Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix or HD500X

jshoenfelt

Ultimately you are the one most familiar with your own needs and wants. You pretty much know what to expect if you upgrade to a 500X. It's the 500 but with about 20% more DSP, better switches, and a slightly higher contrast screen. I went from a 500 to a 500X and was quite surprised by how much more you can do with that extra 20% of DSP.

I also went from a 500X to Helix. I really do not regret that choice one bit. There are some things the 500X does that Helix cannot, mainly in the effects, so I keep mine around, but for the most part it collects dust now. If you have use for the flexibility Helix gives you (take a gander at Helix's manual for an idea about this), it could be worth it. Is the ease of programming it worth it to you? With Helix, there may be the possibility of ditching all of your extra pedals. Just some things to think about.

• Upvote 2

Thanks, it's nice to see that someone who went to the Helix from a HD500 is happy.  I am very interested in ditching all my pedals, I play every Sunday in church and I am looking to simplify, having said that, I do love my pedals, I have a few Wamplers, but simple would be nice.

I have no complaints about my HD500. So I haven't even bothered with the HD500x or Helix. 

Just yesterday, someone said that they returned their Helix because, while nice, just was not worth the price for them. 

So, really, you need to figure out what you want to do but can't do with your 500. And then, when you have that list, figure out if you need to upgrade to the 500x or to the Helix. AND you need to determine if this upgrade is worth the money. If all you want is - as example - a delay, you don't need to spend $1500 on the Helix, when a $60 pedal can do the trick. 

• 3 weeks later...

I personally have run up the almost entire line6 modeling line starting with an AX212 through POD XT, X3, HD500, HD500X and now Helix.  Everybody is pretty spot on about you need to figure out what is best for your situation.  There are some effects that aren't available yet in Helix that are in the HD500.  Yet being the active word.  I love the Helix, very easy to get a great tone out of quickly.  IMHO the Helix is much more reactive to playing style and the guitar being played.  Don't get me wrong I love my HD500X, but the Helix also incorporates as lot of the suggestions or fixes a lot of the criticisms that forum user's had with the HD series.