Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix App Keeps Disconnecting (OS X)

tourultimate

I'm running the latest version of firmware (1.043) and the latest Helix App (1.02). I'm running Mac OS X 10.11.1. The Helix app will run for a few seconds and then all of a sudden say "No Device Connected". The only way to fix it is to reboot the helix and restart the Helix app. Any suggestions?

I had the opposite experience. Helix doesn't seem to like the USB 3 ports on my 2012 MacBook Pro. When I go through a USB 2.0 hub plugged into a Belkin Express Doc connected to the computer through Thunderbolt, I have no problems.

The latest versions of El Capitan seem to work better too. There may still be USB and audio problem in El Capitan.

• Upvote 1

I have to unplug my USB hub completely to get everything to work. If the hub is plugged into my Macbook, the Helix and app do not cooperate. Just to be clear, this is even when the Helix is plugged directly into the Mac, not the USB hub itself. It is inconvenient because my mouse, keyboard, etc are all plugged into the USB hub that I essentially use as a docking station.

I have El Cap running on my iMac 2011 and Macbook Pro 2015.  Both are working fine.  Check the energy saver options in the computer settings?  Maybe something trying to go to sleep.  On both computers if I leave everything plugged-in and walk away, come back to a sleep computer, I move my mouse, it will say no midi connection on the Helix app.  If I give it a second it will re-connect after a few minutes.

• Upvote 1

I'm having the same issue on an older iMac with the most current version of El Cap, and USB 2 ports.  

I've tried 3 different cables - one with a "wart" with no success, and discovered when I wiped out my brand new Helix last month, that I need to resort to booting the iMac into Safe Mode - holding the Shift Key down on boot.  

Even tonight, the Helix app would only export a bundle successfully in Safe Mode after I drag-and-dropped the presets I'd been working on safely into the Finder.

Before the drag-and-drop, I had to Force Quit the Helix app 4-5 times because it would start to export and get to 1% - 8% tops - and go offline, and then there's no way to quit the app.  After the drag and drop, I had success exporting a bundle.  Go figure.  

After my presets and bundle were safely on the iMac, the update to Firmare 1.04.3 went fine in Safe Mode.  As an extra precaution, I recommend downloading the Firmware Update from the Downloads page, and installing it using the Choose File button in Line 6 Updater.  I don't trust the USB at this point.

I suspect El Cap as well, and hope to see a resolution soon.  I expect better from Apple.  This issue has been reported since December, if not sometime in November that I'm aware of.  I know there was a post from Line 6 on the HD500 forum, that there were issues with El Cap.  The local Line 6 techs have had Helix's returned that failed the update process and were wiped out.  They have brought them back on a Windows computer - without the presets that were created.

• 3 months later...

Thanks to a tip above - I tried plugging it into a keyboard and then running the keyboard into my macbook pro and that works! 

I hope they solve this problem soon as it will be a pain to have to use the keyboard in between the helix and the laptop.

Any other work-around tips for Macbook Pro retina users? Got the Helix 3 weeks ago and have tried every USB config imaginable to no avail. Still no way to use the Helix app plugging direct into laptop. What has worked for people so far?

i've been experiencing the same problems with a late 2012 21.5" iMac and latest version of El Cap (10.11.4). With the Helix app (from 1.04 to 1.11.1) either it does not connect or it loses the connection after a (short) while. This can either be directly in a USB port on the iMac or through a USB 3.0 hub. Audio recording does not seem to give any problems (have not been testing this extensively, though).

Yesterday, I tried an old USB (1.0) hub. This seemed to solve the problem for the Helix editor app. Have been able to connect for longer than ever without losing the connection. Was able to export the bundle several times without any problems. Since it's USB 1.0, obviously it's not supporting the Helix as audio interface.

Anyway, with the USB 1.0 hub (had nothing else lying around) my connection problems with the Helix editor app seem to be over. YMMV of course.

• Upvote 1

The next version of the editor should (SHOULD) fix the woes that mid-2012 MacBook Pro and iMac guys have been experiencing with El Capitan. The solution came from a combination of 10.11.4 (you'll need to update to this version of El Cap), additional diagnostic tools provided by Apple post-10.11.4 public release, and a lot of deep digging. I shouldn't say it wasn't our fault, but...

My mid-2012 MacBook Pro was the only computer in the building that didn't work. The editor works great with my computer now—fewer dropouts than before El Cap—and with luck, we should be able to release it to the public in the next couple of weeks.

• Upvote 1

I had the same issue with my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 an El Cap 10.11.4.

While we are waiting for the next version of the editor I can confirm that a workaround with a USB 2 hub connected between Helix and Mac allows the helix application to run. I use a small "LINDY USB 2.0 Smart Hub Pro" (http://www.lindy-usa.com/usb-hub-4-port-usb-20-smart-hub-pro-with-power-supply-42999.html) even without the power supply and that works fine.

• Upvote 1

Don't know if this helps but I had the same problem and someone suggested that I get an Apple Digital AV Multiport Adapter, Lightning connector.  It has a pass through USB which uses the lightning port rather than the problem onboard USB.  Did so and it worked for me. At a cost of $99 at my local Apple store but..it works.  I would bet that a cheaper version would work just as well. Hopefully this will all end with the update coming shortly. 

My hub didn't work. Still had to boot to Safe Mode do export a bundle - but this time, even that didn't work. It's always worked at some point, in Safe Mode since December...

Mine's been working perfectly ever since I started using a USB 2.0 hub!

In fact, it's a lot more convenient, space-wise, than plugging into the back of my iMac.

And the editor is so handy and glorious!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally!  I did the El Cap update today, got a bundle saved off the old way - in Safe Mode - rebooted and updated the Helix software and firmware to 1.12.  Golden!  I like the new editor.  

It's been a long wait - I still suspect El Cap as the culprit.  No matter, it seems great and Line 6 is now able to work the kinks out of the much improved software.

I haven't seen my TimeMachine drive in weeks because of connectivity issues and the fact that even after a week or so, the disk seems to be indexing or something, and isn't showing up.  USB 3 was available on Windows computers when Apple built this Mac...  Hope this version of El Cap fixes ALL USB issues.

Thanks to all for making Helix/El Cap right.

Finally!  I did the El Cap update today, got a bundle saved off the old way - in Safe Mode - rebooted and updated the Helix software and firmware to 1.12.  Golden!  I like the new editor.  

It's been a long wait - I still suspect El Cap as the culprit.  No matter, it seems great and Line 6 is now able to work the kinks out of the much improved software.

I haven't seen my TimeMachine drive in weeks because of connectivity issues and the fact that even after a week or so, the disk seems to be indexing or something, and isn't showing up.  USB 3 was available on Windows computers when Apple built this Mac...  Hope this version of El Cap fixes ALL USB issues.

Thanks to all for making Helix/El Cap right.

Mike - are you, perchance, using a Western Digital drive for your time machine?

There is a big problem with WD drives and El Capitan.  I replaced two of my external WD hard drives with different manufacturers' and everything works swimmingly now.

You can read about it on the Apple forum.

• Upvote 1

Helix app 1.12 in combination with the 1.12 FW indeed fixed the USB problem of my late 2012 iMac and OS X 10.11.4. 

Now there is an update to OS X10.11.5 ... 

Anyone tried this on a Mac that previously had connection problems? Is the Helix connection still working? 

• 1 month later...

Thanks jasdadgad,

Made me look...  I checked and all my drives on this system are Seagates.  I've still had some connection problems with the Helix Edit software, but nothing like before.  At worst, I have success on something like the third try, when there's a problem.