Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What If.................................dsp 'remote Shelf'

thompsondd

I'm (still) a noob (my unit hasn't even arrived yet) so I knowingly am speaking WAY out of turn and am WAY over my head...............but that has never stopped me before.

This might not be applicable to all POD HD models, but my thoughts were mainly around the Pro Rackmount (but could be applicable to other units I guess - floor models such as the HD500/HD500X could use this shelf (sitting in a rack) via another cable connection).

What if L6 were to build a 1RU expansion unit to add additional DSPs?

This 'expansion shelf' could integrate to the 'base unit' via an interface such as USB, ethernet, etc. Something that would add zero latency but increase the horsepower. The base unit would 'see' this expansion shelf as just another logical bank of DSPs that it can use. It would not be aware nor care that these additional DSPs would sit in a remote shelf, they would appear as a single logical virtual pool of resources.

The base unit, as shipped, would be 'good enough' for most players, but for players needing additional horsepower (more effects in the chain, etc), they could add additional DSP resources through this expansion shelf.

This practice is common in the IT/networking world. It is a great way of extending the life of the base unit by expanding the limited capabilities in the original unit but may fly in the face of 'boiling the ocean' to churn old units for new units every few years. I guess it depends on L6's hardware refresh cycle and model. 

Also, being able to open the unit to increase on board memory (using standard SD cards and/or DDR3 DIMMs etc) to handle new amp models, effects, etc as they are introduced would be awesome. 

I know these suggestions would require probably a brand new architecture to include a bus and interfaces not in the current models so it wouldn't be applicable to the gear we know today, but this is more for the 'next gen' type models.

Just a thought...............................

That's an interesting idea.

If they don't make something like that, a HD500(X) user could just get an M9 or something like that if expanded capability is needed.

I tried that. Didn't help much. Problem is POD can do 512 patches and M9 I think 24. One would think they would make the two work together better considering the DSP power in current PODs or lack there of.