Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ASIO driver - dry channel?

seantrow

I would like to be able to do guitar processing (along with other stuff) in my DAW, using my Amplifi 150 as a guitar input / speaker.  However it seems like there is no way to get the dry input from the ASIO driver.  Am I missing something?  Would it be possible to support a dry input channel in a future update? (This has been supported in other line 6 drivers.)

I realized there is a more serious problem here - there doesn't seem to be a way to get the guitar input to the DAW without also playing it though the speaker.  Turning the mix volume down on the Amplifi turns down the guitar signal going into the USB as well as the playback through the speaker (so if you turn it all the way down, there is no guitar input.)

It seems it would be more useful if the guitar volume into the DAW was fixed independently of that setting.  (I suppose if there was a dry input it could have that property.)

As things stand I don't think I can use the Amplify as DAW interface.  (I would be interested if anybody else figured out how to make this work.)  Too bad, as it seems like having a laptop, a guitar, and an Amplifi would have been a pretty versatile portable combination.

I'm not sure what DAW you're using, but I've used my Amplifi 75 with GarageBand a few times.  To mute the amp's speaker output, just turn down the Overall (red) volume.  

Also, the way I managed to get a clean/dry signal is to create a preset that removes the amp and any effects.  Under the "Clean" amps you can select either "no amp" or a tube preamp.

I'm using Ableton Live.  I did figure out the trick of a "flat" effect to get a dry signal.  

But want I want is all the DAW output to play out the speaker, but NOT the guitar signal. (The guitar sound is run into Ableton, processed, and then sent to the speaker with the other sounds.)

I'm using Ableton Live.  I did figure out the trick of a "flat" effect to get a dry signal.  

But want I want is all the DAW output to play out the speaker, but NOT the guitar signal. (The guitar sound is run into Ableton, processed, and then sent to the speaker with the other sounds.)

Yeah, there's no way to do that.  For that, you should just get yourself a 1/4" to USB guitar interface to use as an input for your DAW and then use the USB on the Amplifi as your output, or buy a good pair of monitor speakers to output the sound directly from your computer.

On Windows using ASIO, you can't use a different audio device for input/output.

Of course I can just use another audio device entirely and/or use other speakers.  My hope was to be able to use the Amplifi though since it's portable and it ostensibly has all I need in there already.  Frustrating that it can't be configured correctly.