Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500x Edit, Opening Tones From Customtone?

synsin

Hello

This is my first post in years. I just purchased a Line6 POD HD500X.

I have installed the Line6 HD500X Edit software but It cannot open any of the tones from http://line6.com/customtone/ I have to first save the tone to an area of my hard drive, click file, open, use the drop down arrow to select "all files" to open anything I find on Customtone.

Most of the tones I have found are .h5e extensions but I also cannot open .5xe directly unless I open the tone via the method I have listed above (File, open...etc...)

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks

SynSin

honestly sounds like you are going about it mostly the right way...

you might just rename the file extension... (just hit f2 when the files selected and make the change) but there's no Line6 way to do that in a batch or anything...

Hi "TheRealZap" seems pretty silly that Line6 would release Line6Edit to work in this manner. Its not the end of the world but at least there is a work around that I can use. I will try "SilverHead" method when I get back home, seems like less steps to take. Thanks for the input fellas!

SynSin

pod hd500x is made to be used with pod hd500x and related files...

the fact that you can use hd500 files that you download is not officially supported.

they do not support any of the pod hd models using tones from other models in the line...

that's just the way it is... i don't necessarily agree with it... but at least you have a way forward, which is better than the alternative.

silverheads drag and drop method does work, i've used that as well.

Hi "TheRealZap" seems pretty silly that Line6 would release Line6Edit to work in this manner. Its not the end of the world but at least there is a work around that I can use. I will try "SilverHead" method when I get back home, seems like less steps to take. Thanks for the input fellas!

SynSin

pod hd500x is made to be used with pod hd500x and related files...

the fact that you can use hd500 files that you download is not officially supported.

they do not support any of the pod hd models using tones from other models in the line...

that's just the way it is... i don't necessarily agree with it... but at least you have a way forward, which is better than the alternative.

silverheads drag and drop method does work, i've used that as well.

You brought up another scenario that begs for me to ask but fear I already know the answer because of your last statement "pod hd500x is made to be used with pod hd500x and related files".

So I've owned the POD XT PRO and POD X3 Pro and have TONS of patches and bundles that have amazing sounds. Guess there will be no way for me to port these over to the HD500X.

SynSin

you are correct, the hd line does not contain the same models as the x-series... even the models they share are drastically different. There would be no way way to transfer those 1:1 even if a workaround like the HD models existed.

you are correct, the hd line does not contain the same models as the x-series... even the models they share are drastically different. There would be no way way to transfer those 1:1 even if a workaround like the HD models existed.

Guess I'll be tweaking for sometime like I've done in the past. = )

Thanks for all your input on this thread!

Like you, I worked out pretty quick that you have to select "all files" to see the hd500 patches within the folder I'd saved them to.

After that though they load up perfectly.

I don't really see it as an issue, the HD500 is the older generation, it's a minor compatibility issue.

What we do need though is a separate section in customtone for 500x. I've uploaded a few 500x patches and they don't refresh and show up in the 500 customtone section when viewed by date. You pretty much have to search for the tone by name to find it which is useless!

What we do need though is a separate section in customtone for 500x. I've uploaded a few 500x patches and they don't refresh and show up in the 500 customtone section when viewed by date. You pretty much have to search for the tone by name to find it which is pretty useless!

Totally agree!

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion it's a no-brainer that Line 6 needs to immediately update customtone to have a section for HD500X!  Right?

I mean just bought a new HD500X and can't believe that we can't share our tones in a reasonable efficient way?  What the heck?  I've been a Flextone II, Flextone III, XT LIve, and now I'm a HD500X customer, EXPECTING custometone to have a HD500X section - NOPE - Wow!  There are people selling their custom HD500X tones on YouTube... but we can't even trade with each other on customtone in an organized way, unless we download/examine the file extension - weird, please update as soon as you can.  Long-time User here... expects it.

What we do need though is a separate section in customtone for 500x. I've uploaded a few 500x patches and they don't refresh and show up in the 500 customtone section when viewed by date. You pretty much have to search for the tone by name to find it which is useless!

You're kidding!!

There is no POD HD500X* support? :wacko:

I own the HD500 but am still dissapointed Line 6 didn't have this setup before *it's release.

Had there not been HD500 support, I'd have been realy upset... hmm... maybe there wasn't originally... I got my unit Nov. 2012

Well I guess that's another fumble on Line 6's part.

I just bought an HD500X today. I bought it as a backup for my HD500. Basically, what I wanted was another HD500 so I didn't have to futz with resetting all my sounds or translating the files. The on-line retailers have basically dropped the 500's for the 500X's, except I found GC's online catalog still has them at $399, so I held off until a holiday (Labor Day) when they have their sales. I checked the local GC and they had it, but when I walked in, they were marked "clearance", so their 15% off wouldn't apply. With 15% off an HD500X, it was only 25 bucks more than the HD500, so I decided to go with the 500X.

I hooked up my 500 to the HD500 Edit software, saved all my patches, all my set lists, and a bundle. I then hooked up and set up the software for the HD500X, updated, yada yada.... Anyway, when I got to the point of hooking up to HD500X Edit, I had copied my set lists into 500X Edit's directory for it and renamed the set list's extensions from .h5s to .5xs, and opened them with HD 500X Edit, and they all loaded without a hitch. I was very relieved at how easy it was. They all sound exactly as the do in the 500. When you start to see 500X patches that use more DSP start showing up in the custom tones, I kinda doubt you'll be able to bring it back to the 500 and work, though..

The new one will be my main one with the 500 as the backup. I've been taking my X3L as my backup, but every change I make on the 500, makes the 2 drift further apart for backup purposes. I did have my XTL die at a gig with no backup, which is when I got the X3L... The night of the gig though, I was dead in the water, had to run home and grab my regular guitar amp, but it was not easy to switch in & out of acceptable clean/dirty sounds... We had to start about 45 minutes late -- not a pretty sight.

I am an engineer, and do believe in contingency plans, because sh1t does happen -- been there, done that... As far as I know, the patches will work the same by just renaming the extensions for 500 to 500X patches anyway... .

My 2 cents,

Dave

I just bought an HD500X today. I bought it as a backup for my HD500. Basically, what I wanted was another HD500 so I didn't have to futz with resetting all my sounds or translating the files. The on-line retailers have basically dropped the 500's for the 500X's, except I found GC's online catalog still has them at $399, so I held off until a holiday (Labor Day) when they have their sales. I checked the local GC and they had it, but when I walked in, they were marked "clearance", so their 15% off wouldn't apply. With 15% off an HD500X, it was only 25 bucks more than the HD500, so I decided to go with the 500X.

I hooked up my 500 to the HD500 Edit software, saved all my patches, all my set lists, and a bundle. I then hooked up and set up the software for the HD500X, updated, yada yada.... Anyway, when I got to the point of hooking up to HD500X Edit, I had copied my set lists into 500X Edit's directory for it and renamed the set list's extensions from .h5s to .5xs, and opened them with HD 500X Edit, and they all loaded without a hitch. I was very relieved at how easy it was. They all sound exactly as the do in the 500. When you start to see 500X patches that use more DSP start showing up in the custom tones, I kinda doubt you'll be able to bring it back to the 500 and work, though..

The new one will be my main one with the 500 as the backup. I've been taking my X3L as my backup, but every change I make on the 500, makes the 2 drift further apart for backup purposes. I did have my XTL die at a gig with no backup, which is when I got the X3L... The night of the gig though, I was dead in the water, had to run home and grab my regular guitar amp, but it was not easy to switch in & out of acceptable clean/dirty sounds... We had to start about 45 minutes late -- not a pretty sight.

I am an engineer, and do believe in contingency plans, because sh1t does happen -- been there, done that... As far as I know, the patches will work the same by just renaming the extensions for 500 to 500X patches anyway... .

My 2 cents,

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your "2 cents". I'm having a hard time following how you managed to get those 500 tones to open in your new 500X. I just "upgraded" from a 300 to the new 500X and was excited to download some of them but, alas, I cannot and thus am here for a solution.

I know this may be alot to ask but is there anyway you might reply with a step-by-step of what you did for those of us who need it spelled out in crayon?

Thanks in advance.

To get HD500 tones into your HD500x:

- download an HD500 tone file to a folder on your computer

- run HD500x Edit with your HD500x device connected via usb

- drag/drop the HD500 tone file from your computer folder into any preset slot in the HD500x Edit window

- audition your tone (listen to it)

- if you like the tone, tweak it further if desired

- when no further tweaking is required, SEND the preset to your HD500x device

Silverhead covered it for drag & drop, or you could rename it to the 500X file name extension -- 500 would be "PatchName.h5e" then rename the file "PatchName.5xe" I think 5xe is the extension. I did it with set lists from my 500 to the 500X and changed it from "SetListName.h5s" to "SetListName.5xs" then used the 500X WB software and go navigate to the folder and load 'em that way.... And the whole set list as I have it in my 500 was in my 500X - didn't do it patch by patch...

Dave