Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I assign a complete patch to a button?

dsidoti58

this is my first post, and i hope I am doing this the right way. I am going to be using my HD500x in a live application. I just bought the unit last week.I asked/ told the sales person what exactly I wanted to do, naturally his answer was SURE!, but I cannot seem to get a grasp. 
Ok I have created 20 or so patches, emulating most of the tones I want for the songs we do. I created them using the edit software and have them stored in a "setlist" file in the HD500x.
Now, I want to take a WHOLE patch, and move it to a button, then another to another button, so i can recall them on the fly, with my feet. I would leave a couple open for a lead solo boost patch, that I will create and store later. I want my pedal to be a volume pedal, on each patch, which i have working now.
So I saw all the videos on assigning an EFFECT within a patch to a button, but nothing on a WHOLE patch ...seems to me this shouldn't be a problem, or is it?

There really isn't a reason to have an entire patch set aside just for a boost for a lead.  You can do it that way but I think most people simply use it in a similar way to what clintmartin noted in his response and put something like a boost effect into the patch that's set to inactive on the patch by default, then when they come to a lead they simply turn on that effect on the same patch and turn it off after the lead.  That's why the default configuration is for ABCD mode.  In that mode you can turn on and off individual effects using top row FS 1,2,3, or 4 and the bottom row of footswitches allow you to cycle through different patches.

It's also important to note that just because you have an effect setup in a patch, it doesn't have to be assigned to a footswitch.  If that effect is constantly going to be on in that patch you can assign the footswitch as "none".  That's handy for such things as reverb for example and conserves your footswitches for things you DO want to turn on and off.

Likewise mulitple effect can be assigned to a single footswitch.  So let's say you have a lead on a patch that uses both a boost and a delay.  You can assign both of those to the same footswitch so that turning it on engages or disengages both at the same time.  In some cases I've assigned something like a chorus and a boost to one footswitch, but the chorus is on by default and the boost is off by default.  So when I use that footswitch it turns off the chorus and turns on the boost and vice versa when I hit the footswitch again.  You can really get a lot more mileage out of a single patch with inventive configurations of the footswitches rather than always reverting to making a new patch.

You can even make morphing tones using an expression pedal or a switch in the expression jack. One example would be a crunchy tone where you might want a lead tone on the same model you crunch on. It takes a little time, but once you know what the settings are for each tone in the model, you can set all the amp parms Min and Max values so a single amp model will change on the fly within a patch between two tonestack setups....You can even assign all FX parms and have the entire chain morph...Real nice when 100% seamless transitions are needed...

I play live all the time among several genres of music. I'm using patches in ABCD mode, where D is always a dirty majestic lead tone with volume boost (including Wah if needed). I've also assigned one foot pedal button per ABCD patch to a volume boost in case I need a less majestic lead tone. This way, I keep tap dancing during songs on the floorboard to a minimum. This helps me big time since my band does not use set lists, instead reading the crowd response during sets (which also has it's controversial challenges).

I am going to start off by saying: I thought I understood what you wanted, but then you kept talking, and now I am not sure. 

So, here goes: 

Your board is capable of: 

1. having 8 effect on/off buttons within a single patch. Or, 

2. having 4 effect on/off buttons within a single patch, with the remaining 4 buttons being used to select patches. 

If you choose option 2, then in the EDIT software program, your buttons align themselves with the format of the boxes in EDIT. 

Meaning, 01A 01B 01C 01D (etc), can be selected by tapping on the A B C or D button.  

Does that help?

--------------------------

Also, you have more balls than I do. It took me months of using the Pod before I took it out. I basically figured out the answers to the questions before hand. That way I knew what to expect when I did use it. 

You might be able to do what you want if you run a MIDI cable from the output straight in to the input.  Then, set the MIDI commands on each button to correspond to the desired patches, and make sure the channel is the same as the Pod's channel.  Consult the advanced pilot's guide for more details; I don't know the proper PC commands to make this happen, off the top of my head.  If you do it right, you can set all eight footswitches to switch to different patches.