Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix with Amps

pssa6333

Hi, I just got a Helix my name is James and I need some help with configuring my device

scenario:

I have a ENGL E-670 Special Edition, Marshall 4x12 1960B

I have the 4 Cable Method setup, I can play fine but I am not satisfied

really I want to be able to use the amp tone/distortion and the Helix Effects

**** Problem two is recording

I have Focusrite pro 40 Firewire 800, iMac / Logic Pro X, JBL monitors

when I try to record, I have tried the 2 XLR method so far it comes out

this and over compressed, too digital, brittle like

I have also tried the USB method, same result for the most part

example of recording: http://dharq.com/helix-track.mp3

if anyone can help out that would be great

J

Hi, I just got a Helix my name is James and I need some help with configuring my device

scenario:

I have a ENGL E-670 Special Edition, Marshall 4x12 1960B

I have the 4 Cable Method setup, I can play fine but I am not satisfied

really I want to be able to use the amp tone/distortion and the Helix Effects

**** Problem two is recording

I have Focusrite pro 40 Firewire 800, iMac / Logic Pro X, JBL monitors

when I try to record, I have tried the 2 XLR method so far it comes out

this and over compressed, too digital, brittle like

I have also tried the USB method, same result for the most part

example of recording: http://dharq.com/helix-track.mp3

if anyone can help out that would be great

J

You'll have to be more specific about what you are not satisfied with on the 4 cable method. 

For recording, are you using the same 4 cable method preset without cab model or IR? If so, it will sound very bright and brittle. 

• 6 months later...

If you want to use the amp just to amplifiy the Helix, plug the guitar into the Helix and the 1/4" Helix into PWR IN. This is mono so only use the left 1/4" output in the Helix. This will bypass everything but the power amp of the amplifier. And if this is what you are going to do, I would suggest using the Helix's preamps only to start out with.

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

I know that I am late to this discussion, but I am hoping I can get some help from folks that were on this thread. I just got a Helix and I am running two Hughes and Kettner Grandmeisters. One is a Grandmeister 36 and the other is a Grandmeister 40. Each of these amps go in to their own 2x12 H&K cabinet. What I want to do is run the Helix in 7 Cable method so that I can get use of the stereo effects. I know there is a template for the 7CM in the Helix which is where I will start. But, I am hoping I can use the 7CM to be mostly used for effects and the MIDI commands will control the two Grandmeisters. But, I also want to be able from time to time bring up a patch that bypasses the H&K preamps and uses the amp models on the Helix. I also want to use the Helix for my Lifeson Les Paul which has two outputs, one for HB and the other for Piezo and have the PIezo cable go into the Aux in on the Helix and have the effects loop go out to my Fishman acoustic amp or out to the house. 

I know I am asking alot, but this is my dream rig here. I can have all the versatility in both Grandmeisters along with the Helix. I am just not sure if the 7CM will do all of this for me and then I got to figure out how to configure all of the patches to do this.....

Thanks

• 5 months later...

I've been struggling to get my tone outta the helix LT. Got one cause my keyboard player found an excellent deal on a used one so I got it.  I was plugging into the front end of my  Dr. Z Maz jr (*NO FX LOOP*).  Read this post about using fx loops and the only amp I have with a loop is my old Line6 Flextone II (which by the way still sounds killer) SO... I plugged the helix into the return on my flextone and found out that the helix actually has some nice amp models LOL.   So much better then going into the front of an amp... even using a totally Excellent amp like the Maz JR.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, all:

I recently purchased the Line 6 HX Effects to use in place of my massive pedalboard at gigs.  I appreciate all the discussion here regarding the 4-cable method for getting the most from the Helix when going directly into a single guitar combo amplifier (instead of a PA). However, I run my pedalboard into two guitar combo amps, as many of my pedals are stereo.

How do I connect the HX Effects to two guitar combo amplifiers to get the most out of it?  It doesn't seem possible to do the 4-cable method using two guitar amplifiers.  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks.