Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Models you wish they would add...

RandyBrooks

Got tired of wait and got a mark v the other day :)

So now I'll just wait and be surprised by what ever line 6 gives us.

Idea scale or what ever it's called is the dumbest thing ever, I need to remember a new ID an extra password like I need a new hole in my head.

Been nice if we had a place to go to voice our ideas with our gd line 6 ID and same fn password.

I think that's why some of us don't use it

• Upvote 1

I agree 100% about the extra username and password b.s.
That whole thing seems redundant when people already say what they would like to have with the products right here on this forum.

Line 6 has a treasure trove of customer feedback on THIS forum already.

Idea scale or what ever it's called is the dumbest thing ever, I need to remember a new ID an extra password like I need a new hole in my head.
Been nice if we had a place to go to voice our ideas with our gd line 6 ID and same fn password.

I think that's why some of us don't use it

Sorry for the rant, I been sick all week and forgot to take my Xanax. After posting that I took a sec and thought why I was upset and remembered I've went 7 days without. Most times I take a half a pill every other day.

So I kinda said something most of us have been thinking.

On the better side I took one, feeling more even now and don't really care in what order line 6 gives us new amps.

In time we should have plenty that we want.

Felt a little better today and played guitar, man the meas boogie mark v is sweet.

if line 6 does the mark 5 they will have a task to match this amp.......I kinda wonder if they can get it?

I wonder if axe fx did an ok copy? Would be an undertaking since the mark 5 can do so many tones.

So line 6.... When you have done the amps everyone wants and y'all get bored, try to copy the mark 5 (challenge).

No more amp models needed. Add/refine the effects types and controls!

+1! Enough with the amps! I realize they are a popular thing, but I never did and never will understand the need for redundant amps. It gets in the way of decision making when making a patch.

• Upvote 2

"Mutant Filter" and "Simple Pitch"?

The Mutant Filter is an auto-wah. And the new Auto Filter seems to be the Mutant Filter that's easier to tweak with more parameters exposed.

I think when DrFishhead mentioned an envelope filter, what might have been meant is an Auto Everything. This would really open Helix up to do so much more than it can right now. I hope it's at least in Line 6's top ten list of priorities.

This!

I completely agree. I have already posted one on the idea scale.  A few months ago.

Maybe not the Boss one in particular, but a high quality vocoder period would be welcomed.  The Helix doesn't even have one yet.  

It is that reason why I think it should be at the top of their list.   Most other recommendations/requests involve just adding flavors to options already available. Such as new amps, more distortions, more phasers, more reverbs etc.  I feel that a vocoder would truly add something to the Helix that it really doesn't have yet.

• Upvote 1

+1! Enough with the amps! I realize they are a popular thing, but I never did and never will understand the need for redundant amps. It gets in the way of decision making when making a patch.

I sort of agree with you. At least I do when it comes to high gain amps as the differences between them are pretty subtle to me. Low and medium gain amps differ a lot more - to me.

I strongly disagree. I remember getting emails from line 6 before release date, I watched vids before release date and what they both had in common was the brand new line 6 Helix was going to be the best new product out.

We could get rid of all our other gear and just use this. It was also brought up that the helix had the same dsp power as the fractal axe fx.

Was strongly hinted that we would see updates just like other brands that cost way more.....

Never once did I see marketing say.......The New Line 6 Helix perfect for when you settle for less than the best.

Everyone of us has a favorite amp, and we would like to play that amp on our $1500 helix. We all don't like the same amps.

Some of us sold gear to help with purchase of our helix (I sold some of my pedals) others sold tube amps they loved....now they just want to be able to play what they had on the helix....or even amps they can not afford to buy.

I just hope line 6 doesn't see comments like yours and decide they have given us all we need.

PS. Just to stop a joke before it's said, I took my Xanax today and I feel pretty good mentality.

I strongly disagree. I remember getting emails from line 6 before release date, I watched vids before release date and what they both had in common was the brand new line 6 Helix was going to be the best new product out.

We could get rid of all our other gear and just use this. It was also brought up that the helix had the same dsp power as the fractal axe fx.

Was strongly hinted that we would see updates just like other brands that cost way more.....

Never once did I see marketing say.......The New Line 6 Helix perfect for when you settle for less than the best.

Everyone of us has a favorite amp, and we would like to play that amp on our $1500 helix. We all don't like the same amps.

Some of us sold gear to help with purchase of our helix (I sold some of my pedals) others sold tube amps they loved....now they just want to be able to play what they had on the helix....or even amps they can not afford to buy.

I just hope line 6 doesn't see comments like yours and decide they have given us all we need.

PS. Just to stop a joke before it's said, I took my Xanax today and I feel pretty good mentality.

I don't recall seeing any marketing from Line 6 stating or even suggesting that Helix would be the banishment of older gear. Maybe for some people, sure. Not me. I have to keep my HD around because Helix currently can't do some things the HD can, effects-wise.

Helix has the same DSP as Fractal Audio's AX8.

If you consider the number of amps a factor that places a product like Helix in the category of the best, then certainly Helix is a failure as compared to other units. Have you seen the amp list on the Axe FX? That's a monster that scares me, and would make me actually think about not buying one because of too many amps. I think Line 6 did a good job, struck a good balance, of covering most of the guitar tones you can make with a moderate amount of amps. I suspect most people end up using just a handful of amps once they find their favorites.

I'm sure making amp models is not easy and takes a lot of time; somewhere around a month I remember reading. I think that time would be better spent filling actual, big holes that exist, in the effects category.

But, Line 6 also listens to it customers as a collective. So have no fear that when a nobody such as me, on their forum, voices that Helix has enough amps, it's not going to affect their plans in any way at all. Amps are a popular thing with units like this, and that's what will mostly count in the end.

• Upvote 2

One acoustic guitar amp, like the Fishman Artist. 

Not sure how this will help acoustic guitarists. Isn't the Fishman Artist essentially just a powered full range speaker with a preamp that is tailored for acoustic guitar? Unless it has the Aura circuitry built in. I think that a simpler solution would be just a preamp model tailored for acoustic guitar within the Helix. Maybe Line 6 could come up with some acoustic guitar IRs of their own. That would be way cool.

Not sure how this will help acoustic guitarists. Isn't the Fishman Artist essentially just a powered full range speaker with a preamp that is tailored for acoustic guitar? Unless it has the Aura circuitry built in. I think that a simpler solution would be just a preamp model tailored for acoustic guitar within the Helix. Maybe Line 6 could come up with some acoustic guitar IRs of their own. That would be way cool.

not to mention... when you compare the sounds I got from POD HD using the Acoustic Amp model... with what I get with an acoustic IR, the Vintage Tube Preamp (or whatever it's called), the really nice compressor, and the parametric EQ...

The acoustic sounds out of Helix are the best plugged in acoustic sounds I've ever heard. Good enough for recording if it's in a mix. No lie.

not to mention... when you compare the sounds I got from POD HD using the Acoustic Amp model... with what I get with an acoustic IR, the Vintage Tube Preamp (or whatever it's called), the really nice compressor, and the parametric EQ...

The acoustic sounds out of Helix are the best plugged in acoustic sounds I've ever heard. Good enough for recording if it's in a mix. No lie.

I have to say my old Yamaha AG Stomp got some of the best acoustic sounds I have ever heard, direct into the PA. Now that Yamaha owns Line6 it seems like a no-brainer to work that technology into the Helix.  I would love to see an AG Stomp model on the Helix. On a side note, the AG Stomp provided optional 9v power out through a TRS (stereo 1/4) cable. This meant that with any acoustic-electric guitar that allowed power through a TRS cable, you could ditch your 9v batteries forever. This is technology I would like to see in every MFX unit and electric-acoustic produced. Those 9v batteries get expensive and if you forget to pull your guitar cable out they are drained by the time you pick up your guitar again. The same technology could also be used for electric guitars that use active pickups requiring 9v power. No more expensive batteries polluting the landfills and no more worrying about having to swap batteries or not having an extra during gigs. This is such a simple solution to powering active pickups and requires so little and inexpensive a hardware change that it amazes me it has not become an industry standard by now. Let's all stop subsidizing Duracell.

• Upvote 3

I have to say my old Yamaha AG Stomp got some of the best acoustic sounds I have ever heard, direct into the PA. Now that Yamaha owns Line6 it seems like a no-brainer to work that technology into the Helix.  I would love to see an AG Stomp model on the Helix. On a side note, the AG Stomp provided optional 9v power out through a TRS (stereo 1/4) cable. This meant that with any acoustic-electric guitar that allowed power through a TRS cable, you could ditch your 9v batteries forever. This is technology I would like to see in every MFX unit and electric-acoustic produced. Those 9v batteries get expensive and if you forget to pull your guitar cable out they are drained by the time you pick up your guitar again. The same technology could also be used for electric guitars that use active pickups requiring 9v power. No more expensive batteries polluting the landfills and no more worrying about having to swap batteries or not having an extra during gigs.

Another AG Stomp fan.

I will NEVER part with mine, even though the Helix, with the IRs engaged, is beating it for natural sound. Yes, the TRS deal was awesome, and worked with my acoustic guitar so I didn't need batteries, which was way way cool (that's impossible with my 2-voice guitars, though, sadly).

In fact, I have to play two simple songs tonight at an Ash Wednesday service, and I will be using that with my Crowdster. Amazing sound. Not quite the same as IRs, but through a PA...? Just amazing. Better than any similar solution that has come along since.

• Upvote 1

Another AG Stomp fan.

I will NEVER part with mine, even though the Helix, with the IRs engaged, is beating it for natural sound. Yes, the TRS deal was awesome, and worked with my acoustic guitar so I didn't need batteries, which was way way cool (that's impossible with my 2-voice guitars, though, sadly).

In fact, I have to play two simple songs tonight at an Ash Wednesday service, and I will be using that with my Crowdster. Amazing sound. Not quite the same as IRs, but through a PA...? Just amazing. Better than any similar solution that has come along since.

+1 Could not agree more, none of the digital modeling units I have used since sound as good as the AG Stomp to my ears. Not referring to the Helix, time will tell, I think with the right preamp, tweaks, and IRs, the potential is there for the Helix to far surpass it.

• 1 month later...

Maybe not more amps, but more control over the ones that there are already in the Helix. I love s-gear because you can do a lot with a single model only with the switches it has, and don't understand why there's no more "deep" parameters like bright switches or that (at least on amps which have them in the real world like the Twin Reverb) and there some like "ripple" that it's totally unnecesary IMHO.

Maybe not more amps, but more control over the ones that there are already in the Helix. I love s-gear because you can do a lot with a single model only with the switches it has, and don't understand why there's no more "deep" parameters like bright switches or that (at least on amps which have them in the real world like the Twin Reverb) and there some like "ripple" that it's totally unnecesary IMHO.

Well, for a lot of those amps, there are two versions of the amp that account for that for my use, normal and vibrato input (which is, in my experience, very much like having the bright switch on). I use that vib input for humbucker guitars and the normal for singles and I'm good to go.

Well, for a lot of those amps, there are two versions of the amp that account for that for my use, normal and vibrato input (which is, in my experience, very much like having the bright switch on). I use that vib input for humbucker guitars and the normal for singles and I'm good to go.

Vibrato channels of fender amps with reverb has more gain (due to the reverb recovery/mix stage). The normal channel sounds a bit more "bland". In general I find that there should be more flexibility in the models.

I use the vocal channel on the Helix, so some dedicated vocal effects would be a great addition. There are already plenty of guitar pedal being modeled, but there's a dedicated XLR mic input that feels neglected.

How about some modeling of something like the TC Helicon VoiceLive Play? The guitar effects can be used for a lot of its modulation, delay, and reverb effects. But what's missing in the Helix are vocal-specific processing such as 1) three part harmony to scale (with natural sounding formants so "no chipmunk vocals" like you get if you try to use the Helix guitar harmonizer for vocals), 2) hard tune, and 3) doubling.

• Upvote 1

A preamp voiced for acoustic guitar, acoustic guitar body IRs, a Dumble, a Two Rock, more boutique distortion pedals, especially The Royal Blue - Mad Professor, Free the Tone SOV.

agree, a few nicely done warm acoustic IRs would be appreciated by a large percent of working musicians..

the free IRs are really amazingly useful, and there's a crap-ton of them.

I really do need to take the time and go check those out, it's been crazy busy here since I've received my Helix. Any specific suggestions on what current Helix amp models work well, and with what free IRs for acoustic guitar?

Thx Peter..

I really do need to take the time and go check those out, it's been crazy busy here since I've received my Helix. Any specific suggestions on what current Helix amp models work well, and with what free IRs for acoustic guitar?

Thx Peter..

For me, the Matchless, Channel 1 or Jump -> either the Dr. Z 2 x 12 or a dual cab with the Dr. Z on one side and the 4 x 10 on the other... is my go to... for every guitar and purpose... I will also use the /13, Shiva (gain WAY down), and Dr. Z amps mostly... but that Matchless is silly amazing.

free acoustic IRs here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1XgNa5vH3j1ZkVoTFJLQ241WTg/view

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f2qdh9jtcl6s5cv/AACRlEt-UVeLAhuvV4YwMY7Wa?dl=0

All derived, I think, from Aura, but work tremendously well. There may be others out there now. I'm so delighted with these ones I stopped looking.

I use the vocal channel on the Helix, so some dedicated vocal effects would be a great addition. There are already plenty of guitar pedal being modeled, but there's a dedicated XLR mic input that feels neglected.

How about some modeling of something like the TC Helicon VoiceLive Play? The guitar effects can be used for a lot of its modulation, delay, and reverb effects. But what's missing in the Helix are vocal-specific processing such as 1) three part harmony to scale (with natural sounding formants so "no chipmunk vocals" like you get if you try to use the Helix guitar harmonizer for vocals), 2) hard tune, and 3) doubling.

This, I am a studio musician will also be using  the voice recording (and ReFX) capabilities of the Helix Rack.  This is why I am so adamant about a high quality Vocoder eventually coming to the Helix.