Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone using an l2m with the helix

spencedaddy7

Yes, I am using a pair of L2t with Helix. XLR cables to the main XLR inputs on back panel of each L2t, so in essence same sound as L2m since I am not using the 't' side mixer panel. Sounds incredible actually! though I am test driving it for the first time tonight.

I have been using the L2t's for a while with the HD500x and they have always sounded stellar. I also pump Superior Drummer through the L2's and they have a decent amount of low end for a 1x10.

Using the global EQ, hence the XLR outs, though I am going to test the L6link next.

I am wondering how it would work as an amp. I currently have a Fender Custom Deluxe Reverb and it sounds "OK" through that, but I want to get something that I could do small jam sessions with and mainly something that will work for getting a good idea for how the sounds will sound when going straight to the PA.

• Upvote 1

Is anyone using an l2m with their helix? I'm thinking of ordering one, but would like to hear what others think first.

I am using the Helix direct to our mixer and then out to our L2M floor monitors. All of the band's vocal and instrument monitoring as well as my Helix are channeled through the L2M monitors and it sounds great -- articulate and organic. Definitely had to tame the high and low end on my presets though as these are full range PA speakers.

• 6 months later...

L2m sounds great. IMO no need to mess with global eq. I use just one. Would love 2 for stereo but that would defeat the portability purpose. I'm hoping Line 6 will create a Firehawk without the tones engine included specifically to use as a stage monitor for the Helix. But I read in this forum that the price point would not be lowered much in doing this. ~$100. http://line6.com/support/topic/18079-line-6-firehawk-1500  I think you would need to use a bunch of cables for wet/dry/wet?. Something about the simplicity of L6 link and done I really like. But don't see that on the back panel. If a wet/dry/wet "Firehawk" setup with one L6 cable is possible I'd really be interested. The cab looks pretty portable. Appears that it tilts for a front monitor so that's nice.

L2m sounds great. IMO no need to mess with global eq. I use just one. Would love 2 for stereo but that would defeat the portability purpose. I'm hoping Line 6 will create a Firehawk without the tones engine included specifically to use as a stage monitor for the Helix. But I read in this forum that the price point would not be lowered much in doing this. ~$100. http://line6.com/support/topic/18079-line-6-firehawk-1500 But that seems maybe an exaggeration? I need to find out if wet/dry/wet is possible without a bunch cables. Something about the simplicity of L6 link and done I really like. 

Eh, we just went round and round on a couple of threads.  I was really leaning toward FH1500. I would have been fine without the L6 Link as I have to go stereo cables to any other FRFR solution.  But that's not the case.

Helix + Firehawk seems to take 3 cables and some creative Helix patchwork to get signal to all 3 speakers, including the 1" horn which is a critical piece.  I'm not sure if this is something that could be addressed in a Firehawk update, a creative FH patch, or something else. 

So to me, the L6 Stagesource speakers are still the best Line 6 FRFR offering for Helix.

I had an L2m for Pod HD500x and didn't care for it.  But I've had to level up on the sound engineering education for Helix, so it could have been user error.  Wish I still had it now.

• Upvote 1

is it better to have the volume knob turned all the way up on the L2M/L2T or the helix?

I think you want to start at 50% volume on the L2 and slowly bring up Helix master volume.

for my Helix, I have a pair of L2t and a DT25 at our practice spot, and pair of L3m at home. The L3m are overkill for home, I should probably switch them out for the L2 from the spot; at home, with Helix and L3m, I usually I have to turn them to less than 50% to not be too loud, but they are a good bit more bass heavy with the extra speaker.

The L2 are nice; focused and punchy, and reasonably flat. I think likely more so that the L3, primarily due to the single speaker not skewing your perception of the bass. The L3 are a bit crazy loud! But I love the way they sound as floor monitors, that extra low end punch, with the floor monitor mode on the speaker, which cuts some bass, sounds nice with Helix. I also dig the pair of L2 as stereo floor monitors with Helix; though the L2 do well in a variety of configurations - on an amp stand, vertical behind you like a guitar amp, in front of you as floor monitor, or up on a speaker stand at ear level. They are not necessarily 'bright' per se, but might seem so playing the same material through the L2, next to a 12" powered speaker, or a 15". They do well to compliment a PA already using bigger speakers; that's how they're being used at our jam spot currently; up on speaker poles, as main/monitor fill. One near the drummer, the other on other side of the room. 

I run the Helix to a DT25, and also direct XLR to the PA, which gets monitored through the L2's, and any of the other 12 and 15 PA speakers they have going. Nice sounds through the DT25 as personal monitor; still good to be able to hear the PA version as well; balance of performance monitoring (DT25) and tone monitoring (L2 / PA speakers / monitors).

The DT25 pretty easy to set up for Helix - just blank or bypass everything you can using DTedit. If you feel like it, set up the four voicing on channel B for topo I-II-III-IV, so you can toggle between then when linked with Helix. In the setup I described, I use Line6Link to send full everything to the DT25, having 'blanked' it - just injecting Helix tone to DT25 power amp basically. You can toggle between the Class A/ A-B and pentode / triode, and if configured properly in advance, between the four topologies. There are some interesting pairings of Helix amps and DT power settings; I haven't been ambitious enough to program Helix to make those changes, but I am thinking with the new snapshots on Helix, might be worth revisiting controlling DT with the Helix. 

Though in general, Helix sounds great as is, so I just try to make the DT sound reasonably close to how Helix sounds direct; I haven't gotten around to working the DT tubes into the actual Helix signal chain.