Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Unboxing, Why I Bought It, and Its Size Compared to HD500X

ChristianArnold

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Helix, but after you removed it from the plastic bag, we really wanted to see it up close. Camera was too far away, and shaky every time the Helix was moved on the table. Thanks for doing a side by side with the 500X, that part was cool. Also, your voice had a natural room reverb on it, compromising clarity. I'm sure you know better than that, so I hope you use a closer mic on your next video. Aside from my rants, I did enjoy seeing an actual unboxing of Helix. Thanks for the video!

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Helix, but after you removed it from the plastic bag, we really wanted to see it up close. Camera was too far away, and shaky every time the Helix was moved on the table. Thanks for doing a side by side with the 500X, that part was cool. Also, your voice had a natural room reverb on it, compromising clarity. I'm sure you know better than that, so I hope you use a closer mic on your next video. Aside from my rants, I did enjoy seeing an actual unboxing of Helix. Thanks for the video!

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Also, thanks for watching.

What do you think of the expression pedal compared to the HD's?

I find I like the pedal on the HD to have a better mechanical design. It's feels smoother. It doesn't get in the way when you're actually using it. There's something about Helix's pedal that's rough and floppy. If the tension is loosened too much, the pedal really starts to feel ... cheap, is the word that comes to my mind, despite that the pedal is a huge block of alumin(i)um doesn't seem to help much.

What do you think of the expression pedal compared to the HD's?

I find I like the pedal on the HD to have a better mechanical design. It's feels smoother. It doesn't get in the way when you're actually using it. There's something about Helix's pedal that's rough and floppy. If the tension is loosened too much, the pedal really starts to feel ... cheap, is the word that comes to my mind, despite that the pedal is a huge block of alumin(i)um doesn't seem to help much.

I will definitely have to try out the expression pedal a little more to be able to tell you my thoughts on it. I'll tell you guys this though, this throng blew me away last night. It's amazing!

I will definitely have to try out the expression pedal a little more to be able to tell you my thoughts on it. I'll tell you guys this though, this throng blew me away last night. It's amazing!

If you want smooth actuation you will have to open the bottom of the Helix, disassemble the pedal from the rest of the board and lubricate all the parts and surfaces that move. This made a world of difference for me and got rid of the annoying squeaking I had. I would caution that taking the pedal apart is best left to those that are mechanically inclined. Otherwise I'm sure a service center can do it for you easily.

Digital Igloo, Have you changed you assembly instructions to add lube to this area during manufacturing? I really recommend Line 6 implement this. I could write an idealscale but it's more of a quality problem than a feature request. 

• Upvote 1

If you want smooth actuation you will have to open the bottom of the Helix, disassemble the pedal from the rest of the board and lubricate all the parts and surfaces that move. This made a world of difference for me and got rid of the annoying squeaking I had. I would caution that taking the pedal apart is best left to those that are mechanically inclined. Otherwise I'm sure a service center can do it for you easily.

Digital Igloo, Have you changed you assembly instructions to add lube to this area during manufacturing? I really recommend Line 6 implement this. I could write an idealscale but it's more of a quality problem than a feature request. 

Thanks for reminding me about this and your discovery of it. I had actually saved your earlier post about this for future reference. I might have to try it because there really is no 'in between' setting. It's either really tight, too much tension, or too loose and floppy.

So I did the procedure ice9mike did, and it really did improve the on-board exp pedal. It's much more smooth and seems to glide now. There was some sort of lubricant/oil on the long bolt that holds everything together. The bolt turns inside a stationary nut while in operation. But none of the perpendicular surfaces that make contact and move against each other had any sort of lubricant at all. I used chapstick, the same thing I use on my Edge tremolo.

So I did the procedure ice9mike did, and it really did improve the on-board exp pedal. It's much more smooth and seems to glide now. There was some sort of lubricant/oil on the long bolt that holds everything together. The bolt turns inside a stationary nut while in operation. But none of the perpendicular surfaces that make contact and move against each other had any sort of lubricant at all. I used chapstick, the same thing I use on my Edge tremolo.

I am glad it worked for you too. I think lubrication to those surfaces is critical and I don't understand why Line 6 is shipping units without it. Pedal feel is one of those things that doesn't seem important till it becomes unpleasant. It's a first world problem to be sure, but we can complain about these issues when we pay $1500.