Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A quick question on connections

aepoc

I connect my Helix to my Yamaha HS5's, and it sounds great.  Of course, I want to use the HS5's as the reference speakers for my computer/DAW as well, as I use Reaper and EZ Drummer 2, etc.  I record from Helix to PC via USB.  The HS5 speakers have XLR and 1/4" inputs, but apparently only one input can be used at a time.

Playing through the Helix to the speakers without having the PC on is a big plus for me, which is why the speakers are directly connected to the XLR outs on the Helix.  At the same time, I don't always want to have to turn the Helix on (being the "soundcard/interface") when I'm working on mixing, drums, or just youtube/etc.

I'd prefer to not have to change connections all the time.  Is there an easy way to set this up?  I think my brain is over-analyzing this issue.  Sorry if it's a simple solution.   :blink:

I use a similar setup. Since you have the Helix XLR's to the monitors, connect your PC audio outputs to the 1/4" monitor inputs. When Helix is connected, it becomes your computer's sound card and so the audio outputs from your computer will be bypassed and your speakers will receive Helix+Computer combined signal. When Helix is off, your computer's soundcard will be active and you will hear its output.

In both situations your speakers are only using one input at a time.

• Upvote 2

I tried having both the XLR and 1/4" inputs in use last night, and the volume seemed significantly lower.  I will try tonight with different cables.  My backup methods will be to incorporate my (at the moment unused) Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 and balanced cables.  Otherwise, I'm thinking this would work:  

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068OGY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1GG6M3K7OUABK&coliid=IA4HN3NMJXY0N 

Though I'd prefer to NOT spend much money, if at all possible.

I use a similar setup. Since you have the Helix XLR's to the monitors, connect your PC audio outputs to the 1/4" monitor inputs. When Helix is connected, it becomes your computer's sound card and so the audio outputs from your computer will be bypassed and your speakers will receive Helix+Computer combined signal. When Helix is off, your computer's soundcard will be active and you will hear its output.

Hopefully this will work with better cables.  Pretty sure I was using HOSA unbalanced 1/4" last night, and the hum/noise drove me mad :D

We've had six or eight Helices outside QA, powered on 24/7 for at least a few months. It's too young a product for me to say "sure, go ahead and leave that sucker on," but so far, all of them work perfectly.

Very interesting... and good to know.  Thanks for that.

So, having both XLR and 1/4" connections at once works, but there's a fairly significant volume difference when the computer is on and I'm playing through the Helix (out of the XLR outputs).  For example, I could have the large volume knob on the Helix maxed, and it'll be a decent volume with the computer on.  When the computer is off, to get that same volume (out of the same speakers) the Helix volume knob has to go down to about halfway, maybe a touch higher.  Strange.  I wonder if a speaker switcher would be a better way to do it.  Or as some of you have said here.... a small mixer.

That's basically what I'm doing.. but there's a huge volume difference between when the computer is on vs when it's off.  Very strange.