Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Roland Jazz Chorus sound a la Metallica

doug316

I've dialed in a really great Metallica Master of Puppets clean tone, with one exception. That first strong E note of Sanitarium captures how the real amp sounds, super strong yet lean on the low end. In my case, I get clipping and none of the strong bottom end. I addressed other EQ but can't get rid of the clipping nor the bass response I'd expect. 

Anybody have any insight?

Out of curiosity, I did some searching on Google, for any notes on this. Actually found a thread from 2004, with the following insight:

"The low E's are being doubled by a piano."

https://forum.guitar.com/effects-22/need-help-figuring-out-sound-metallica-sanitarium-170644

That may be true on the record. I'm not 100% convinced though.

Something's still missing vs the real amp, and I'm not sure why there's clipping. Maybe I need to try the Bassman...

I've dialed in a really great Metallica Master of Puppets clean tone, with one exception. That first strong E note of Sanitarium captures how the real amp sounds, super strong yet lean on the low end. In my case, I get clipping and none of the strong bottom end. I addressed other EQ but can't get rid of the clipping nor the bass response I'd expect.

Anybody have any insight?

Did you try lowering the master volume on the amp and maybe the drive a bit too? I had some clipping with that amp with the default settings. I think one of the ribbon mics has alot of low end. Did you try the different mics and distances?

OMG I WANT TO MESS AROUND WITH THAT!

Yeah, I mean if you can take a piezo signal on a Variax and make it sound like a banjo, or a 12 string acoustic guitar, or a sitar; then it seems feasible to use a similar process to take a dry guitar signal and make it sound pianoish. Not like full on MIDI sample trigger, but akin to the Variax stuff. I don't have enough practical knowledge or experience using IR's so I have no clue how realistic that idea is; just seemed like a cool experiment that could be done!

Sound sample https://soundcloud.com/douggie-p/helix-asylum

Helix -> DT50 212 FX return -> budget condenser mic -> Scarlet 6i6 -> Logic

You'll notice the mild distortion on the opening note. I've heard this really move speakers on nice tube amps in the past, but the dynamics aren't sneaking through. Maybe some level meters in a future version would help. I'm thinking I need to drop the signal level down into the amp model and maybe bring it back up before the output. Will keep trying.