Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New jtv59 user

Hi I have a few questions I can't find answers too,

First of all I borrowed a jtv69 for a few days before deciding to get myself a 59 and I much preferred the spank model on the 69, the guy I borrowed it from has never updated so it's possibly using an older firmware , is there a different spank model I can download? (I thought I read a post on this subject recently but I can't find it)

Also is it normal that my B and high E strings sound quiet compared to the other strings ? I know I can adjust string volumes in workbench but just wondered if it's maybe a symptom of a problem?

Cheers for reading and thanks for any help

Hi I have a few questions I can't find answers too,

First of all I borrowed a jtv69 for a few days before deciding to get myself a 59 and I much preferred the spank model on the 69, the guy I borrowed it from has never updated so it's possibly using an older firmware , is there a different spank model I can download? (I thought I read a post on this subject recently but I can't find it)

Also is it normal that my B and high E strings sound quiet compared to the other strings ? I know I can adjust string volumes in workbench but just wondered if it's maybe a symptom of a problem?

Cheers for reading and thanks for any help

Lots of us hate the latest Strat models. You can roll back to older firmware, but you can't mix and match models from different firmware versions...it's all or nothing. Using older firmware also means no Workbench HD, you'll be stuck using the older edit software, so it's a trade-off. An easier solution is staying on the latest firmware, creating a custom Strat model in Workbench, and loading that to one of the custom banks on the guitar. Someone posted such a custom model a while back which I've been using (slightly tweaked) for some time. It's much closer to the Strat model in the 1.9 firmware. You could also just futz around with different body and pickup combinations yourself, until you get a Strat sound you like. It's really not hard to do, just time consuming until you the hang of it.

String volume issues are common. Piezo outputs vary, that's why the string volumes are adjustable in Workbench. For my Strat models, the low E, A, and D strings are set anywhere from 45-60%, and the G,B,and high E strings generally at 90-100% to balance everything out. You'll need to mess around and see what works for you. Each guitar will be a little different.

• Upvote 1

I've only had my Variax Standard for a few days, so I'm no expert yet. But yes, I definitely noticed an annoying volume drop on the high B/E strings on the Strat & Tele models.

As cruison2 said, the workbench "Global Strings Level" page lets you compensate for differences in the piezo outputs. But this is a global setting for all presets on your guitar.

I found that only the Tele & Strat models needed significant level balancing - the other models were fine. So while the piezo output might vary on each guitar, I think that T-Model and Spank are applying their own levels to the higher strings. Who knows, perhaps that's exactly how the original modelled guitars sounded.

I'm still experimenting, but currently the Spank levels are set to 35-45-55-65-90-100 with a 3dB boost in preset volume. On my guitar, this sounds consistent with the onboard magnetic pups.

I'm absolutely loving this guitar , I really can't believe how good it sounds, I'm running the 59 into a firehawk and then out to the Lt3 , I only have 4 patches properly dialled in but they each sound better than anything I had on any of my previous rigs

My dad came round to try it today, he played in a dire straits tribute as Mark knoffler for about 10 years so I set him up with the resonator model and 2 hours later I literally had to kick him out the house, he said he didn't think it would be possible to sound so accurate

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just dragged the strat file into the preset position I wanted it in (custom 2)

I did it quite a few times and it didn't work , I think it's something to do with which tab you have selected at the top left of the screen, going from memory though