Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Acoustic... and electric... at the SAME TIME... with Helix.

PeterHamm

Peter, this is a great setup! Thanks for sharing.

I've modified the patch(es) for a Variax JTV-59 using the Acoustic-1 Model instead of Return1 input, and using Variax Mags instead of the Guitar input. I only have two expression pedals so I've also modified the Vol controller on the acoustic path to use EXP2 and inverted min/max values so I can control the electric/acoustic blend using just EXP2.

Works great!

Peter, this is a great setup! Thanks for sharing.

I've modified the patch(es) for a Variax JTV-59 using the Acoustic-1 Model instead of Return1 input, and using Variax Mags instead of the Guitar input. I only have two expression pedals so I've also modified the Vol controller on the acoustic path to use EXP2 and inverted min/max values so I can control the electric/acoustic blend using just EXP2.

Works great!

That is really really cool.

I wonder, do you even need the IR with the Variax, though. I DESPERATELY want to hear you make a clip of that, too. I think that would be cool to hear.

I wonder, do you even need the IR with the Variax, though....

Yes - I kept the same IR in your patch for the Variax acoustic. I have been using that set of 7 IRs in the Taylor file with the Variax acoustics in several presets since I got Helix. It sounds much better with one of those than with nothing, or with any stock guitar cab in Helix.

Yes - I kept the same IR in your patch for the Variax acoustic. I have been using that set of 7 IRs in the Taylor file with the Variax acoustics in several presets since I got Helix. It sounds much better with one of those than with nothing, or with any stock guitar cab in Helix.

very cool. I wish I still had a JTV Variax just to try with this, but alas, it is long gone...

Well, as good as the Variax acoustic models are I don't think they are as good as the modeling that was demonstrated in your video. I think you even commented on the quality when you introduce the finger-picking section. (Not to discount the quality of the playing!! ;) )

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't find that too useful with my variax acoustic 700. It was like playing through two bodies and sounded worse. I really wish the variax had a direct piezo output so we could use these body images as intended. It would really breath new life into an otherwise unused instrument. I use the 700 for live gigs for many years. But with Helix and the body images I've created in Helix, I now use my old Gibson J50 with a piezo and get a fantastic tone.

Line 6 should really pay attention to acoustic instruments with Helix by 1) providing an acoustic amplifier with tone controls voiced appropriately for acoustic instruments, and 2) providing some built in body images. 

• Upvote 1

Peter, thanks for the post.  Used to follow you on the Tom Anderson board a few years ago when I had my Crowdster Plus.  At the time you could send the Crowdster in to modify the Crowdster to a Plus 2.  Chose not to do it and sold it.  Playing with a PRS P22 Piezo bridge.  Looking forward to trying it out with a 2 cable setup.  I run it single and then use the blend knob.  Great sound with the T and Helix.

I agree amsdenj on the acoustic amp.  Getting some good sounds use the Mic Pre but would be nice to have a dedicated amp.

Peter, thanks for the post.  Used to follow you on the Tom Anderson board a few years ago when I had my Crowdster Plus.  At the time you could send the Crowdster in to modify the Crowdster to a Plus 2.  Chose not to do it and sold it.  Playing with a PRS P22 Piezo bridge.  Looking forward to trying it out with a 2 cable setup.  I run it single and then use the blend knob.  Great sound with the T and Helix.

I agree amsdenj on the acoustic amp.  Getting some good sounds use the Mic Pre but would be nice to have a dedicated amp.

Dude, the P22 is an unbelievable guitar. Except for not being able to afford it, I've been gassing for one forever. I recommend them to guys all the time.

That new Firehawk 1500 looks like it might be the deal for the amp to handle electric and acoustic both. I am not sure it can do them simultaneously though...

I've been trying to sketch out some ideas for the piezo on my LP.  I'm going to download these patches and IR's and see if I can set them up to use an active input with a piezo.

my patches won't work for you until the 1.06 update hits. Hopefully early in the week!

Peter,  Thanks for putting up those patches.  I really would love to get sound even close to what i was hearing in the vids.  I upgraded to 1.06 on a stompbox model but when i go to import the patches i get a message that it is an unrecognized device in the editor.  I'm wondering if others are able to get those patches going in the stompbox helix or what i might be doing wrong? I was able to pul in the IRs. 

Thanks,

Carl Corneliuson