished in Helix with one of the tremolos, but in order to get a slow enough speed, the bpm would have to set really low.

All of the filters except tron-up and tron-down, which already exist in Helix.

Bass Octaver

Auto-Volume

More, not necessarily from the HD:

Phasers!

• Upvote 1

All the HD or M13 effects. Why to get less than all? It is a high end device, it should have more than it's predecessor! 

I think you're on to something. You just reminded me that I had the same thought in the past, that their flagship guitar processor should at least be able to accomplish everything that the lower models can.

I don't know what's involved in porting over HD stuff to Helix, but it's gotta be easier than modeling or creating an effect from scratch.

• Upvote 4

I feel the same about some effects. Line 6 does look at and use their Ideascale website to help tell them what to focus on for further development. Have a gander over there for an idea of what might be coming next for Helix.

Panner: I know this can be accomplished in Helix with one of the tremolos, but in order to get a slow enough speed, the bpm would have to set really low.

Bass Octaver

Auto-Volume

Phasers!

Waiting on my approval on the ideascale site....didn't even know it existed! And great points that everyone else made about the M-series and HD effects!

The overdrive selection is somewhat limited. I'd like to see a Timmy added. With the quality of the amps and ability to assign parameters to a FS, you really don't need overdrives like you might in a traditional rig, but they are still fun. Other than that, I'd like to see them continue to expand the amp selection. I'd like a Dumble or Fuchs. The current line of amps are wonderful. This is unlike most units I've owned where I could only find a couple of amps that I liked. I am actually using 12 of the amps right now. I could easily be using another 4 or 5, butI just haven't taken the time to dial up the patches. 

• Upvote 1

The only thing that's really killing me right now is a lack of phase shifters.

You guys will laugh but I really was bonding with my HD's old Black Panel Pete and VariAC Plexi until the Helix came out.  I realize that there's absolutely zero way that they will put old POD 2.0 models into their $1500 flagship but I wish there was a way to go get some of the legacy models for use in newer platforms.  Still pining for Chemical X!

• Upvote 1

The only thing that's really killing me right now is a lack of phase shifters.

You guys will laugh but I really was bonding with my HD's old Black Panel Pete and VariAC Plexi until the Helix came out.  I realize that there's absolutely zero way that they will put old POD 2.0 models into their $1500 flagship but I wish there was a way to go get some of the legacy models for use in newer platforms.  Still pining for Chemical X!

I think it'd be cool to put some HD amps or older pod amps into the Helix. If you pair those up with an IR or a Helix cab, you could end up with some good stuff. I'm sure most HX amp models would still blow them away, but if the older code would work, why not. 

• Upvote 1

I think it'd be cool to put some HD amps or older pod amps into the Helix. If you pair those up with an IR or a Helix cab, you could end up with some good stuff. I'm sure most HX amp models would still blow them away, but if the older code would work, why not.

Bass Octaver

Auto-Volume

Phasers!

I have mixed feelings about that site. They say they use it as their guidepost, but if you set filter by "in progress" to see what they're ACTUALLY working on, there are a lot of items with the LOWEST amount of votes that are actually in progress. If an idea's been submitted it's "in review" within a couple of weeks, and that's where most of the stuff seems to sit. Don't get me wrong,  I can see the utility in more than a few of those in-progress items, but it seems to me that if you look what's in-review vs in-progress they work on whatever they feel like, or maybe whatever is easy to knock out quick and dirty not what the masses are clamouring for. 

• Upvote 1

I have mixed feelings about that site. They say they use it as their guidepost, but if you set filter by "in progress" to see what they're ACTUALLY working on, there are a lot of items with the LOWEST amount of votes that are actually in progress. If an idea's been submitted it's "in review" within a couple of weeks, and that's where most of the stuff seems to sit. Don't get me wrong,  I can see the utility in more than a few of those in-progress items, but it seems to me that if you look what's in-review vs in-progress they work on whatever they feel like, or maybe whatever is easy to knock out quick and dirty not what the masses are clamouring for. 

I guess all that would assume the in review and in progress indicators are updated with any sort of accuracy to what's actually going on. Maybe they are updated only when the development team accidentally remembers about it. lol.

A tremolo, that doesn't suck up your tone. 
Cool, Cool, to model effects after old specific models, but why isn't there a straight tremolo, that just changes volume without mud or deep umpf at every swell ? I really dont get it... It must be so easy to make... 

Thats lead me to the idea: Everything should be assignable to TapTempo - in this way you could make a tremolo from a Vol-block but you would also have en endless list of new innovative effects, that could lead to all sorts of cool things! 

• Upvote 1

I have mixed feelings about that site. They say they use it as their guidepost, but if you set filter by "in progress" to see what they're ACTUALLY working on, there are a lot of items with the LOWEST amount of votes that are actually in progress. If an idea's been submitted it's "in review" within a couple of weeks, and that's where most of the stuff seems to sit. Don't get me wrong, I can see the utility in more than a few of those in-progress items, but it seems to me that if you look what's in-review vs in-progress they work on whatever they feel like, or maybe whatever is easy to knock out quick and dirty not what the masses are clamouring for. 

It's pretty safe to ignore the whole "In Progress" thing—I think I may be the only one who updates IdeaScale submission states, and will be the first to admit they don't reflect actual development.

Unfortunately, the number of votes a particular idea gets has more to do with when it was submitted than how popular it really is. Regardless, I'd like to think we're pretty good at reading between the lines and pursuing things that our users want, and this requires paying attention to many sources outside of IdeaScale. You're right that "low hanging fruit" features will likely show up faster than those that are difficult or impossible to implement, but that's par for the course. Also keep in mind that no one asked for scribble strips, Pedal Edit mode, or Helix's level of routing, so expect things from out of the blue. If we just went through and checked boxes, Helix would be predictable and boring.

In the end, know that Helix incorporated 165 features culled directly from IdeaScale, so obviously we take it seriously. But the real metrics can't be sussed out by counting votes.

POG2! That's the one I want.

Me too.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

POG2! That's the one I want.

I agree.  But i cant imagine the DSP overhead that the POG2 has.  I think it would eat up a LOT of DSP.  Maybe we could get away with a microPOG in it.

I would really like to see a lot more dist/OD pedals (Tim, Timmy, Plimsoul, Keeley Red Dirt, etc.)  As well as some auto-wah/envelope filter options (Keeley neutrino sticks out in my mind here)

I would also love to see some other boutique amps.  (Victory or Dumble anyone?)  

And maybe bring the FRFR back?  I used that in my acoustic patches on my HD500X.  Maybe its not needed in the helix (ill find out when mine gets here)

EDIT:  Added the part about FRFR

• 2 weeks later...

Now that we have the DC30, as far as boutique stuff goes, sounds like a Dumble OD style amp, and a Two Rock/Steel String Singer type amp would be good additions. I would also not mind having the Mesa Mark 1 in place of the Dumble OD if I had to choose. Personally a Jubilee model would be nice (Bonamassa cravings). An attempt to achieve the S.I.R. Marshall Slash used for AFD.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see a vocoder.  The helix doesn't even have one yet.

This is marketed as the "central nervous system for your studio, or live rig."

So a vocoder, for use in the studio as a wet monitor, without having to go through a DAW pluging (latency) or external hardware (counter to the all in one box of The Helix) it seems like it should be in there, especially since the Helix has some very nice Mic Pre-amps.

As well as more high gain amps like Mesa, and Engl.

and a Bogner XTC as well.

More effects as well. I plan on using it for all sorts of processing in the studio. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind another Orange or two, maybe a TH30 or TH100 (especially since I still own the latter). And how about a Fulldrive 2 MOSFET or Plimsoul?

OMG YES on the Plimsoul!   However...

I'd love to see more distortion boxes, as overdrives seem to be plentiful.  Wampler Triple Wreck Distortion, Suhr Riot, Mesa Throttle Box would all be awesome to see in the Helix.

Trainwreck Express FTW!

Guys, I know there's a lot of amps I'd like in there, but wouldn't you be most interested in some of the greatest sounding amps that you'll NEVER be able to get your hands on (i.e. one of the fewer than 100 Trainwrecks ever made) and NEVER be able to afford (i.e., Dumble Overdrive Special cost more than $50000).  

Case in point - I'd never played and actual ($3000) Klon, but was BLOWN away when I got to play the model on my Helix I was sold.  I bought an ARC FX Klon clone just both double check and to have a quick 'throw in the bag' pedal.  The Helix's "clone" and the ARC clone both sound sooo good that I haven't even bothered to A/B them!

TLDR;  Given the fidelity of Helix's modeling, I want it to provide me with what I otherwise could never have - a Trainwreck.  

• Upvote 1

I might be in the minority, but speaking of stuff you probably will never have...

Anyone miss their chance on an Expandora? They're discontinued, and attracted some attention because Billy Gibbons (?) used them around the Rhythmeem era. Like the Fuzz Factory, playing with knobs nets you weird sounds.

I got a gen 3 Expandora for a steal so that's good, but I'm wondering what the gen 1 (with its discontinued chip) sounds like? Might Line 6 can profile it, maybe someone sell them their gen 1 with a broken footswitch (they used to break so easily) so they can deconstruct and profile the chip? :)

Mesa Mark IV or V, Mesa Triple Rectifier, EVH 5150 III, Diezel VH4, Framus Cobra, an HX version of the Big Bottom amp!.  For effects I really really would like a Dimension chorus.  Also new reverbs, a POG, polyphonic pitch shifter and synth effects.  Oh and a darkglass pedal for bass!

Yes, I love my helix but I was going through all the effects tonight and am disappointed that there are some basic effects missing. It is a multi-effects processor after all. Even garageband has some of this stuff. As their principle device and at $1500 there should be a massive array of types---at least 1 for each of common ones rather than say 5 different compressors. What about an envelope filter and an octaver? 

My Digitech GNX3000 cost ~$700 eight years ago, sounds great, and has more effects. I agree with the others that Line6' leading product should have all of the effects of their lower cost models.